Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Festival in Marlay Park 3rd/4th August?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Mtvireland tweeted #MCD planning August bank holiday multi stage gig in marlay park.. maybe they know something..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hot Press

MCD and Festival Republic have applied for a licence to run further August 3 and 4 shows in Marlay Park, but contrary to speculation elsewhere it’s not being used as an alternative venue for Oxegen, which is staying in its Punchestown home.

Unlike the upcoming Longitude, which has an audience cap of 10,000, the gigs will run each day from noon to 11pm and have a maximum attendance of 30,000. There will be three stages – a main outdoor one, and two tents with respective capacities of 4,428 and 1,968. It’s over-18s only, which rules out two days of boy band-ry!

Hot Press expects a line-up announcement next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Could see this being a rock/metal type thingie - Green Day, System of a Down, Deftones, Bring Me the Horizon and that sort've stuff all playing festivals that week

Dare we think a reading-esque type event..

Also.. dodntt i say MCD would be able.. :P

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Dare we think a reading-esque type event..

Also.. dodntt i say MCD would be able.. :P

Would be awesome if so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Clemenza wrote: »
    Could see this being a rock/metal type thingie - Green Day, System of a Down, Deftones, Bring Me the Horizon and that sort've stuff all playing festivals that week
    over 2 days, 3 stages, and 3 times the capacity of Longitude, MCD would be mental to think they could get anywhere near selling that out, especially with only 6 weeks advance notice.
    would have to have several much bigger bands on the lineup to even make it likely.
    just looking at Green Day and Deftones tour dates, neither are in Europe around that weekend, and BMTH are playing in the USA that weekend, so won't be there.
    they'd be much better off just having a 1-stage gig like Marley Park gigs in the past, but if anything, you'd think they'd run them a few weeks later when R&L are on, like they've done in previous years.

while Hot Press sometimes know things in advance, they're often completely wrong when it comes to their speculation, and complete shots in the dark. maybe they have inside info on this, but i wouldn't be betting my house on it...

over 2 days, 3 stages, and 3 times the capacity of Longitude, MCD would be mental to think they could get anywhere near selling that out, especially 6 weeks in advance.
    would have to have several much bigger bands on the lineup to even make it likely.
    just looking at Green Day and Deftones tour dates, neither are in Europe around that weekend, and BMTH are playing in the USA that weekend, so won't be there.

while Hot Press sometimes know things in advance, they're often completely wrong when it comes to their speculation, and complete shots in the dark. maybe they have inside info on this, but i wouldn't be betting my house on it...

Mike from Green Day has said they'll be around the UK again this year, so could be back in August before they headline reading and leeds. Green Day were home at the weekend and instagramed it's the last time they'll be home for a while so its a possibility.
    Muse are completely free that weekend and are in Europe until the following week and Fall Out Boy are also free.

Lots of the Reading acts, who could sell quite well here are free, so it could be a very real possibility

Hot Press were right when it came to the oxegen line-up genre ages before anyone else so they're probably correct when it comes to the festival.

Lets not forget when it was Muse recently in the o2 MCD only gave 3/4 weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

It'd be great if it was a couple of rock concerts, but they'd be mental putting it that weekend with such little notice. That's the same weekend as Oxegen, Indiependence and Castlepalooza (IIRC) and only two weeks after Longtitude and the two Phoenix Park gigs, as well as ten days before the Tennants Vital gigs in Belfast. Who do they think still has the money for gig tickets?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Hot Press were right when it came to the oxegen line-up genre ages before anyone else so they're probably correct when it comes to the festival.
    Jim Carroll in the IT had it well before them IIRC

It'd be great if it was a couple of rock concerts, but they'd be mental putting it that weekend with such little notice. That's the same weekend as Oxegen, Indiependence and Castlepalooza (IIRC) and only two weeks after Longtitude and the two Phoenix Park gigs, as well as ten days before the Tennants Vital gigs in Belfast. Who do they think still has the money for gig tickets?!

Yea could be risky with 30,000 capacity and multi stages and only a few weeks to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

I heard that they are going to move oxegen ,If the sales don't pick up!
    Edit:It has to be oxegen ''there will be a main stage, and two tents.''
    Does there be tents at a rock concert?Don't dj's normally play in tents?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's not the stress its the cost, does the cost involved in moving the event make it worthwhile? I can't see them being able to back out of punchestown at this hour without incurring some heavy costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Only seen this thread now. Apparently something was mentioned about the Stone Roses in Marlay park on Today FM last week. I thought they meant an addition to Longitude but it may well be this gig in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

If MCD go ahead with "possible" rock/indie gigs at such short notice, they must have some major acts with fairly strong support bill lined up!!

You would think a headline act like Muse, Green Day or Stone Roses with one of the following support acts; Biffy Clyro, Stereophonics, Beady Eye, NIN or Fall Out Boy would sell well.

Throw in some other acts like the Editors, Foals, Jake Bugg, The Courteeners, Miles Kane etc for added appeal.

Given that Blur are playing on 1st August, it would make a great few days of music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

I think a lineup of stone roses and beady eye one day and muse or green day with biffy clyro another day would sell well imo even with short notice. Add in some lesser known bands/djs then to fill up the lineup.

Cant see Stereophonics playing it though since they already have 2 arena dates later on in the year

Muse played Marlay Park in 2008 so I think they've outgrown the place at this stage.

Plus I expect them to play the Aviva at some stage this year.

Muse played Marlay Park in 2008 so I think they've outgrown the place at this stage.

2008 was the height of muse's popularity here, plus Marlay Park is 30,000, definitely big enough for Muse.

Think this could be Muse/Green Day headlining with Biffy and FOB supporting.

Not a hope they would play Aviva , They have not gotten any bigger since the last Marlay Park gig . Through in Muse/Biffy and should sell well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Metallica, Pearl Jam & The Foos would be nice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I guess the headliners will be big enough seeing as they're announcing this so late. Might be completely off but Iron Maiden said on Saturday night that they're playing London that same weekend. And they are set up for outdoor gigs this Summer. Would be surprised if there are loads of Reading/Leeds bands at this (with the exception of headliners and UK bands) cause that means they have to travel here at the start of August and then again at the end.

Maiden are playing that weekend in london and dont have any other gigs booked for a bit either side of that. Thing is Metallica pulled in about 40k at marlay park last time, I can't see Maiden reaching 30k unless there was another big name ot two on the bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Maiden have also said they will "Finish off their European Tour" with the London show on the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,425 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why could they not announce this festival earlier.

cant afford or get the time off work that weekend

Bambi wrote: »
    Maiden are playing that weekend in london and dont have any other gigs booked for a bit either side of that. Thing is Metallica pulled in about 40k at marlay park last time, I can't see Maiden reaching 30k unless there was another big name ot two on the bill

How do you know Metallica pulled in 40,000 last time? I would have said it was closer to half that. Didn't even know Marley could take 40,000.

Yeah Maiden wouldn't be able to fill it, especially with 6 weeks to go. But with a few big names and three full stages of music you could probably push 15,000+ per day, which would be good enough I guess.

fewtins wrote: »
    How do you know Metallica pulled in 40,000 last time? I would have said it was closer to half that. Didn't even know Marley could take 40,000.

Yeah Maiden wouldn't be able to fill it, especially with 6 weeks to go. But with a few big names and three full stages of music you could probably push 15,000+ per day, which would be good enough I guess.

That would be more than what oxegen's sold :P

Maiden have also said they will "Finish off their European Tour" with the London show on the 3rd.

Maiden are really bad for announcing gigs one after another like that though, Download was their only UK gig of 2013 and even though it's not announced he told us all on Saturday night that there's gonna be two nights in London :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Just the announcement I was hoping for.....Daft Punk due to play Marlay Park this summer:eek:

http://www.mcd.ie/DaftPunk_MarlayPark

fewtins wrote: »

I dont, I read it on the internets at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Just the announcement I was hoping for.....Daft Punk due to play Marlay Park this summer:eek:

http://www.mcd.ie/DaftPunk_MarlayPark

Oh you got me. You got me good.

Advertisement