Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE to ditch the Premier League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's a pity. I'll miss it, and as others have said, it's timing in the evening suited me much better too.
    Anyone remember when Dunphy actually presented it for a season or 2? On one occasion, our former glorious leader Bertie even appeared alongside him as an "analyst"! Hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure it did happen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

heyjude wrote: »
    Cutting Premier League coverage to save money will not result in more money being diverted into LOI coverage. They said they are looking to save money, not just reallocate resources.

Ryle Nugent just said on the radio that they will be prioritising national sports, good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Dymo wrote: »
    Please god don't let TV3 get it and we have to look at and listen to Matt Cooper for the whole season asking his benign questions.

I'd sooner see Vincent Browne present it. At least it would be entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's a pity. I'll miss it, and as others have said, it's timing in the evening suited me much better too.
    Anyone remember when Dunphy actually presented it for a season or 2? On one occasion, our former glorious leader Bertie even appeared alongside him as an "analyst"! Hard to believe, but I'm pretty sure it did happen :D

it did i remember it well, it was either to 2000/01 or the 2001/02 afaik. bertie called silvestre and the neville brothers great players and he mispronounced michael owen , calling him owens a number of times :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Sin City wrote: »
    Think about how much they would save if they sacked Tubs and got some one cheaper and maybe good on. While they are at it they can sack Brendan O Carroll too.

I think you mean brendan gobshyte o'connor of the indo ?
    RTE Sports is run by rugby men who have no time for other sports.
    How long before we see GAA being downgraded too by these people?

Ahh good ould royal nugent.
    leonidas83 wrote: »
    Saving 1.3 million eh??? what about this

Cut
    Tubridy's salary 500k to 150k = 350k
    Finuncane's salary 300k to 100k = 200k
    O'Callaghans salary 210k to 100k = 110k
    Kennys salary 630k to 200k = 430k
    Duffys salary 300k to 90k = 200k
    SAVING 1.3 MILLION

that way we'd still have some decent sports programmes & the above would be getting paid according to their ability.(and the above is being generous). God forbid those at RTE would show some balls

If it was according to their ability then some of them should be paying us.

And what about gutting fecking fair city.
    Ryle Nugent just said on the radio that they will be prioritising national sports, good enough for me.

To that plank Rugby is the only national sport.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'd like to see Setanta pick up the rights to the highlights. Unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'd like to see Setanta pick up the rights to the highlights. Unlikely though.

Cant see them bothering tbh it will clash with there other European games they show at 8pm on Saturdays and no way they buy them and go on air at 10 against BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lertsnim wrote: »
    Ha, no chance unless the GAA wants to.

A few years ago they stopped covering the Masters Golf and other big golf tournaments.
    Now it's soccer. So you never can tell what they will drop next.

BUT they did increase their Rugby coverage as the rugby men control RTE sport.

I wish I could opt out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

At least with the rights paid for rugby some of that money goes to Irish rugby clubs,instead of throwing over a million quid to the Premier League and getting absolutely nothing back from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

At least with the rights paid for rugby some of that money goes to Irish rugby clubs,instead of throwing over a million quid to the Premier League and getting absolutely nothing back from it.
    If you think that, then why stop at Premier League football? We could save even more money by not showing films and television programming made abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A few years ago they stopped covering the Masters Golf and other big golf tournaments.
    Now it's soccer. So you never can tell what they will drop next.

I wish I could opt out too.

They have increased Rugby coverage, coverage of Irish teams. They have also increased football coverage, coverage of Irish teams. This is their mandate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I think it's obscene that RTE were paying that much for a highlights show of the EPL while our own league is struggling.

Oh and I agree,I don't think a national broadcaster of our country's size should be spending money on films and shows made abroad,at the expense of homegrown talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The fact that they've been outbid by Setanta and/or TV3 for the last 2 Rugby World Cups would suggest the rugby men don't hold that much influence in RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Corholio wrote: »
    As much flak as they get, their analysis was infinitely better than Match of The Day's. Don't really want to watch MOTD and Lawrenson turning up just so he can make a few crap puns now and again.
    Analysis is much better but their infinite breaks makes it infuriating to watch. I remember for the really big games they would have an add break between the highlights of each half.
    Aye, it's a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Fook sake - this is the only thing I ever watched on RTE. I always thought the analysis was better than MOTD and the time suited much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Believe it or not, the young Ryle Nugent is head of RTE Sport.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see RTE make a bid to reclaim Heineken Cup rights next time they're up for grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

If they reinvest it in an odd Premier League game every while then that's OK.

However, I'd hold off paying a TV license until any such replacement/plans are announced.

Imagine if they tried to cut the Champions League as well. That'd be the final straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

Dymo wrote: »
    Please god don't let TV3 get it and we have to look at and listen to Matt Cooper for the whole season asking his benign questions.

Replace benign with banal ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They have increased Rugby coverage, coverage of Irish teams. They have also increased football coverage, coverage of Irish teams. This is their mandate.

Maybe it just my impression, but I think TG4 have probably shown as much rugby as RTE over the last few years.

RTE lost the Heinken cup and I am not even sure if they stopped showing highlights at one stage.
    They used not show the Rabo/Magners with it only changing the last year or so when they also started showing the friday night under 21 six nations games.

All they really showed were the internationals and that is either a few games in sping or a few games in the autumn.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Senior live games on RTE off the top of my head, ignoring friendlies, underage, exhibitions and the like.

Rugby.
    15 6 Nations Games.
    22 Rabo Direct league Games + a semi final and final.
    A variable amount of Autumn Internationals, lets say average 5.

So 44 games of Rugby live each year.

Soccer.
    15 Champions League games. (6 games in the group, 4 games in the last 16, 2 quarters, 2 semis and the final).
    27 LOI games.
    an average of 5 WC/EC qualifiers (+ potential playoffs).

So 47 games of Soccer.

However soccer also has a World Cup or Euros every 4 years with either 64 games or 31 games. This is an average of 20 a year (taking into account that final group games clash)

So soccer is now up to 67 live games a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Can' believe they are showing the confederations cup which is an exhibition tournament and ditching the premier league... What a load of balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Senior live games on RTE off the top of my head, ignoring friendlies, underage, exhibitions and the like.

Rugby.
    15 6 Nations Games.

Soccer.
    15 Champions League games. (6 games in the group, 4 games in the last 16, 2 quarters, 2 semis and the final).
    27 LOI games.

So 47 games of Soccer.

However soccer also has a World Cup or Euros every 4 years with either 64 games or 31 games. This is an average of 20 a year (taking into account that final group games clash)

They show a ****load of under 21 and b team rugby games on RTE these days too and even the odd women's games. Also plenty of rugby world cup games on RTE too.
    I'm not sure if they still show AIL rugby with about 50 people in attendance anymore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They show a ****load of under 21 and b team rugby games on RTE these days too and even the odd women's games. Also plenty of rugby world cup games on RTE too.
    I'm not sure if they still show AIL rugby with about 50 people in attendance anymore though.

Only show playoffs and finals of AIL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Rugby.
    15 6 Nations Games.

Soccer.
    27 LOI games.

So 47 games of Soccer.

edit: I'm mostly wrong and should have read more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Have they though? Some figures to back that up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I am probably the only one here but I won't miss the EPL highlights on RTE. There are very few Irish players playing at the better EPL clubs. At one point it was a bit of a joke when the national broadcaster was spending money covering the English game and ignoring the LOI. There is always Sky and BBC if you really have to catch up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

hopefully v soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

fozz10 wrote: »
    hopefully v soon.

**** off ya west brit

hopefully v soon.

Why?
    Were you not good enough to play it?

i like watching the premier league on rte so id love to see it kept or brought back dont bother me if its at the gaa coverages expense. is that ok if ive an opinion? and obviously if i have zero interest in a sport its because i couldnt play it when i was younger. why else would it be? clever post.

• Advertisement

i like watching the premier league on rte so id love to see it kept or brought back dont bother me if its at the gaa coverages expense. is that ok if ive an opinion? and obviously if i have zero interest in a sport its because i couldnt play it when i was younger. why else would it be? clever post.

So YOU couldn't play it and now you want to deprive millions of seeing their national games on national television?
    Says a lot about you really.

So YOU couldn't play it and now you want to deprive millions of seeing their national games on national television?
    Says a lot about you really.

ehhh... i dont think you got that. ever here of sarcasm? just in case you still havent copped on thats not the reason why i said i couldnt care if it went.

ehhh... i dont think you got that. ever here of sarcasm?

Well tell us the reason then.

I said id prefer to have the premiership at its expense. ever hear of preferring something you like to something you dont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Gaa(football) is shít is probably his reason

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Gaa(football) is shít is probably his reason

That's a matter of opinion.
    I like it and would prefer it a thousand times to rugby.
    Plus it is a national game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That's a matter of opinion.
    I like it and would prefer it a thousand times to rugby.
    Plus it is a national game.
    So you're allowed an opinion but not fozz10?

So you're allowed an opinion but not fozz10?

Everyone's allowed an opinion BUT should give a reason for their opinion. Not just a flippant comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Everyone's allowed an opinion BUT should give a reason for their opinion. Not just a flippant comment.
    Why?
    He said he doesn't like GAA, why does he need to explain why?
    You seem to be offended that he doesn't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

ambid wrote: »
    Surprised at that. I'd have thought the Premier League at prime time on Saturday would have pulled big audiences and so lots of advertising revenue for them. I guess not as this can only be a commercial decision.

It's a shame as I'd prefer Kenny Cunningham and Richie Sadlier to BBC pundits.

Kenny Cunningham is shocking.

Why?
    He said he doesn't like GAA, why does he need to explain why?
    You seem to be offended that he doesn't like it.

Not offended at all.
    I asked him why he said "hopefully v soon" which seemed to me like a put-down
    That was before he said he didn't like it if you care to read back.
    I wanted to know his reason for that.

I liked Cunningham's analysis tbh, decent pundit.

The GAA is muck btw!

rarnes1 wrote: »

The GAA is muck btw!

That's your opinion. I'd have it before rugby any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

djPSB wrote: »
    Kenny Cunningham is shocking.

One of the best analysts around tbh.

That's your opinion. I'd have it before rugby any day.

I'd rather neither but as you say everyone's different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

ambid wrote: »
    Surprised at that. I'd have thought the Premier League at prime time on Saturday would have pulled big audiences and so lots of advertising revenue for them. I guess not as this can only be a commercial decision.

It's a shame as I'd prefer Kenny Cunningham and Richie Sadlier to BBC pundits.

Although Cunningham has the charisma of toxic wet blanket, I think himself and Saddler are by far the best pundits knocking around Ireland anyway. Easily better than anything the BBC has on offer. Only Neville exists on their plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Sadlier has stagnated major time over the last year. He wasn't great during EURO 2012 and he seems to have slid into a sort of proto-Dunphy sort of style. He's got insight on the game to bring to bear but playing the contrarian all the time is boring and he's not as charismatic or off the wall as Dunphy can be. Sadlier needs to tone it down a bit and be more considered about what he says. I think himself and Cunningham have the potential to be a good panel along with somebody else.

Premier Soccer Saturday/Sunday was no great shakes but I'll be sad to see it go because it was on at a decent time and the analysis was at least palatable, for the most part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Liked the show, sad it's going but there are alternatives to, match of the day being the most obvious one.

Let the English show their league and let RTÉ show sports programs of Irish concern as world sport is only a mouse click or remote control button away.

I don't think they'll show more LOI, I think LOI gets sufficient coverage, there's a live match pretty much every week with an excellent highlights program on Monday. The demand isn't there to justify it, in my opinion, although I would be delighted if they did have a second live game or even just a guaranteed live game every week.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

rarnes1 wrote: »

The GAA is muck btw!

Hurling is muck? Seriously? One of the fastest, most skillful sports in the world and you say it's muck?

Riiiight...

kraggy wrote: »
    Hurling is muck? Seriously? One of the fastest, most skillful sports in the world and you say it's muck?

Riiiight...

Not a fan. No big deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement