Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE to ditch the Premier League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

kraggy wrote: »
    Hurling is muck? Seriously? One of the fastest, most skillful sports in the world and you say it's muck?

Riiiight...
    get real its amateur ffs. the list of sports ahead of it in skill is huge, golf,tennis,football to name a few. if you think something being fast makes it the best it says it all really. ireland people generally live in a little bubble thinking its the best game ever. laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Stop talking about the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

fozz10 wrote: »
    get real its amateur ffs. the list of sports ahead of it in skill is huge, golf,tennis,football to name a few. if you think something being fast makes it the best it says it all really. ireland people generally live in a little bubble thinking its the best game ever. laughable.

It's fast AND skillful. Didn't make the grade at hurling either, eh?

And to say that soccer is more skillful than hurling is what's laughable. You're the one in a bubble.

And just because something is amateur doesn't mean it's of a lesser quality. To say so suggests a lack of intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Stop talking about the GAA.
    Ok, but is there any way we can have rugby cancelled? Not just from TV, like, can we treat it with the same regulatory ferocity that Thailand do marijuana?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

And to say that soccer is more skillful than hurling is what's laughable. You're the one in a bubble.

And just because something is amateur doesn't mean it's of a lesser quality. To say so suggests a lack of intelligence.
    See a bubble like I said. And now opinion is how u judge intelligence levels. Oh I wish I was able to play it when I was younger cause everyone had to love it and want to play it cause I'm Irish. Get real. Sorry mods just replying but won't mention it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Liked the show, sad it's going but there are alternatives to, match of the day being the most obvious one.

Let the English show their league and let RTÉ show sports programs of Irish concern as world sport is only a mouse click or remote control button away.

I don't think they'll show more LOI, I think LOI gets sufficient coverage, there's a live match pretty much every week with an excellent highlights program on Monday. The demand isn't there to justify it, in my opinion, although I would be delighted if they did have a second live game or even just a guaranteed live game every week.

Excellent highlights programme? When they start showing decent highlights then it might be that. 30 seconds for some matches while chatting and talking about the national team usually takes up about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Amateur sports are always of lesser quality I don't see how anyone could argue with that. Professional sports going to have a better standard because the players can spend their lives honing there skills without having to do the 9-5. Look at the likes of rugby and darts where the standards have increased significantly with a greater amount of money and competitors.

Comparing soccer to hurling is pointless, they're completely different and only a halfwit would try to compare them in terms of skill.

For the record, I'm a big GAA fan. Professional sports will just always be superior to amateur sports in the quality department solely due to the amount of time the competitors can spend training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why are we still talking about GAA?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

RTE Sports is run by rugby men who have no time for other sports.
    How long before we see GAA being downgraded too by these people?

Don't worry buddy, RTE are very committed to showing extensive coverage of the international ladder hurling championships this year...

C'mon Ireland! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

RTÉ are pretty screwed for their Champions League analysis now. They tended to completely rely on their footage from the Premier League show...

Similar story for the national team.. They would always dig out 3/4 clips of Coleman/Hoolahan in PL action to show why they should be starting for Trap. I suppose they would have more relevant footage for those situations if they snapped up the Championship or MLS rights.

• Advertisement

It'd be nice if they got La Liga highlights. I don't have sky, but I would much prefer to watch the crisp passing and the all-round superior play of Barca than any of the hoofball muck you would see in Britain or Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It'd be nice if they got La Liga highlights. I don't have sky, but I would much prefer to watch the crisp passing and the all-round superior play of Barca than any of the hoofball muck you would see in Britain or Ireland...

But it would not make any economic sense, not many in Ireland give a s@@t about games like Gifate v Levante, then again Italian highlights shows were very popular 20 odd years ago

On the rugby thing, turned on 2fm a few Saturdays back at 11am to listen to Dave Fanning, only to be greeted by a rugby game between an exhibition side (The British and Irish Lions) v another exhibition side (Hong Kong XV).
    I mean, what the f@@k ?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Neeson wrote: »
    Why are we still talking about GAA?!

Why does everybody that doesn't like GAA call GAA a sport. The GAA is an organisation with many different sports where totally different skill sets are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have you met Andersonisgod by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

You can't blame them because most of the big matches are on Sunday now anyway. So, they can't show the big match of the week most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Don't worry buddy, RTE are very committed to showing extensive coverage of the international ladder hurling championships this year...

C'mon Ireland! :D

:pac: don't remember seeing that one before, the 3 Gerry Ryans are hilarious at the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Next person to ignore the moderator note above on talking about the GAA will meet the banstick, posts will be deleted.

They don't show Formula 1 on RTE anymore? What's up with that?

Bring back the F1 coverage with the great Peter Collins as commentator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd watch it because of the time slot, though to be fair I rarely ever watch RTE for my football coverage, only in dire circumstances when the match I'm watching is not on elsewhere, and I never listen to the pundits, I turn them off. I got sick of them a few years back with their archaic view on football and just wasnt arsed listening anymore.

MOTD isnt much better, but it's ad free so I normally get the telly to myself and just fire through it on a Saturday night.

TBH when I had Sky in the house, Goals on Sunday is where I'd always watch my highlights, top show.

Just goes to show not where RTE are laying their priorities, but the public too. At the end of the day if it was a highly viewed show it wouldn't get touched, instead RTE, viewing on stats and no doubt ratings, have better ratings for the reality TV ****e and as someone said, Z list celebrities getting paid top dollar, then PL football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Senior live games on RTE off the top of my head, ignoring friendlies, underage, exhibitions and the like.

Rugby.
    15 6 Nations Games.
    22 Rabo Direct league Games + a semi final and final.
    A variable amount of Autumn Internationals, lets say average 5.

So 44 games of Rugby live each year.

Ok fiar enough the six nations is 15 games over 5 weekends.
    Have they though? Some figures to back that up?

Eh those 22 Rabo games have only been shown over the last year or so.
    I always remember having to watch TG4 to see Magners.
    So they have added the Rabo league to their schedule.

As for the point of amateur versus professional sometimes I reckon I used to enjoy watching rugby more years ago.
    Nowadays it is getting to the point where you have one team of 6 foot plus 18 stone guys trying to batter the cr** out of another team of 6 foot plus 18 stone guys.
    Gone are the days of amazing runs by the likes of JPR Williams, Serge Blanco or David Campezi to be replaced by the Goerge Norths, Bastareauds, Tuilagis, Saveas, etc.

Oh and professionalism to me just means pampered sports stars who often stop at nothing to win.

Anyway I sam sad to see RTE cut their weekly highlight program when at the same time their schedule is full of absolute shyte.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Some sort of European football round-up show might work and could probably be done quite cheaply too. I think there would be enough interest in the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and Ligue 1 to sustain it. Trying to get an hour programme out of La Liga alone would be a real struggle.

In Spain, very few people care beyond the big two and a few others that have strong local support (Bilbao, Sevilla, Betis etc.) I think a Levante game on Pay-per-view a couple of years ago was subscribed to by only 47 people in the entire country.

Therefore in Ireland at least half the matches would be of absolutely no interest to anybody, and even games that would appeal to La Liga fans like a Galician derby, or a good old-fashioned Osasuna-Sevilla would be of very little interest to random Joe punter.

Terrible decision. I preferred it to MOTD and more importantly it was on at a much better time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Terrible decision.

In what way is a terrible decision? It obviously wasn't commercially successful.

In what way is a terrible decision? It obviously wasn't commercially successful.

jeeze if you just go with what is the most commerically successful we would never see a match bar ones with united, liverpool and maybe a couple of other clubs who happen to be flavour of the month.

And isn't RTE meant to be something of a public service broadcasting entity or why else do we have to pay them a fecking TV license ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

jmayo wrote: »
    jeeze if you just go with what is the most commerically successful we would never see a match bar ones with united, liverpool and maybe a couple of other clubs who happen to be flavour of the month.

And isn't RTE meant to be something of a public service broadcasting entity or why else do we have to pay them a fecking TV license ?

Do you think Sky show non United/Liverpool games for the craic? No, they obviously get the viewing figures that make showing them worthwhile. So, going by what's commercially successful (as things are already), we get to see lots of matches.

I can't quite grasp how you consider highlights of a foreign football league to be the remit of a public service broadcaster, particularly when such a highlights show already exists on another easily accessible platform.

• Advertisement

A terrible decision from a customer service point of view.

For me its nothing to do with not having the other channels, I have all the channels. But Sky don't do a proper highlights program and BBC's is on too late when you are either in the pub or wanting to watch a film etc if you are staying in and I also preferred premier soccer Saturday in general, it was nice having an Irish produced highlights show.
    Do you think Sky show non United/Liverpool games for the craic? No, they obviously get the viewing figures that make showing them worthwhile. So, going by what's commercially successful (as things are already), we get to see lots of matches.

I can't quite grasp how you consider highlights of a foreign football league to be the remit of a public service broadcaster, particularly when such a highlights show already exists on another easily accessible platform.

The bulk of the money sky make in subscriptions and advertising money is centered around the big teams. The bigger teams have more supporters therefore make up the bulk of people paying for skysports and advertising would also cost more during these games.

Why do you think sky have to show a certain number of games from the smaller teams, its because they would just show the top teams all the time if they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Nope, they show them cos they are contractually obliged to show a certain number of games for each club each season.

Not alone is for contractual reasons as outlined by others, their primary market is the UK and in the UK there is a wider audience and you will find more fans of the smaller teams.
    How many Irish Stoke, Norwich, Swansea, etc fans are there in comparison to the UK ?

In Ireland there isn't that spread.
    Look over the last number of years on RTE how many times united matches in CL have been shown in preference to other British teams or indeed other big European teams.
    Hell we have had to suffer united play in mickie mouse matches (where nothing was at stake) whereas some other teams were fighting for qualification to next round resulting in ultra competitive high stakes games being missing off the primary channels.

My point about public sector broadcaster was that all their programming choices should not be based on purely commerical grounds.
    And yes you do have a point about it being a foreign league.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

They don't show Formula 1 on RTE anymore? What's up with that?

Bring back the F1 coverage with the great Peter Collins as commentator!

RTE have gradually cut down on their amount of live sport in the last 15 years or so. Formula 1, cycling, tennis, etc. They also lost rights for Tuesday champions league games and the Heineken cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

About time RTE came to this decision. A total waste of money when the same action was available elsewhere. Hopefully the money will be better spent on improving LOI coverage for football fans and for those who like their english soccer on the TV well they can still see their soccer on the the television without having to bother actually having to go to a game. Nothings changed.

I mean in this day and age everybodys got some sort of recording device if the time and date does not suit.

• Advertisement

About time RTE came to this decision. A total waste of money when the same action was available elsewhere. Hopefully the money will be better spent on improving LOI coverage for football fans and for those who like their english soccer on the TV well they can still see their soccer on the the television without having to bother actually having to go to a game. Nothings changed.

I mean in this day and age everybodys got some sort of recording device if the time and date does not suit.

Eastenders is viewable elsewhere, they should get rid of that first!

Eastenders is viewable elsewhere, they should get rid of that first!

Totally agree! But this is the football (sorry soccer forum)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Living in the UK do it won't affect me but I did like watching it for a different opinion from the Beeb. Watch them pole the money into sending Kathryn Thomas going to Kuala Lumpur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Can' believe they are showing the confederations cup which is an exhibition tournament and ditching the premier league... What a load of balls

The Confederations Cup costs them nothing. It comes with the World Cup rights. Would you rather they not show it, even though they automatically have the rights to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

I also preferred premier soccer Saturday in general, it was nice having an Irish produced highlights show.

I presume you and other people posting here know there is Irish produced football too.

Can't believe anybody cares that this is being cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

RTE dropped the rights before, 2001, when the found out ITV were going to be showing them at 7 as well
    the PL got back on to them & they agreed to take them back for 500k, about half the original contract

link to the article's in this thread about the PL rights 13-16 in ireland
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056576464&page=39

maybe this is what they're trying this time too?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Living in the UK do it won't affect me but I did like watching it for a different opinion from the Beeb. Watch them pole the money into sending Kathryn Thomas going to Kuala Lumpur.

That show was cancelled years ago with the death of the Celtic Tiger and tbh thats a discussion for the TV forum. It was probably one of RTEs best shows.

srfc19 wrote: »
    I presume you and other people posting here know there is Irish produced football too.

Can't believe anybody cares that this is being cancelled.

I don't follow the league of Ireland so it's irrelevant for this discussion. Cancelling premier soccer Saturday is relevant as I watched it every week and now I have wait 2.5 hours longer to see highlights and watch a program which I don't like as much as PSS.

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Saving 1.3 million eh??? what about this

Cut
    Tubridy's salary 500k to 150k = 350k
    Finuncane's salary 300k to 100k = 200k
    O'Callaghans salary 210k to 100k = 110k
    Kennys salary 630k to 200k = 430k
    Duffys salary 300k to 90k = 200k
    SAVING 1.3 MILLION

that way we'd still have some decent sports programmes & the above would be getting paid according to their ability.(and the above is being generous). God forbid those at RTE would show some balls

Dont forget Derek Mooney also who is on a kings ransom when you measure it to his actual appeal as a tv presenter

Sadlier has stagnated major time over the last year. He wasn't great during EURO 2012 and he seems to have slid into a sort of proto-Dunphy sort of style. He's got insight on the game to bring to bear but playing the contrarian all the time is boring and he's not as charismatic or off the wall as Dunphy can be. Sadlier needs to tone it down a bit and be more considered about what he says. I think himself and Cunningham have the potential to be a good panel along with somebody else.

Premier Soccer Saturday/Sunday was no great shakes but I'll be sad to see it go because it was on at a decent time and the analysis was at least palatable, for the most part.

Thank god for that. I like the fact that Richie thinks about his opinions and is some way consistent in his analysis instead of acting the raving drunk like some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Liked the show, sad it's going but there are alternatives to, match of the day being the most obvious one.

Let the English show their league and let RTÉ show sports programs of Irish concern as world sport is only a mouse click or remote control button away.

I don't think they'll show more LOI, I think LOI gets sufficient coverage, there's a live match pretty much every week with an excellent highlights program on Monday. The demand isn't there to justify it, in my opinion, although I would be delighted if they did have a second live game or even just a guaranteed live game every week.

Really?

Agree completely with this article in Friday's Indo by Ian O'Doherty with regards to scrapping the Premier League highlights.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/oh-thanks-rt-now-were-stuck-with-match-of-the-day-29343773.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Good old RTE,launch saorview with Soccer Saturday in HD then decide to cut it meanwhile keeping irrelevant tripe such as The Late Late in order to somehow justify the massive wage Tubs is getting.

RTE has missed a trick here,people can't afford Sky Sports and many are bored with captain charisma and friends on MOTD.RTE would have been an attractive proposition but of course they've cut off their nose to spite their face.

Just another reason for me to not watch RTE.

The Irish Independent - what can you say. Shane Ross the man who has a dig at every businessman except Tony O Reilly.

The article managed to get a dig in at the LOI for some unknown reason. When the LOI has nothing to do with it. Again typical II stuff.

Notice its under lifestyle rather than football. WTF? Its a rugby paper which just likes to knock other sports.

Any paper which supported FF getting into office so readily in 1997 I cant take seriously.

The Irish Independent - what can you say. Shane Ross the man who has a dig at every businessman except Tony O Reilly.

The article managed to get a dig in at the LOI for some unknown reason. When the LOI has nothing to do with it. Again typical II stuff.

Notice its under lifestyle rather than football. WTF? Its a rugby paper which just likes to knock other sports.

Any paper which supported FF getting into office so readily in 1997 I cant take seriously.

Well in fairness now you can hardly have a go at your boss in his own media now can you? Look at Sam Smyth for instance. Dont get me wrong, the indo is far far from perfect but like any other paper its alright every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Agree completely with this article in Friday's Indo by Ian O'Doherty with regards to scrapping the Premier League highlights.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/oh-thanks-rt-now-were-stuck-with-match-of-the-day-29343773.html

The irony of this comment when he is defending all things RTE football
    "Now we're stuck with the wheezing, self-satisfied, old-boys-club that is Match of the Day."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm pretty pleased. I always found this programme a poor cousin to its BBC counterpart.

The RTE pundits were for the most part a depressing collection of spoofers. Cunningham was about the only one I didn't mind too much. Plus, if you want to learn Ronnie Whelan and John Giles's absurd take on reality you can always pick up the Herald.

It's not like it was covering a national sport either, so I think it's reasonable to discard it.

The irony of this comment when he is defending all things RTE football
    "Now we're stuck with the wheezing, self-satisfied, old-boys-club that is Match of the Day."

Ha ha very true. FWIW i think Giles and Dunphy are outdated but i like Richie Sadlier. One or two more like him could make it interesting.

I'm pretty pleased. I always found this programme a poor cousin to its BBC counterpart.

The RTE pundits were for the most part a depressing collection of spoofers. Cunningham was about the only one I didn't mind too much. Plus, if you want to learn Ronnie Whelan and John Giles's absurd take on reality you can always pick up the Herald.

It's not like it was covering a national sport either, so I think it's reasonable to discard it.

No but its a fairly globally popular league now in fairness. Id imagine it was receiving large enough viewer-ship figures though the other side of the coin is that more and more people have Freesat systems these times

But whatever people feel about PSS fair enough. I just think RTE could have made cuts elsewhere. There is an elephant in the room in Montrose as we well know with regards to the big Nepotistic Gravy boat which RTE run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

RTE have gradually cut down on their amount of live sport in the last 15 years or so. Formula 1, cycling, tennis, etc. They also lost rights for Tuesday champions league games and the Heineken cup

All those sports are foreign. We really have to support Irish sport and achieve at major competitions. Broadcasting events which are already on the likes of BBC doesn't help Irish soccer.

Advertisement