Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anyone be interested in learning together

Options
  • 12-06-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Let me explain to you where I am and where I'd like to go. I'm teaching myself programming and have pretty much got the basics down in Python, still getting to terms with OOP, but I'm getting more and more confident as I go. I'm familiar with at least reading HTML5, JS, CSS some C. But as I've said I've concentrated most of my my time on Python (2.7).

Thus far I've been alone on this journey. As I said I'm doing it myself separate to any formal education or group. While this has been fine I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start working on little projects. I'd like to find someone of a similar level who was lets say an advanced-beginner to go along with me. We could set little tasks, work on them, help each other and discuss etc. Between Skype, GitHub, Google Drive etc I think this could be very do-able and both fun and rewarding.

I have an idea for a simple project that I haven't started that will basically go through my "movies" directory and will make a txt file with information from IMDB on the relevant movies.

I'd ideally keep the group small (2 - 3) people including myself. I think that way we might be able to it more balanced.

Sorry if this isn't the place for this post, if it is not could you point me to a better area?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

That's a great idea. Pair programming is a very widely used technique for problem solving, so you'll be an employers dream if you get used to this early on in your software development career.

That said, not sure I could offer much. Im a Java and PHP programmer for the past 10 years or so, would love to learn Python, but I'd probably annoy you by firing headlong into problem solving without going over the basics :)

Best of luck with your endeavours though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Sounds interesting. What is your github user name so I can follow you.

Thanks

Advertisement