Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Festival in Marlay Park 3rd/4th August?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its looking like it will be the likes of the stone roses playing. I was hoping for a couple of days of rock and metal. Hopefully there is something for the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

I'm also baffled by this.

Why apply for permission and then do nothing? The licence application is very specific - a multi-stage (3) pop/dance event on two days for an 18-30 age group.

This would appear to rule out the likes of Stone Roses , Muse etc as why would you need those extra stages? Why bother building extra stages and booking and paying for all those extra acts when the main draw, the only draw, are the headliners?

It would appear to be an Oxegen fallback as many have mentioned and the fact that they're put day tickets on sale for half the price they used to be indicates that ticket sales for it are poor and need a shot in the arm.

Could it be that they were aiming to have Marlay as a fallback for Oxegen and hoped that no-one would notice the application? That all changed when Jim Carroll broke the story hence the rumours via Una Mullally about The Stone Roses, which have not come to pass.

It's a very strange set-to as there are now just five weeks to sell the shows if they happen, which is a very short window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah it's a bit weird. They wouldn't put up three stages if the headliners were big, but they wouldn't put on tickets on sale for a 30,000 capacity field <6 weeks before the gig, if the headliners weren't huge, so I can't really imagine who it's gonna be.

Stone Roses would sell enough tickets fast enough to make putting this on worthwhile, but according to boards they were also playing Oxegen, phoenix park, Electric picnic etc etc. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

fewtins wrote: »
    Yeah it's a bit weird. They wouldn't put up three stages if the headliners were big, but they wouldn't put on tickets on sale for a 30,000 capacity field <6 weeks before the gig, if the headliners weren't huge, so I can't really imagine who it's gonna be.

Stone Roses would sell enough tickets fast enough to make putting this on worthwhile, but according to boards they were also playing Oxegen, phoenix park, Electric picnic etc etc. :p

The same stone roses who failed to sell the phoenix park last year? Not a hope would they sell it out.. i doubt anyone,barring ACDC could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They did sell out the Phoenix Park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Doesn't the planning application say 18-30 year old will primarily be attending? The majority of Stone Roses fans would be closer to 40 I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

One things for sure..were all hopin for a good ol rock n roll summer bash!!..and still holding the faith that we will get it..but just in case we dont here is your one that 'broke' the stone roses story on today fm.. http://www.google.ie/#gs_rn=17&gs_ri=psy-ab&suggest=p&cp=7&gs_id=s&xhr=t&q=una+mullally&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=una+mul&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=ebf00664f033179b&biw=1680&bih=935&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b ..so either way see ye all in Marley on the 3rd of August with your voodoo dolls,your copies of the Irish Times and a few tinnies for a burning at the stake:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

My dad works for Heineken and says they've sold less than 15,000 tickets for Oxegen and it IS getting moved to Marlay Park.

He's usually spot on with this sort of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The same stone roses who failed to sell the phoenix park last year? Not a hope would they sell it out.. i doubt anyone,barring ACDC could.

Yeah they did sell it out, about 7 months before the gig as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Clemenza wrote: »
    My dad works for Heineken and says they've sold less than 15,000 tickets for Oxegen and it IS getting moved to Marlay Park.

I say your dad is right. Punchestown is way to big for <30k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

nelson-muntz.gif

RayCon wrote: »
    nelson-muntz.gif

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

thanks for the entertainment reading through the pages here folks ;-))))
    not slagging anyone off - we all do it - just funny the way we decide such and such a band is definitely playing, then discount them and then decide they are playing again........

for my two cents - very odd for MCD to announce a new gig that will be on in 6weeks and looking for that capacity crowd, they normally like having the money in the bank months in advance, but maybe the other plans for the end of August just weren't possible so they've changed them. I never believe what newspapers/media say is on until a Gig is confirmed by the promoters or the band themselves, they are always saying big gigs are on that never materialise, never apologise afterwards for getting things wrong....

considering the amount of stuff on the the amount of gigs recently announced for later in the year it will have to be a big enough name act (from whatever genre) to sell it at such short notice, I would love there to be a proper Rock fest but I don't see that happening as the time to do that would be same weekend as Download or Reading/Leeds when the bands can just drop over here easily enough.

we'll find out in the next few days if it's anything new or it it's just Oxygen being moved.....if that's the case I can't see them getting much more of a crowd than they already have tickets sold for it, but they would need less staff/facilities etc for Marlay so they mightn't save anything extra but could cut some of their logistical stuff on that end..........but as others have said they'll have a nightmare with refunds etc......could backfire and they'd loose even more people from the small crowd they apparently have now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

They'd probably wanna stop advertising that it's on in punchestown then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Also if there is a new festival in Marley i could def see The Script headlining one of the nights . They could easily sella **** load of tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Also if there is a new festival in Marley i could def see The Script headlining one of the nights . They could easily sella **** load of tickets

Theyre in america that weekend

http://www.thescriptmusic.com/ie/live/upcoming/all

davywalsh7 wrote: »

Ah right , surprised they have not announced a show here over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Are yee all just naming your favourite bands as prospects for this thing?

Bambi wrote: »
    Are yee all just naming your favourite bands as prospects for this thing?

Oh god no , Was just thinking of bands who could sell a good bit of tickets if this is too happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Only thing any of us know for sure is that if it's something new it has to be announced in the next two days.....even now it's ambitious to sell something that big at this time of the year with other things already on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

nothing yet?

allanb49 wrote: »
    nothing yet?

Still nuffink

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2013/06/28/testing-the-laws-of-supply-and-demand-in-irish-fields-and-parks/
    For all that, we may yet see more events on the schedule. One of the most intriguing documents around at present is application number OEL 02/13, lodged by Festival Republic and MCD Concerts on May 24 last with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council for shows at Marlay Park on August 3 and 4.

Since this news was broken by On the Record, there has been much speculation about these mooted shows. There’s talk of Oxegen moving to South County Dublin (the application was for a 30,000 capacity, three stage dance/pop event for 18 to 25 year olds which sounds about right, though it would be a sorry pass for the festival which still boasts that it is “widely regarded as one of the world’s top music festivals” and was once a 80,000 capacity beano) and there’s also speculation about a Stone Roses’ gig.

Right now, it’s anyone’s guess what’s going on, but surely the promoters didn’t spend €2,500 on the application just for the lolz?

surely the promoters didn’t spend €2,500 on the application just for the lolz?

True , but €2,500 is nothing to them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nothing is gonna happen at Marlay, it was purely a back up plan for Poxygen, as Furious said, 2.5k is nothing to MCD, a small price to pay as a back up, they've obviously decided to run wit poxygen at Punchestown now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

but Hot Press say it's not and that there's actually another festival planned there :rolleyes:

but Hot Press say it's not and that there's actually another festival planned there :rolleyes:

Oh right, Hot Press said it, gotta be true then :rolleyes:

A main reason why they won't have another festival is security, they're gonna need a LOT at Poxygen and to be honest, there's not enough security guys in the country to cover 2 major festivals on the same weekend.

After last years Phoenix park debacle the one thing they can't take a risk on is security.

Without doubt this was a back up for Poxygen

scudzilla wrote: »
    A main reason why they won't have another festival is security, they're gonna need a LOT at Poxygen and to be honest, there's not enough security guys in the country to cover 2 major festivals on the same weekend.

After last years Phoenix park debacle the one thing they can't take a risk on is security.

You like saying Poxygen, don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

scudzilla wrote: »

Well they get security from England..so security would not be a problem.

Advertisement