Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2013 Science Papers Thu. June 13th, 2013 - OL and HL

Options
  • 12-06-2013 11:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Science OL & HL
    Thursday June 13th 2013

All discussion and questions about the Science papers goes here, following the exam.

Please keep off-topic chat elsewhere.

Good luck all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Finished early, such an easy exam, so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

*walks out happily*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

How did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Just finished Science exam! :P

I have to admit, the questions were tricky but i've managed. I know I got every question right except the one with the Iron and Sulfer table as my teacher said that shouldn't be there as it's not really on the course(I gussed red for the colour of ironsulfate and got it right! ;)). I had to do the last question without a calculator, such an easy question if you have a calculator. I used up half of the rough work page at the back just to find out what 500/1.5 is ... I think I got the answer right because the answer I got seemed logical and I think a few people in my class got it too.

Overall, a good paper, probably not the easiest in the last few years, but a do-able paper. I finished early too! :D Easy A ;).

Definitely an A without any doubts (as long as I get my 35% on the other work), one question I couldn't get was the Chemical formula for the Calcium Carbonate question. Raging about that, apart from that, everything was more than do-able. How about yourself?

• Advertisement

Definitely an A without any doubts (as long as I get my 35% on the other work), one question I couldn't get was the Chemical formula for the Calcium Carbonate question. Raging about that, apart from that, everything was more than do-able. How about yourself?
    2HCL + CaCo3 ----> H20 + Co2 + CaCl2

That's what I wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hofo gin12

My teacher was really bad, so I thought it was a dodgy enough exam. Should have 35% in the bag, so I should, hopefully, get a B.

Lol, I forgot all of them, apart from Calcium due to studying the reactive effects of Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc & Carbon in water. Thanks very much. The examiner will most likely look at my answer like O.o :D

A lot of questions were similar to 2007 paper too btw. ^^

Lol, I forgot all of them, apart from Calcium due to studying the reactive effects of Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc & Carbon in water. Thanks very much. The examiner will most likely look at my answer like O.o :D

A lot of questions were similar to 2007 paper too btw. ^^
    Maybe next year will be similar to 2008? I'd be very interested if this "science" follows a hidden pattern with the structure of the questions :pac:.

I'd be useless now though, due to the syllabus being changed lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

Just home, good paper I thought. Maybe if I do well in Corsework B I can get the A I really was aiming for. On the paper alone I don't think I got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junior cert1997

Just home such an easy paper the only things that stumped me were the co2 experiment and the equation but I am still hoping for the a because my teacher said my project was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Just finished Science exam! :P

I have to admit, the questions were tricky but i've managed. I know I got every question right except the one with the Iron and Sulfer table as my teacher said that shouldn't be there as it's not really on the course(I gussed red for the colour of ironsulfate and got it right! ;)). I had to do the last question without a calculator, such an easy question if you have a calculator. I used up half of the rough work page at the back just to find out what 500/1.5 is ... I think I got the answer right because the answer I got seemed logical and I think a few people in my class got it too.

Overall, a good paper, probably not the easiest in the last few years, but a do-able paper. I finished early too! :D Easy A ;).
    When I did that reaction my iron sulphate wasn't red haha, it was more like grey/metallic :P

Not happy with how the exam was worded, ''what part of white light is refracted the most''

Too misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Average enough test. I have an awful teacher and I wasn't prepared. However I did give a logical guess for everything so I think I am capable of getting an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

Had to completely make up the carbon dioxide experiment :/ hope I get some marks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Masterful Sponge

Some questions were worded badly i thought. A if I did as well as I think I did anyway, and I get a greyish colour when I did the iron sulfied experiment too

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

Ehh... that was pretty awful. Biology wasn't too bad, as I studied it quite well. Made a bit of a failed attempt at Chemistry, and had a lot of guesses in there (did not have a clue about the CO2 experiment). Physics was pretty bad too, again with many guesses. I'm a bit disappointed, as I did study for Science quite thoroughly, but I had no recollection of the answers to a lot of the questions that came up. I would love to get a B (think I got a C in that exam, but the other stuff may bump me up to a B). Anyway, won't dwell on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

When I did that reaction my iron sulphate wasn't red haha, it was more like grey/metallic :P

Not happy with how the exam was worded, ''what part of white light is refracted the most''

Too misleading.

Ya I was so confused on that bit, I had revised light the night before and I never read anything about that. Does anyone know the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

Well i am rubbish at Science but that went really well for me :D
    I also worked really hard on my Coursework B , so hopefully because of coursework B, I'll get a B (I'll probably just get a C though :P)
    If I don't get like 90% + on coursework B I am blaming my teacher because she told me mine was perfect (and she is a really bad nd scattered teacher so...:L)

Usually kids at school who don't do any study can pass on stuff we did in class, but a lot of people walked out of Science today saying they know they failed because everyone talks/messed 24/7 in my class and whenever my teacher talks its to give out about something

So we literally did nothing in class :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Tricky enough, especially the atmosphere question we didn't do much on that I think

Too misleading.
    After the exam my teacher said it turns yellowish ... I don't care anyway, I think I got an A eitherwise :p.

juniorcert wrote: »
    Ya I was so confused on that bit, I had revised light the night before and I never read anything about that. Does anyone know the answer?
    I guessed red because red is the colour that refracts the highest. Red is the first colour of the septum so it's probably the "part of white light" that refracts the most as it starts from top to bottom, I don't know. We didn't cover that in class ... I just made an educated guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭abcdefghijkl

I guessed red too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SuperMattDude

i also said red

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

I guessed red because red is the colour that refracts the highest. Red is the first colour of the septum so it's probably the "part of white light" that refracts the most as it starts from top to bottom, I don't know. We didn't cover that in class ... I just made an educated guess.

OMG Same. That's exactly why I guessed red. Science is my fav subject but like my mom said, learning stuff from the book is not enough for this subjec. You have to learn a lot yourself. Most questions were really confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

I didn't understand the refraction question and just guessed green. Hadn't a clue.

OMG Same. That's exactly why I guessed red. Science is my fav subject but like my mom said, learning stuff from the book is not enough for this subjec. You have to learn a lot yourself. Most questions were really confusing.
    I said Red too ha ha.

I looked it up and I am still confused. That's how badly phrased the question was :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Junior cert1997

I said violet and looked it up but I'm still not sure

• Advertisement

BBC GCSE notes say

"Using a prism, you can split up white light to form a spectrum. (A prism is a block of glass with a triangular cross-section.) The light waves are refracted as they enter and leave the prism. The shorter the wavelength of the light, the more it is refracted. As a result, red light is refracted the least and violet light is refracted the most, causing the coloured light to spread out to form a spectrum."

So...violet is the answer?

Advertisement