Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computing in software development

• 12-06-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Well, i really want to do this course in gmit, but the points went up by 40 points last year! i dont know much about the points system but could it jump another 40 points this year seeing as there are jobs in the IT sector?
    I hope it doesnt , really want the course!
    Tagged:

Comments

There are a lot of jobs in the programming sector. I did this course and ended up dropping out of it - not because it was difficult, but because it just wasn't for me. Do you have a passion for programming? Are you willing to put in the work? Then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dooneenfc

There are a lot of jobs in the programming sector. I did this course and ended up dropping out of it - not because it was difficult, but because it just wasn't for me. Do you have a passion for programming? Are you willing to put in the work? Then you should be fine.

Well i havnt really any experience in programming, I just have an intrest in computers and this course looks pretty good! How did you find the maths in the course? Is there alot of it or is it just grand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

I've just completed first year of this course, its not too bad there's roughly 4 hours of a dedicated maths programme throughout the year. If you did honours Maths in the LC you'll be fine but if you did pass it shouldn't be too much of a step up with abit of study, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jones85

If your are into programming/coding (java, C#) then yes, If you have zero knowledge of these then avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

jones85 wrote: »
    If your are into programming/coding (java, C#) then yes, If you have zero knowledge of these then avoid.
    Well, to be honest I had zero knowledge at the start of first year but with a bit of study and taking the time to sit down and get your head around the logic its not too bad,
    yes the going gets tough at times but its definately do able if you have an interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rolo454

I also had zero knowledge of java and C# and I came out top of the year at the end of first year. Just goes to show, it's about how much you put in.
    Many people who know how to code end up being lazy because they're bored from the get go.
    If you have an interest, you're set!

Also I hadn't done maths in years, did terrible at PASS maths in LC and I ended up with 90+% as my end result.

Just turn up to class and study when exams and projects are coming up and you'll do very well.

Also never miss a Java tutorial!
    And try to go to all of the other tutorials, although it may be hard due to a certain mad hatter; humorous but hard to endure.

Overall it's a fantastic course with many fantastic lecturers.
    All you need is an interest, some commitment and a bit of passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MikeRotch65

Yeah, I'm really interested in this course, but I want to go into gaming design & development. Would this course be suitable for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

If you are going into computing, save yourself some time now. Once you are done reading this post, start learning straight C on Linux (or Windows, but it tends to be easier on Linux as the compilers and debuggers are built in). Get the basics down at least.

By the time you get to learning Java or any other language you will already have wrapped your head around the important stuff. A small bit of work now can save a lot if time in future :)

Not to mention, as a general rule, learning Java or any other "interpreted" language before learning C leads to learning bad programming habits, leading to serious headaches later in your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fender102

that's bull****, stop putting people off the course, pretty much everyone had no knowledge of coding, they start completely from scratch so anyone can do it

I'm nearly finished the first semester of the second year of this course.
    We learned the following languages in this order:

1st Year:
    Java
    HTML
    CSS
    C#

2nd Year
    C#
    XAML (for windows phone development, same as XML)
    C
    Android (in second semester)

You need to have no knowledge at all of maths of programming to do this course, absolutely zero!
    You just need a passion for computers and the craving to learn.

I would recommend going onto code academy and doing the web development course (takes a few days to do)
    Then going to "theNewBoston" website and learning Java.

Just learn Java, get good at it, use Eclipse to develop in.
    If you can finish off all the beginner course at the new boston and you practice each video and understand it then you have first year Java covered ;)

It's an amazing course, we do so much practical stuff.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mizzstefan

Hello I'm wondering if you took a professional certification in third year such as oracle certified Java programming or oracle certified MySQL administrator and how many semesters was it and we're business computing and digital media part of the class
    rolo454 wrote: »
    I'm nearly finished the first semester of the second year of this course.
    We learned the following languages in this order:

1st Year:
    Java
    HTML
    CSS
    C#

2nd Year
    C#
    XAML (for windows phone development, same as XML)
    C
    Android (in second semester)

You need to have no knowledge at all of maths of programming to do this course, absolutely zero!
    You just need a passion for computers and the craving to learn.

I would recommend going onto code academy and doing the web development course (takes a few days to do)
    Then going to "theNewBoston" website and learning Java.

Just learn Java, get good at it, use Eclipse to develop in.
    If you can finish off all the beginner course at the new boston and you practice each video and understand it then you have first year Java covered ;)

It's an amazing course, we do so much practical stuff.

Best of luck with it!

Mizzstefan wrote: »
    Hello I'm wondering if you took a professional certification in third year such as oracle certified Java programming or oracle certified MySQL administrator and how many semesters was it and we're business computing and digital media part of the class

We did not do any professional certifications.
    Although one of the lecturers Naomi recommended strongly that we get the Java and/or MySQL Oracle certifications.
    I think perhaps one or two people did it, but it was upon their own accord.

There are various softskill/business modules throughout the course.

The most "digital media" part of the course was developing some visualisations with D3 and WebGL in JavaScript, but that was only one component of a module, very small.

If you learn software development but you have an interest in digital media you can always transfer over or pick up new digital media skills.

It's much harder to transfer from digital media to software development.

Advertisement