Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching History and CSPE

• 12-06-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey there. I would love to teach history, absolutely love to, but I wouldn't particularly like to teach any other subject, except CSPE. I wouldn't mind teaching CSPE, in fact I find the subject really interesting. My question is this: is it possible to teach these two subjects only? Would a school be inclined to employ somebody with a HDip in only these two subjects? If there is any chance that they do, I will pursue this dream, because it's what I really want to do. Please, if you have any knowledge in this area, reply to this post. Thank you. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Do you have a history and sociology degree to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

With the new Junior Cert, CSPE will end up becoming a short course. You would be best to have another subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tvnutz wrote: »
    With the new Junior Cert, CSPE will end up becoming a short course. You would be best to have another subject.

That depends whether they finally introduce the LC Politics and Society course or not. I wouldn't write CSPE (or a reincarnation) off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

spurious wrote: »
    That depends whether they finally introduce the LC Politics and Society course or not. I wouldn't write CSPE (or a reincarnation) off.

I wish they would introduce that Politics and Society,it could be very interesting. Is there any movement on that do you know?

CSPE completely reinvented would also be a good subject. Might finally be able to put my BA and MA in Sociology to good use! :P But last I heard from the Junior Cycle Reform was that CSPE would be relegated to a short course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's all up in the air. By the time they get round to introducing it, the syllabus could be wildly out of date. There will also be a cost implication for introducing a whole new course.

From what we've been hearing the JC proposed reforms are expected to be implemented on a cheapo model, so that is what we are stuck for for the foreseeable future.

Of course in whatever number of years time as we plummet in international rankings then maybe it will dawn on someone that if you do not spend on education, the facilities, the courses and the practitioners, you end up with a pile of steaming stuff. We're well on the way already.

If we ever get a government again that realises the education system cannot and never should be run as a business, there might be a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I personally wouldn't employ just a history teacher or history with CSPE teacher as its hard to fill the timetable especially as it may be optional in the new Junior Cert. You really need another "big" subject to increase your employability e.g. english or geog etc

Advertisement