Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how long will this generation live?

• 13-06-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

In my early 20s now but work a lot with the elderly and it seems at the moment most of them die around late 70s to mid 80s not many live past 90 though.

People say my generation will live to over 100 on average, or something because of advances in medicines and clinical research into illnesses and diseases.

I don't drink or smoke, eat reasonably healthy and do light exercise once a week. if the retirement age is being pushed closer to 70 then I've to fund my retirement to live for 30 years independently. Need to start thinking about this now.

What age will people being born today live to on average? And do people really want to be living for over a hundred years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I can only speak for myself here

I'll eat when I'm hungry
    I'll drink when I'm dry
    And if the moonshine don't kill me
    I'll live til I die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I read somewhere that for babies currently being born that living to 100 will be nothing special and that there could well be someone among them who will live to 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

I read somewhere that for babies currently being born that living to 100 will be nothing special and that there could well be someone among them who will live to 150.

That's mental to think someone born today could be alive in 2163.

A man in China died at 127 years old yesterday or the day before so I suppose it's not that crazy to think of figures closer to 150

y0pperz wrote: »
    That's mental to think someone born today could be alive in 2163.

Yeah it is, but when you think about it some people have already lived to be 120 so another 30 years on top of that is possible for at least one baby being popped out in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 y0pperz

Sorry it was a woman in China and not verified

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Even with advances in medical science I can't see these touted life expectancies becoming a reality. The human body has a range, some people exceed it, most die in around it.

There have been some long living people in my family, my granny was 102 when she died and I have an aunt who is 98 so maybe with a healthy lifestyle and not getting hit with a bus or something I might make the magic 100 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

People are living longer but a lot of the time they are living sicker. Medicine and advances in the field keeping them alive, not sure what kind of a life that is to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

About 2.5 years longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

well depends.

My current age is 1,012

I've been on this planet too long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I've been reading 'Children of men' ...so maybe we will lose the ability to pro-create in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'll be here until I can no longer fend for myself.
    No way on earth will I be spoonfed/washed/dressed every day.
    For me, that's a pretty grim existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

The last time I died I was 64 and that was 86 years ago.

Sauve wrote: »
    It's easy to say that when we're fit and healthy though.

When we're not might be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

In before three-fiddy.

If they keep up their YOLO crap, they won't be living very long anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If there's one thing I've learned from the internet it's that humanity appears to be getting dumber and dumber. There appears to be a significant minority of the population who are marginally above the threshold where they'd have to wear headphones reminding them to breath in and out. In time, as the older members of society die off, this minority will gradually become the majority. Advances in technology and medicine will slow down to the point where we'll basically have discovered and invented everything significant that we're ever likely to discover or invent. Gradually a time will come where even what technology we have now will be too difficult for most people to understand and operate. Life expectancy will start to fall as major illnesses become increasingly drug resistant and there's nobody smart enough to be able to come up with new drugs to combat them. Basically we're all doomed! Doomed, I tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Nemeses wrote: »
    well depends.

My current age is 1,012

I've been on this planet too long...

There can be only one

Zaph wrote: »
    If there's one thing I've learned from the internet it's that humanity appears to be getting dumber and dumber. There appears to be a significant minority of the population who are marginally above the threshold where they'd have to wear headphones reminding them to breath in and out. In time, as the older members of society die off, this minority will gradually become the majority. Advances in technology and medicine will slow down to the point where we'll basically have discovered and invented everything significant that we're ever likely to discover or invent. Gradually a time will come where even what technology we have now will be too difficult for most people to understand and operate. Life expectancy will start to fall as major illnesses become increasingly drug resistant and there's nobody smart enough to be able to come up with new drugs to combat them. Basically we're all doomed! Doomed, I tell you!
    The Backwards Man likes this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If Gradually a time will come where even what technology we have now will be too difficult for most people to understand and operate.

It seems to be here already, quite a while, at least in Ireland if we look at our drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

i thought that the instances of cancer and other diseases will go up due to all the chemicals in processed foods and other products etc? also infections becoming immune to medicine due to the overuse of antibiotics.....so maybe people won't even live as long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭enigmatical

It would depend on how long it takes for the liver cirrhosis to kick in. Many of them have been binge drinking since an early age.

123 LC wrote: »
    i thought that the instances of cancer and other diseases will go up due to all the chemicals in processed foods and other products etc? also infections becoming immune to medicine due to the overuse of antibiotics.....so maybe people won't even live as long?
    Instances of diseases rise as a species lives longer, the two go hand on hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If there's one thing I've learned from the internet it's that humanity appears to be getting dumber and dumber. There appears to be a significant minority of the population who are marginally above the threshold where they'd have to wear headphones reminding them to breath in and out.
    You sure it's not just the internet giving stupid people a place to be "publicly stupid"?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I was reading that worldwide, life expectancy is closely related to income among other factors. Check out this chart comparing life expectancy at birth in 1990 and 2011 related to income. Unsurprisingly the high income earners will be around 20 years longer than the low income earners. Not sure how accurate it is, but pretty sad if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Sauve wrote: »

Agreed. Dignitas ftw. (for me, anyway!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Actually due to obesity and lack of exercise this is likely to be the first generation where people will die of natural causes at a younger age than their parents.

Life expectancy at birth has gone up mainly because so many babies and young children died. Once you made it to adulthood and survived the most common plagues you weren't that far off todays expectancy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2676107
    : life expectancy at 40 of the Knights of the Holy Spirit, for instance, increased to 30.8 years in the 18th century, from 27.8 years in the 16th century. The same life expectancy today (at 40 years of age) reaches 35.7 years among French professionals
    So a gain of 7.9 years for people who weren't exposed to the worst that 16th France could throw at you.

And remember that today the final years include cases of people preserving life with advanced technology so the active independent years of life haven't really gone up much in the last few centuries.

If you roll the clock back further
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/life-expectancy-hunter-gatherer/
    From age 45, the mean number of expected remaining years of life is 20.7, 19.8, and 24.6 for hunter-gatherers, forager-horticulturalists, and acculturated hunter-gatherers, respectively.
    Average life expectancy is marred by infant mortality rates, and it’s clear that hunter-gatherers – the closest analogues to our Paleolithic ancestors – can and do enjoy “modern” lifespans with an average modal age of 72 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

69 years , seeing as we Are the most mature generation :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Couple of thousand years if you go into cryo

tumblr_lln0h9NQU61qzisz7o1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Anytime I ask my Spanish students how old their grandparents are, the majority would tell me they're well into in their 90s. This would be more common than not. This city is full of really old, active people. I think the main contributing factors are:

Mediterranean diet.

Sunshine and the propensity to be outdoors and the incentive to go for walks. You see old wans and auld fellas in their 90s strolling the evenings.

The fact that old age doesn't mean isolation here. People move in groups at every age. We're sociable beings and I believe human contact is vital for our happiness and in turn, our health.

Good healthcare system. You can go on about the Mediterranian diet all you like but Spain's public healthcare system is one of the best in the world. People go to the doctor when they are sick (and unfortunately, when they're not) and not attempt to diagnose and medicate themselves like we do in Ireland e.g. not taking Lemsips for Cancer etc.

Probably genetics. They have good genes, I reckon.

People in Spain have the longest amount of healthy years in Europe.

Hopefully this shizzle is contagious. Would like to live till 100.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

123 LC wrote: »
    Instances of cancer will go up simply because we won't have been killed by other stuff first.

At present it's 50/50 that you will get cancer by the time you die.

Overuse of antibiotics is a HUGE issue. Even during the golden age of antibiotics resistance was observed (possibly even as early as the late 1940's but don't quote me). But the Russians got our back as they've been working on phage.

World population was 1.6 billion in 1900. From then to 11 September 1978 it killed ~300-500 million people. And if a few religious nuts didn't get in the way for their own political reasons we'd have already wiped out Polio. (Places like Somalia and Sudan put their wars on hold because when you've lived with the reality this stuff are serious business)

We only have Measles in Europe (we're the main reservoir for the Americas) because people believe conspiracy theories and fraudsters and don't understand that with measles there is a good chance you'll end up in hospital, a small, but not tiny chance that you will suffer permanent brain damage or death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Considering the advances in 60 years, it's anyone's guess.
    We could all end up replacing every organ with artificial ones in years to come but your brain might turn to mush by then.

There's research into dealing with cell degradation, in other words stop or reversing the body from aging and restarting cellular growth.

The Russian's stated that by 2025, anyone born will essentially be immortal. I would say you'd have to add another 20 years to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Unsurprisingly the high income earners will be around 20 years longer than the low income earners. Not sure how accurate it is, but pretty sad if it's true.
    It surprises me that this would surprise anyone.
    ...he fact that old age doesn't mean isolation here. People move in groups at every age. We're sociable beings and I believe human contact is vital for our happiness and in turn, our health...
    We are very, very bad in this regard in this country. Many old folks are just left to themselves, the best they can hope for being some goodly neighbour calling round once or twice a week to verify that they're not dead. That's if they're not put into a home by some po-faced asshole of a son or daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

pensioners now live in the golden age financially

200 a week and the rest of the benefits they receive

anyone below 40 is royally fcuked

we will be lucky to get food stamps when we retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

If anything I think we'll have shorter life spans than our grandparents. People ate full fat foods and fry ups and lots of red meat, they drank and smoked and often lived well into their 80's. Nowadays full fat foods and foods that were deemed unhealthy have been replaced by foods developed in labs and we have a massive increase in cancers and obesity.

People drive everywhere whereas our grandparents would have done a lot of walking. I'm not saying it's all down to food but when you look at the list of ingredients on many foods its ridiculous. Dairy foods are pumped full of antibiotics and livestock and chickens are often pumped full of God only knows what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

If anything I think we'll have shorter life spans than our grandparents. People ate full fat foods and fry ups and lots of red meat, they drank and smoked and often lived well into their 80's. Nowadays full fat foods and foods that were deemed unhealthy have been replaced by foods developed in labs and we have a massive increase in cancers and obesity.

People drive everywhere whereas our grandparents would have done a lot of walking. I'm not saying it's all down to food but when you look at the list of ingredients on many foods its ridiculous. Dairy foods are pumped full of antibiotics and livestock and chickens are often pumped full of God only knows what.

This is very true. My grandparents would have been "pre-tv" generation and none of them drove cars. One grandfather smoked quite a bit, drank a little and ate red meat etc and enjoyed good health all his life until the age of 94. He was outdoors most of the time, on his bike or in the garden.
    Contrast this with my uncle, his son, who also smoked, drank a little and ate red meat. He drove everywhere, watched loads of TV in the evenings when he came in from work and was clinically obese. He died at 68, from lung cancer.

I could count 15-20 people I know who have died from cancer in the last 5 years alone. All aged 50s-60s. It was pretty much unheard of in my grandparents' generation by comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

100 can be easily attainable I reckon, though will all the sh*te people eat and all the fat kids waddling around I somehow doubt many will reach this.

After a certain point, the body is pretty much worn out anyway. You can only put in so many spare parts before it cops out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

y0pperz wrote: »
    ..People say my generation will live to over 100 on average..

Not gonna happen I'm afraid. Because once Ebola goes airborne, that's us all fúcked.

The thing is once you're quality of life has deteoriated would you want to keep going for ages? It doesn't really matter to me how many parts they can replace once I'm having more bad days than good or I can't care for myself I'd be calling it a day.

Caliden wrote: »
    The Russian's stated that by 2025, anyone born will essentially be immortal. I would say you'd have to add another 20 years to that.
    cool, 20 years older than immortal :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

With a third of seven year olds already overweight/obese and estimated close to fifty per cent adults by 2030, this generation could be the first to have a shorter lifespan than previous ones.

Saw research which seemed to show reducing cell ageing effects increased incidence of cancer.

Considering that many species have gone extinct since the dawn of time i wonder will it also happen to humans or will we advanced enough to survive anything , homo sapiens have only been around for 100,000 years and in evolutionary terms that aint such a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

The thing is once you're quality of life has deteoriated would you want to keep going for ages? It doesn't really matter to me how many parts they can replace once I'm having more bad days than good or I can't care for myself I'd be calling it a day.

You're quality of life won't deteriorate, it will get renewed so that you are as fit as ever. Bad arthritis in your legs? Just go into a stem cell clinic and get new legs. Starting to forget things? Get that part of your brain replaced. Eyesight deteriorating? Get new eyes etc.

The only problem we have is where to put everyone. We will need to start populating a new planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Carnegie wrote: »
    The only problem we have is where to put everyone. We will need to start populating a new planet.

Already working on it... Hence the trip to Mars!

Carnegie wrote: »
    You're quality of life won't deteriorate, it will get renewed so that you are as fit as ever. Bad arthritis in your legs? Just go into a stem cell clinic and get new legs. Starting to forget things? Get that part of your brain replaced. Eyesight deteriorating? Get new eyes etc.

Well the government has still not legalised abortion so I don't think stem cell technology will be widely available for some time to come unfortunately:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You can never really predict but I say either the same as previous generations or be younger than generations living till 90's/100's or likely to live longer than those in 90's/100'. Chances are one in a million I say.

Most people live till 70/80 + but advance in medicine and healthy living and other factors play a part too. But you could have all that and be gone before 90.

Advertisement