Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Zephyr/Zodiac Mk3

• 12-06-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi All,
    As some of you know I have a 65 Zodiac auto (DZI)-Dublin,
    And recently became keeper of a 64 Zephyr 4 (BDI)-Roscommon,
    I am aware of one other Z4 in Dublin (DI)-also Roscommon,
    also know of 6-7 others, some ZV some year plated.
    have recently read ( Honest John Classics) only 940 left in the UK.
    I would like to compose some sort of 'Register' to see how many are here in Eire.(driving, under repair, or rust in peace), - more for my own interest than anything else- but if enough interest-maybe have a meet up - it would be worth it just for the photo.
    Any takers - post here, PM me, or if you know of anyone who is not on the forum let me know how to contact them (by PM- discretion assured:)) and I'll try to put something together.
    Cheers,
    Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

DSC08891.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC08968.jpg

DSC08966.jpg

DSC08965.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

DSC01185.jpg

FordZodiacBlue.jpg

FordZodiac.jpg

FordZodiacWhite.jpg

FordZodiacMK3Est-1.jpg

FordZodiacKillarney2006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I think there was an old hearse for sale on Adverts.ie some time ago, a red one, DIE reg. number iirc? The JPI reg. estate's a beauty, have an IMPY dinky one, one of my favourites.

Image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Don't forget our old friend:)

regdie222hearse_zps05a111e5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ikb wrote: »
    ) only 940 left in the UK.

940! Thats loads! I would never have said that many.

One we had here was 66KY515. It was living in Cork last time i heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

Oh my God!..... They are everywhere.(Which is great).
    I am aware of 5 of the above - Its good to know there is more.
    @ Carchaeologist, 940 is loads, and it probably does not account for ones off the road for repair or restoration.
    @ Grimreaper 666, I have seen a pic of DIE 666 one time ( There are two more I know of one is MZE the second YIY - they supposedly went into storage with some guy near Hollywood-Wicklow, who hires period cars to the film industry, everyone knows him but nobody seems to have a contact for him?).
    Thanks to all for the pics/info...........Keep them coming,
    Cheers,
    P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Oh my God!..... They are everywhere.(Which is great).
    I am aware of 5 of the above - Its good to know there is more.
    @ Carchaeologist, 940 is loads, and it probably does not account for ones off the road for repair or restoration.
    @ Grimreaper 666, I have seen a pic of DIE 666 one time ( There are two more I know of one is MZE the second YIY - they supposedly went into storage with some guy near Hollywood-Wicklow, who hires period cars to the film industry, everyone knows him but nobody seems to have a contact for him?).
    Thanks to all for the pics/info...........Keep them coming,
    Cheers,
    P.

Did you bring over any from the UK with you, or did you find them here ?

The DZI one might have been Garda or Ministerial , the JPI estate was probably Ford of Cork originally.

If I see Stephen ( film guy ) I'll tell him about register, and there's another Ford guy near Laragh tho' I don't think he's got any Z cars :cool:

Thanks Capri,
    I was born and reared in Dublin.
    Bought DZI about 9 years ago, Original owner was a Tea & Sugar Merchant in Crown alley (apparently had a bad leg - that's why she's auto).
    Two years ago - had no work so (stupidly) left her under cover, the damp went through her and the sills are shot (among other things).
    Went looking for something I could harvest a few panels off - BDI was all I could turn up.
    Both being original Irish cars makes them precious, so I have doubled my trouble - instead of halving them.
    I am in the middle of welding up BDI at the moment (I will try to post a pic later).
    Would love to talk to the film guy - i'll PM you my number.
    Cheers for now.
    P.

• Advertisement

Kilbeggan2010018.jpg

31338_401261234751_5265665_n.jpg

From Co Galway, was maroon originally.
    There was a grey 4 in Galway too, it might be in storage, the owner is more of a Cortina collector

DSC05917-1.jpg

zodiac002.jpg
    Riverstown Co Sligo. photo was taken in 2007

That's my baby DZI 388.
    Cheers Blue - keep them coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They're a gorgeous old main battle tank, them. My father had a couple of them way back in the day. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

940 is an amazing number..... i feel there is an error there.

I don't know Corkey,
    It is according to Honest John Classics:http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/ford/zephyrzodiac-mk3/
    I suppose for a car that was only made for three years or so, Its not bad.
    I just Love them to bits..
    P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

Useful link Kaspar,
    If I am reading it correct - about 80 Zodiacs and 30-35 Zephyrs.
    Cheers,
    P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Useful link Kaspar,
    If I am reading it correct - about 80 Zodiacs and 30-35 Zephyrs.
    Cheers,
    P.

Thats much more like it! 940 was way too many.

Thats much more like it! 940 was way too many.

You are busting my bubble man:(
    There I was getting my hopes up:cool:
    Ah..... Well.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Useful link Kaspar

Only as useful as the flaky DVLA data, which was/still is lousy for older stuff. Only in recent times have they tried to tighten it up.

• Advertisement

998134_540159019378465_1190740485_n.jpg

At the Castlehackett show last Sunday(photo from South Galway Vintage Club facebook page)

letterkenny8.jpg

Found on photobucket

Heres where I am

2012-04-01132008.jpg

Say the neighbours love ya :P

I was in a similar position with my Celica Supra A60 :rolleyes:

A nice set of Quinn style plates would set off DZI, but least of your worries ? ;)

http://www.pkphotography.ie/photo_6657588.html#photos_id=6657588

OK Guys,
    In just two days we have identified no fewer than...... (den,den den....)
    Twenty four:eek: Mk3 Zephyr/Zodiac's that do or did exist in Eire (the oldest pic that I can date is from 2005).
    Thanks to all who have contributed (and please don't stop)...so far -
    Kudos to Blue 850 -who supplied the most photos;), which helps as I can assign a colour, approximate year, and (guess at) the general area the car was seen in.
    I won't publish the info - as some guys are a bit funny about having their reg bandied about in public, and - as yet.... Not one single owner has contacted me (directly or indirectly):confused:..... but its early days yet:) and I live in hope.
    I will spread the word further afield, and indeed if any of you guys come across any Mk3 Zed owners point them my way ( I don't really want to put my number up here - yet anyway).

The Numbers...(So Far)...:

Mk3 Zodiac....15, Including 3 Hearse and 2 Estates,
    8 on original Irish plates, 4 on year related, 3 on ZV.
    Mk3 Zephyr6.... (And I'm amazed at this)....4 of.. 2 on Irish plates,2 on ZV.
    Mk3 Zephyr4.... 9....3 Irish, 3 on year related, 1 on ZV, 2 on UK plates.

I never thought Z6 sold here at all.
    Delighted I am, Hope to hook up with some fellow owners ( I am aware of 5 or 6 - and none of those have a Z6:D).
    Keep the info coming in - Thanks again to all.
    Paul.

zephyr6.jpg

1965 Irish ad for Zephyr 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

^, Take you into the high 90's:eek: tut, tut:)

There were never many Zephyr 6's sold compared with the Zephyr 4 's and Zodiacs . I must ask a guy who worked in Autocars when I see him Monday - knows old Ford parts no's off by heart ( so he says:rolleyes: )

DSC02791.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

Another one!, from Eyrecourt Vintage show today in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

EKI 938 pictured at a run back in the late 80s, don't know if it is still around.

ekia_zps3d9c5e92.jpg

ekib_zpscb7222b3.jpg

Reg shows up on Cartell - so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlmac

I think there was an old hearse for sale on Adverts.ie some time ago, a red one, DIE reg. number iirc? The JPI reg. estate's a beauty, have an IMPY dinky one, one of my favourites.

I have just acquired this. DIE 222. Cool reg for a hearse. She needs a bit of work though. I,m getting quotes for bodywork and painting at the moment, but I need an engine rebuild.Would you have any idea where I can get info on this. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

hi karlmac , best of luck with your new purchase ,

not sure if your hearse is a zephyr or a zodiac ??

id say its the later but if not i have a spare 4 cylinder zephyr engine under the bench here if your stuck !

i probably have a few more bits if you need them , i know i have a mint bonnet doors and boot lid from a zodi executive up in the loft .

pm me if you need anything , regards terry .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlmac

Hi Terry,thanks for that. She is Zodiac with a 6 cylinder engine. Would you have any parts for this or do you know where I can source them?.
    Regards Karl

oh right apart from the doors and that i dont have any zodiac stuff unfortunately , there is a chap in the uk that i deal with a lot , he is over and back to kildare regularly and he breaks a lot of zodiacs and zephyr's , i will pm you his details , he might be worth an email or phone call .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Looking through the photos it brings back great memories from my youth , had a navy blue Zephyr 4, OIU 506, in its latter days of my ownership the gearbox gave trouble and I remember fitting a box with overdrive. Anybody remember the old taxi man in Tuam who was still using one for work until the 80s, it was Galway regd?

my ould fella was just talking about that taxi man the other day , he used to go to galway from sligo on a regular basis and he used to have to go through tuam and he would always spot the balck zephyr in the square !!!!

I wonder was the black taxi replaced by a green Cortina Mk V that was a taxi in Tuam well into the 90s, always based around the Square.

DSC02971.jpg

another I spotted in Terenure in 2013

Advertisement