Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mgmt fees - why? what?

Options
  • 13-06-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

As the title says, we all have to pay mgmt fees (well those that are renting don't directly) but why?

I understand mgmt fees in the case of the apartment dwellers, but find it hard to understand the cost for non apartment owners.

In other estates residence committees are set up and look after the grass cutting etc. Why couldn't this be the case for house owners in Charlesland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stall The Ball 101

FirstIn wrote: »
    As the title says, we all have to pay mgmt fees (well those that are renting don't directly) but why?

I understand mgmt fees in the case of the apartment dwellers, but find it hard to understand the cost for non apartment owners.

In other estates residence committees are set up and look after the grass cutting etc. Why couldn't this be the case for house owners in Charlesland?

What a great idea the annual cost for non apartment residents would plummet

There are residents who are living here landscapers by trade I'm sure would be happy to get the work surly that would reduce landscape costs

Allotments in the large area at the rear of the woods perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I got the impression It's about using clamping as a means to recoup management fees

Yes you're right, but not to investigate where your fees go!

If people don't know what their management fees do after many years of living here it's pure neglegance and they need to become more involved

Yes you're right, but not to investigate where your fees go!

If people don't know what their management fees do after many years of living here it's pure neglegance and they need to become more involved

Mmm negligence..... I'd call it good faith

Mmm negligence..... I'd call it good faith

Not knowing what you're forking out money for us called good faith?

Not knowing what you're forking out money for us called good faith?

I pay for my own bins every week by weight.... I don't weight them every week myself I pay the company in good faith I pay lots of things in good faith

Maybe I'm just that kinda guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Ok....As a HOUSE owner (and not just an apartment owner) your annual fees cover the following (among other things):

- Street Lighting - Unfortunately electricity isn't free
    - General repairs involved with the overall upkeep of the place - so it doesn't start to look like a dump
    - Landscaping - including planting/replanting, gass cutting, mulching and litter collection.
    Depending on where you live within Charlesland, houses also have their front grass and hedges cut as part of this fee.
    - Public Liability Insurance
    - Professional Fees (solicitors, accountants etc...)
    - Sinking Fund (Blame the government - the MUDs Act relates to ALL dwellings within any related development)
    - Contribution to the running of the overall Management Company - which is funded by contributions from Wood, Court, Crescent, Park, Grove, Seabourne View and the Commercial Centre.

There are other items of expenditure that need to be covered also.... can't remember the full list off-hand
    If you're unsure about any aspect of the costs involved, contact your Managing Agent.
    As a fully paid up owner of any dwelling within you specific part of Charlesland, you are entitled to see a complete breakdown of all costs and budgets for any given year.
    Usually at the AGM, this is one of the first matters on the agenda - budgets and accounts need to be proposed, seconded and approved at AGM by all eligible voting members.

Better still, get yourself involved and voted on to the board of directors at the next AGM.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Ok....As a HOUSE owner (and not just an apartment owner) your annual fees cover the following (among other things):

- General repairs involved with the overall upkeep of the place - so it doesn't start to look like a dump - What repairs? Curbs and asphalt repairs?

- Landscaping - including planting/replanting, gass cutting, mulching and litter collection. This could be done by many of our local house owners themselves.

Depending on where you live within Charlesland, houses also have their front grass and hedges cut as part of this fee.
    - Sinking Fund (Blame the government - the MUDs Act relates to ALL dwellings within any related development)
    - Contribution to the running of the overall Management Company - which is funded by contributions from Wood, Court, Crescent, Park, Grove, Seabourne View and the Commercial Centre.

There are other items of expenditure that need to be covered also.... can't remember the full list off-hand
    If you're unsure about any aspect of the costs involved, contact your Managing Agent.
    As a fully paid up owner of any dwelling within you specific part of Charlesland, you are entitled to see a complete breakdown of all costs and budgets for any given year.
    Usually at the AGM, this is one of the first matters on the agenda - budgets and accounts need to be proposed, seconded and approved at AGM by all eligible voting members.

Better still, get yourself involved and voted on to the board of directors at the next AGM.

Best of Luck

- Street Lighting - Unfortunately electricity isn't free - It isn't free, but to replace lights with the ones to accumulate solar power during the day and give brighter bright led light during the night is once off investment (cheaper than the current costs)

Plus give some modern look to Charlesland, this will pair with the lights used in new Marina development. Seems like it will increase the overall value of the properties in Charlesland (cheaper management fees and safer/ brighter lights during the night)

- General repairs involved with the overall upkeep of the place - so it doesn't start to look like a dump - What repairs? Curbs and asphalt repairs?

- Landscaping - including planting/replanting, gass cutting, mulching and litter collection. This could be done by many of our local house owners themselves.

These are not needed. These were imagined by those who run management agency'

- General repairs involved with the overall upkeep of the place - so it doesn't start to look like a dump
    - Landscaping - including planting/replanting, gass cutting, mulching and litter collection.

Best of Luck

Look I agree there is costs involved in running the estate but two of the largest costs are agent fees and landscaping

I think this thread is about exploring the need for such costs on non apartment owners

I think I will come along to the next agm because people at the moment are on their knees financially and you have got to cut your cloth to measure other wise more and more people will fall into arrears and I don't think as a community we want that to happen either

Maudi wrote: »
    Speaking of DATA protection ..i got a sheet of ANONAMOUS paper stating clearly who hadnt paid ..house number etc AND how much each home owed the mattesgment company in my letter box

To those who also received these anonymous paper sheets stating clear details

of unpaid fees. Please contact me on private message. thanks

Look I agree there is costs involved in running the estate but two of the largest costs are agent fees and landscaping

I think this thread is about exploring the need for such costs on non apartment owners

I think I will come along to the next agm because people at the moment are on their knees financially and you have got to cut your cloth to measure other wise more and more people will fall into arrears and I don't think as a community we want that to happen either

We can walk together, perhaps most of the estate owners are asleep...

Street Lighting - Unfortunately electricity isn't free - It isn't free, but to replace lights with the ones to accumulate solar power during the day and give brighter bright led light during the night is once off investment (cheaper than the current costs)
    Plus give some modern look to Charlesland, this will pair with the lights used in new Marina development. Seems like it will increase the overall value of the properties in Charlesland (cheaper management fees and safer/ brighter lights during the night)

• Advertisement

tp25 wrote: »
    To those who also received these anonymous paper sheets stating clear details

of unpaid fees. Please contact me on private message. thanks
    Seconded, this is something that should never have happened in any estate.

@tp25 are you lodging a consent with the data protection commissioner?

TP25 - seriously, get on to your managing agents and get involved.

Your contributions to my post are, unfortunately, ill-informed.

The legislation provided for in the MUDs act refers to provision being made for all relevant expenses and provision of funds for unseen future requirements.

If you take the time to go through the annual financial reports provided at your AGM, you'll see that all monies expended are fully accounted for.
    Your directors (which in most cases are home owners within your development) keep a very close eye on the running and day to day expenses of the Managing Agents.....a job they do free of charge and in their own spare time.

I would honestly urge you to seek a nomination to your board of directors and see for yourself how things are run from the inside.

I'm not trying to be smart here - I'm just stating the facts.:)

- Street Lighting - Unfortunately electricity isn't free - It isn't free, but to replace lights with the ones to accumulate solar power during the day and give brighter bright led light during the night is once off investment (cheaper than the current costs)

These are not needed. These were imagined by those who run management agency'
    Hey tp,

We looked at the solar powered led lighting previously and from what I can remember they're about 5k per lamp plus fitting. So although they save money they're massively expensive up front

The gardening and landscaping COULD be done by owners but it won't be, also they would need public liability insurance in order to work on common areas.

The contribution from the sub committees to the overall company will be significantly reduced when the council take over the spine road. I think they will be taking over the landscaping maintenance on the green but for now we all have to pay for it.

At least we don't have the bus anymore because that was costing us in excess of 100k!!

Public liability insurance is required, if a kid falls over and cracks its skull someone needs to cover that cost.

Solicitors pretty much for the same and accounts are needed as were a legal business entity which must file accounts on an annual basis

Hey tp,

We looked at the solar powered led lighting previously and from what I can remember they're about 5k per lamp plus fitting. So although they save money they're massively expensive up front

The gardening and landscaping COULD be done by owners but it won't be, also they would need public liability insurance in order to work on common areas.

The contribution from the sub committees to the overall company will be significantly reduced when the council take over the spine road. I think they will be taking over the landscaping maintenance on the green but for now we all have to pay for it.

At least we don't have the bus anymore because that was costing us in excess of 100k!!

hey matt

these were 5k at yours supplier, I can get these from Manufacturer from China (let's don't start to talk about quality as most of successful manufacturers source from China) at fraction of this amount. Similarly to other products. thanks.

these were 5k at yours supplier, I can get these from Manufacturer from China at fraction of this amount. Similarly to other products. thanks.

Get us a quote then and we can investigate them, while also we would need a small team of electricians with a cherry picker and relevant insurances for a few weeks to install them.

To me that sounds like a minimum of 800 euros per day

Seconded, this is something that should never have happened in any estate.

@tp25 are you lodging a consent with the data protection commissioner?

if there is a breach...

Get us a quote then and we can investigate them, while also we would need a small team of electricians with a cherry picker and relevant insurances for a few weeks to install them.

To me that sounds like a minimum of 800 euros per day

do we know quantity and the lamps specifications (data sheets etc...) if we already looked into it?

on electricians:

vetting tender

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately the Council will only be taking over the road around the green - which is a good thing!

Although we'll still be stuck with the costs of landscaping the green, it will remain Private Property, so there's no chance of waking up one morning to find a shed load of caravans have taken up residence in the middle of the night (as they'd be more able to if it were Council land)

Apart from that, you're pretty much spot-on.

do we know quantity and the lamps specifications (data sheets etc...) if we already looked into it?

on electricians:

vetting

In sure we do.

And vetting? Vetting what?????

It would have to go out to tendor and the electricians would need all the insurances and training and equient required.

A cherry picker costs a couple of grand a week to rent and electricians generally cost a few hundred a day??

There's no vetting????

In sure we do.

And vetting? Vetting what?????

It would have to go out to tendor and the electricians would need all the insurances and training and equient required.

A cherry picker costs a couple of grand a week to rent and electricians generally cost a few hundred a day??

There's no vetting????

tender.

I just crossed the word vetting

So perhaps if I could get the specifications then I can start to make enquiries. The tender can follow.

• Advertisement

TP25 - seriously, get on to your managing agents and get involved.

Your contributions to my post are, unfortunately, ill-informed.

The legislation provided for in the MUDs act refers to provision being made for all relevant expenses and provision of funds for unseen future requirements.

If you take the time to go through the annual financial reports provided at your AGM, you'll see that all monies expended are fully accounted for.
    Your directors (which in most cases are home owners within your development) keep a very close eye on the running and day to day expenses of the Managing Agents.....a job they do free of charge and in their own spare time.

I would honestly urge you to seek a nomination to your board of directors and see for yourself how things are run from the inside.

I'm not trying to be smart here - I'm just stating the facts.:)

Can you please stop using words such as: ill-informed (it's abusive and provides disinformation to other posters who doesn't have expertise in the topic)

The contribution towards Charlesland can be made by reducing our electricity usage and CO2 emissions.

The cost of purchasing one LED solar street light can be between 500-1000USD/ so it's 375EUR - 750EUR each and not 5k as was stated.
    (if we know the total number, we can make an order in bulk and ask for % discount) Delivery via traceable shipment so it doesn't get lost.

There are many different types that's why I asked for the specifications:

Here is the model without the pole (replacements for easy integration):

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/67...ement_led.html

I think more ill-informed is trying to continue with high fees and not doing anything about it. Starting to reduce the electricity consumption would be the first step as this will cut up to 90% from the cost of electricity (street lights) in Charlesland.

There is the chance that we could disconnect the current lights and remove the tops, then just order the inserts on the tops (solar / led).

We do not need to replace the poles.

Electrician with the cherry picker could do this in couple of days time. We do not need to remove the cables just disconnect at the mains.

current ''tops'' could be sold to recoup part of the costs.

This would be it.

I bet in few years time we could have management fees reduced by x% - if there is transparency on the deal.

@tp25

who exactly is going to pay for these, you're probably looking at an average of 25 per estate

that's circa 12,500 per estate, each would be subject to VAT @€;2625 and shipping probably another €1-2k.

each lamp would take approximately half a day to fit which is 12.5 days @€;800 per day minimum labour (€10k) which again is subject to 13.5% vat. @€;1350.

that's 25k straight away. In order to fun this you would need to get owners to fork out 25k in advance before they can be purchased.

@tp25

who exactly is going to pay for these, you're probably looking at an average of 25 per estate

that's circa 12,500 per estate, each would be subject to VAT @€;2625 and shipping probably another €1-2k.

each lamp would take approximately half a day to fit which is 12.5 days @€;800 per day minimum labour (€10k) which again is subject to 13.5% vat. @€;1350.

that's 25k straight away. In order to fun this you would need to get owners to fork out 25k in advance before they can be purchased.

I hope you are not serious with your numbers? We need to know how much is spent for the electricity in total as once the new ones are purchased and installed there will be savings going forward (solar powered)

and each lamp does not take half day. Perhaps 2 or 2.5 hours each. Remember you just remove top and replace it with new solar powered led top, no wiring to the new ones.
    Just undo the wires from the the old tops.

Please do not make up numbers to scare people again.

Can someone please give me exact total numbers of the lamp posts in the Charlesland estate?

I understand that the spine road in under the discussions with CC to takeover by the council (is this correct)?

No, but I work in a role where I know how these things get quoted for. those numbers are very serious. Its not as easy as you state and some of the bigger players may insist on charging project management costs.

also the fact that you will need a minimum of two engineers on site if not 3. (1 for the ground - health and safety regulations, and two in the air to mount and cable the device).

Guessing that the one the ground can be less qualified but will still need health and safety training you're looking at probably €150 for him per day, the two guys in the air however will need to be reci certified electricians who are bonded and certified. These usually cost anywhere between 300-500 per day each.

so yes, I am very serious with my numbers.

No, but I work in a role where I know how these things get quoted for. those numbers are very serious. Its not as easy as you state and some of the bigger players may insist on charging project management costs.

also the fact that you will need a minimum of two engineers on site if not 3. (1 for the ground - health and safety regulations, and two in the air to mount and cable the device).

Guessing that the one the ground can be less qualified but will still need health and safety training you're looking at probably €150 for him per day, the two guys in the air however will need to be reci certified electricians who are bonded and certified. These usually cost anywhere between 300-500 per day each.

so yes, I am very serious with my numbers.

then can I get the numbers of the lamp posts in Charlesland?

I will then get the quotes...

Here is the model without the pole (replacements for easy integration):

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/672462055/bridgelux_led_chip_hps_replacement_led.html

I don't have the numbers, you would have to ask the management agents for the respective areas or walk around the estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do these lights work in winter time when we get 7 hours of daylight? You'll need to keep them wired into the mains to cover times when the sun doesn't shine enough to keep them lighting effectively for 14 hours a night for a few months.

also the fact the company name is call ali baba, sounds like something out of Disney cartoon!

tis also the first company that comes up when you search for LED solar powered street lights! - Coincidence obviously....

Del2005 wrote: »
    How do these lights work in winter time when we get 7 hours of daylight? You'll need to keep them wired into the mains to cover times when the sun doesn't shine enough to keep them lighting effectively for 14 hours a night for a few months.

No, no need for the wires, but if you insist this can be done...

there is no problem to get 15-20 hours of light from these

• Advertisement

also the fact the company name is call ali baba, sounds like something out of Disney cartoon!

tis also the first company that comes up when you search for LED solar powered street lights! - Coincidence obviously....

Alibaba.com is a reputable international marketplace for sourcing products from China.

http://news.alibaba.com/specials/aboutalibaba/aligroup/index.html

your post again have a dose of irony, while the topic is rather serious.

with some more sophisticated ones we could sell back the energy to the grid:

example
    http://www.a1lightingmagazine.com/latest-news/solar-street-lighting-firm-to-help-uk-councils-generate-own-power/

Advertisement