Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Evolution

• 12-06-2013 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Ment to post about this several times and forgot.

Has anyone been watching it?

Its been on the last 10 weeks on Sky Arts and basically traced metal from its beginnings through most of the sub genres.Some cracking stuff in it, great interviews and a really enjoyable watch as a metal fan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great series,it's been on a few times and there's a couple of threads here about it. The fact that the guy is so into it and not some randomer who spouts every stereotype and cliche about Metal made it so interesting.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have them all saved on Sky+. Excellent documentary, and I love how brutally honest he is about what he's into and not into but still makes time for it. Unfortunate how he wasn't able to categorise Pantera and give them more time, but then again I am biased on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

I also have them all saved on Sky from a year ago or so. Very good series that you can put on now and again. \m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I've still a few episodes to watch. I torrented them all and after watching the initial 3 or so episodes I started picking and choosing the ones I wanted to watch relevant to my preferences. The power metal one I was most interested in, it was good to see Sonata Arctica even get a few passing references but Sam spent a little too much time talking to HammerFall, who're fairly bog standard as the genre stands. And that section with Dragonforce/Guitar Hero was just dreadful, horrible band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Never heard of this before today, looks really interesting. Obtaining now to watch!

Cheers OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Really enjoyed it when it was shown last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I really enjoyed the series. I'd not have spent a whole episode on grunge but that's just a personal thing. I'd also have liked to see more attention given to Pantera and how bands like them helped shape the next generation like my beloved Lamb of God, but again that's subjective and we'll all have preferences.

The big selling point for me is that it was made by a guy who loves metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

arent they the same guys who did flight 666 and beyond the lighted stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

I caught it recently. Loved the power metal episode as that's where my own tastes lie mostly. As a relative "newcomer" to being a full-on metalhead, I also enjoyed the early background episodes.

Didn't find the whole grunge/postgrunge and progressive episodes that interesting though.

Certainly missed an episode on death metal/black metal and possibly even an episode on folk metal, seeing how that's slowly becoming bigger everywhere in Europe these days.

Then again, when the kid didn't even really know what power metal was, what are the odds that he'd know folk metal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Just finished myself a couple of days ago.

There was an absence of black and death metal which I would have found pretty interesting but I read that TV Networks didn't want it so they guys who made it were trying to fundraise to make it. Both black and death would be covered in one episode 'Extreme Metal'

The presenter wrote this a few months ago.

Hey everyone,

We’ve reached the end of the Extreme Metal IndieGoGo campaign and I want to sincerely thank everyone who made a contribution. We raised $39,359 and we’re thankful that so many people rallied to the cause of Extreme Metal. All the perks will be delivered in February, except for the Extreme Metal episode itself, which will be delivered later in 2013 when the episode is complete.

And even though we didn’t reach our goal through IndieGoGo, we’re not giving up. We’ll be back in early 2013 to announce our strategy for turning this episode into a reality. So don’t fear, the Extreme Metal episode will be made!

In closing, I leave you with a lyrical passage from the late Chuck Shuldiner (1967-2001), leader of the pioneering Extreme Metal band Death. His words have inspired us during the campaign…

Won’t you join me on the perennial quest
    Reaching into the dark, retrieving light
    Search for answers on the perennial quest
    Where dreams are followed, and time is a test

Horns.
    Sam

Whether that means it's definitely coming out or not I don't know.

Anyway, the rest of the series was very enjoyable, particularly enjoyed the early episodes.

Advertisement