Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2013 Religious Education Papers Thu. June 13th, 2013 - OL and HL

Options
  • 12-06-2013 11:32pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Religious Education OL & HL
    Thursday June 13th 2013

All discussion and questions about the Religious Education papers goes here, following the exam.

Please keep off-topic chat elsewhere.

Good luck all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

dodo97 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me to some main things to study for religion as I have done no revision and I dont want to fail...:/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969891&page=2

Don't worry about it too much, it's mainly easy without any study. If you wish me to write up about who Saint Vincent De Paul are, the work they do, how they're a good community etc, I will, just say so and if you need me to write up anything else, say so and I'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I got 94% on mocks without studying ... that's how easy it is and how much common sense is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dodo97

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969891&page=2

Don't worry about it too much, it's mainly easy without any study. If you wish me to write up about who Saint Vincent De Paul are, the work they do, how they're a good community etc, I will, just say so and if you need me to write up anything else, say so and I'll do it.

That would be great if you could write that and any other main points for sec4 etc. :)

Okay, I'll do it in bullet points so that you can construct your own style of sentences from there (Generally you will not need much about the founder);

• Founded by Frédéric Ozanam at the age of 20 in 1833
    • Its first work was done in the slums of Paris, France.
    • In 1853, he died at the age of only 40.

Saint Vincent De Paul Today;

• Saint Vincent De Paul are currently present in 148 countries with roughly700,000 members

• They are mainly made up of volunteers, although they also have workers who are paid.

• There is no "definite" leader, they meet in conferences to discuss matters, these conferences are held in Community centres, hospitals, schools, churches. There is however a National President & 13 Regional Presidents in Ireland, the Nation President of Ireland is Geoff Meagher.

• If a school wishes to have a meeting with a member, a member is sent to the school to tell the students about the work that they do for others

• The main jobs that are done by Saint Vincent De Paul are, home visits, meals on wheels, prison visits, they also offer financial support to families in need and will offer to do any work they can.

• The main ambition of Saint Vincent De Paul is to off aid to those in poverty.

• Saint Vincent de Paul also have multiple "shops" throughout the country which offer items at very low costs to families, these clothes are of very high standard and are not at all "cheap nor tacky".

• They offer accommodation to people and also have "holiday schemes" to help families.

• Overall, Saint Vincent de Paul provide a wide range of aid towards people in need, this is done to fulfil their ethos of "Helping everyone they can".

When it comes to writing this out if it says "Write about a community of faith which you have studied" describe the main things that they do to aid which are all above. If you done the brief for Religion and done it on Saint Vincent De Paul, that will also help as you will have a bit more information. If there is anything else that people can add, feel free to do so.

Regarding Section 4, 2012 Paper;

A. a. Dr. Yaakov Pearlman is the name of a leader associated with a community of faith in Ireland. Name another leader associated with a community of faith in Ireland.

A. a. Geoff Meagher is the National President of Saint Vincent de Paul in Ireland. (Technically Saint Vincent de Paul is a community of Faith) although, if you want, you could say "Cardinal Sean Brady is associated with the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland"

A. b. Being a leader is one part that a person can play within a community of faith. Describe what is involved in two other roles that people can have within a community of faith.

A. b. In Saint Vincent de Paul, there are many jobs, the main jobs that is done is that of the average volunteer, a volunteer is presented with the challenge of performing work for other people who are in need and who have asked Saint Vincent de Paul for their help. During this, a Saint Vincent de Paul volunteer may be asked to do a home visit in which a volunteer may have to do house chores as simple as decoration, moving furniture or even as simple as washing up. They occasionally get asked to visit a prisoner to hear anything that the prisoner may wish to pass on to his/her family. While doing "Meals On Wheels" services a volunteer will simple go around to people who may be homeless or in need of food. They will then deliver the food to them and offer them aid with anything else that they may need. One of the most common jobs for a Saint Vincent de Paul store, this job is relatively simple and requires that the volunteer act as if they were an employee of a Sole Trader and to act as professional as any other employee in the world should. Volunteers will offer their help in finding items for anyone who enters the store, will answer any questions that the person may have and help the person in anyway they can. Volunteers within Saint Vincent de Paul stores are generally very well mannered, helpful and friendly people who will help a person with any issues that one may have. The main items that are sold within Saint Vincent de Paul stores are Clothes, board games and other simple items that are necessary for a family or human being. Volunteers are urged to treat all people with the utmost respect at all times and to not offend the customer at any time. In order to be a member of Saint Vincent de Paul you must get a Garda Vetting Form, a Membership Application Form, a Reference Checking Form, present Proof of Identity (photocopy of Passport or Drivers Licence) and Proof of Address (photocopy of utility bill addressed to you). All this is necessary before becoming a member of Saint Vincent de Paul, what is required of a person is very small and the only thing in which a volunteer must be willing to do is help a person in anyway that they can.

I'll start doing the next "role" now, sorry for the delay, had to go to some chores myself! :P

Oh and also, you could include sentences such as "I find the willingness of Saint Vincent de Paul volunteers truly inspirational and astonishing that they are willing to do work without any form of reward except their personal enjoyment." To add to the drama and to make it sound as if your knowledge of Saint Vincent de Paul is actually changing you as a person, you could for example say "I wish I possessed the same traits as these volunteer" although the personal side of things could be left until the essay as you don't want to take away from the essay time as it is probably the most important part. However, do not do it first as you may spend too long on it and end up stuck for time. None the less, you can work out most questions on the paper for Community Of Faith with the above and in-fact, what I have wrote above includes 3 roles that can be played within a community of faith - Working in a shop, home & prison visits and also Meals on Wheels and even the next question;

c. Explain one reason why having a variety of roles within a community of faith is of benefit to its members.

For this you could talk about how it helps them to develop as people and how it offers them a sense of achievement and so on. Think of it as if you were a member and how it would be of benefit to yourself, not to mention when you go to apply for a job, having that you done voluntary work is a very good thing.

Also, again, goodluck to everyone with their exam and just remember that if you get stuck to write as much as you can and don't sit for 10-15 minutes thinking and not writing anything. If you are constantly writing you'll have more than enough time to come back on what you missed "If this paper isn't extremely hard, but doesn't matter if it is, it's religion!" =P

• Advertisement

thank you so much:) do you have any tips in general for the exam like how to answer all questions to achieve highest marks? thanks :) goodluck!

dodo97 wrote: »
    thank you so much:) do you have any tips in general for the exam like how to answer all questions to achieve highest marks? thanks :) goodluck!
    Well, the main thing would be just to try and not stay on the same point for too long unless you can't think of anything else. Just try and write as many different points as possible and explain them. Oh, and thanks. ^^

Well, the main thing would be just to try and not stay on the same point for too long unless you can't think of anything else. Just try and write as many different points as possible and explain them. Oh, and thanks. ^^

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Well that was one of the most pointless exams of my life:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maxzdz

Just finished ;) Finished 15 mins early but I think I have done well :) What did you guys write about in section 5? I did part 4 about Humanism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Maxzdz wrote: »
    Just finished ;) Finished 15 mins early but I think I have done well :) What did you guys write about in section 5? I did part 4 about Humanism.

Part 3 wrote about the Holocaust

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Part 3 wrote about the Holocaust

Surprisingly I thought that was the best choice so as did I. Gave me the opportunity to express how tragic an event it was! ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laurarxo

I dropped to ordinary level right before the exam and I honestly regret it now! I just looked at the paper and i think I could have easily achieved an A in higher level. oh well, what's done is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

Surprisingly I thought that was the best choice so as did I. Gave me the opportunity to express how tragic an event it was! ^^

Haha, ya that's exactly what I did. :) And I could use all I knew from history too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Em_Yayy

I did section five on religious fundamentalists and the topic of abortion, because I couldn't answer any of the others, managed to fill the whole space and an extra A4 page, terrified of the marking scheme though, apparently the morality question is marked pretty harshly?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pvakelly

For question 5 I wrote about Jews being persecuted in Europe in the 1600s 'cause I had to do a lot of background research when doing The Merchant of Venice and I focused on why Jews were persecuted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 stephlumo

section 5 was good for me, i wrote about the holocaust/jews and managed to write all the space given! :D
    but section 4 was terrible aha some of the questions were really weirdly phrased and i couldn't complete some of the sections oh well but it's only religion after all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Perfect exam, had time to do every question on section 4 and two long questions! Did Q2 and Q5 on long qs.

Such an easy exam :) Our teacher was freaking out before hand because she was out for a year and we literally did nothing and she only came back in March. We only had Christianity and Judaism done then. So we basically had to fit our project and 3 out of the 5 topics into 2 months, lol. It was actually a grand exam though, filled all the space for q.5 talking about the Holocaust :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Exam was superb but made a still made a silly mistake costing 15 marks but still should get an A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

This was grand, going for the A or B.

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Exam was superb but made a still made a silly mistake costing 15 marks but still should get an A

I wouldn't worry about that, in the pres I completely ran out of time and I left like half a section for one of the q from q 4 and I still got an A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wiefi

Anyone know what individualism means? I did Q.4 for the essay and Q's 1,2,3,4 & 5 c:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

Exam is basically like CSPE.. If you know how to write bull it's a guaranteed A or B. I wrote about the Holocaust for question 5 which was perfect :) If my project is half decent I should get an A.. but who knows :) I couldn't care less If I get a D or an A though :L Religion like it's not really a subject is it? :L

OisinLAD wrote: »
    Exam is basically like CSPE.. If you know how to write bull it's a guaranteed A or B. I wrote about the Holocaust for question 5 which was perfect :) If my project is half decent I should get an A.. but who knows :) I couldn't care less If I get a D or an A though :L Religion like it's not really a subject is it? :L

You can take the exam for the Leaving cert though, so really it is a subject. Easy points if you like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

What did you say for the question:

How does one teaching of a major world religion youve studied encourge (cant remember the exact words) stewardship?

And for Q 3 did you say that paul showed agnoctisism cos he didnt know if god was real or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

You can take the exam for the Leaving cert though, so really it is a subject. Easy points if you like it!

Yeah your right I guess but I just don't think ANYONE should be worried about how they got on in Religion...

sotisme wrote: »

How does one teaching of a major world religion youve studied encourge (cant remember the exact words) stewardship?

And for Q 3 did you say that paul showed agnoctisism cos he didnt know if god was real or not?

I said Christian eco farms and parables.

Yup, I said that Phil demonstrated the views of agnosticism.

OisinLAD wrote: »
    Yeah your right I guess but I just don't think ANYONE should be worried about how they got on in Religion...

No, not worried but obviously people who have an interest in it should do their best in it :)

• Advertisement

sotisme wrote: »

Didn't do the first one, but yes it's Paul who shows agnosticism :)

Advertisement