Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my guinea pig pregnant? video included.

• 13-06-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My friend bought her in a pet shop 2 months ago and didnt want to keep her.
    In the last few days her sides have gotten huge!
    She is lying down alot and eating loads.

HERE IS A VIDEO OF HER TODAY:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=yJrOZ3HvJik

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I would say yes. She has the classic pear shape. If she was bought 8 weeks ago then the most she can have left on her pregnancy (assuming she wasn't housed with any males once she came home from the petshop) is about two weeks. At this stage if you place your hands gently on her sides you should feel some fluttering and kicking from the babies.

All going well she should be fine with the birth and she'll most likely do it some time you're not looking, but there's no harm sourcing a vet who's good with guinea pigs now on the off chance she gets into difficulties. Most likely you'll just wake up one morning to extra little pigs running around.

The babies arrive fully furred and they feed from their mum for about three weeks, although they'll start trying out solid food from about 24 hours old. You shouldn't need to supplement them unless one is particularly small or isn't getting a fair share of milk.

You should be able to sex them right away (and guinea pigs don't mind you touching and picking up their babies straight away so long as you don't keep them away too long) but it becomes easier as they get older. Any boys will need to be separated from their mum at three weeks of age, otherwise they can get her pregnant again. They shouldn't go to a new home (if that's what you're planning) until they're about six weeks old, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I would agree with Vojera and her advice is brilliant, covered it all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xBluEmilyBelle

Thanks for both replys and all the information! I felt alot of movement in her stomach today and kicking.
    She hasnt been housed with any males
    so it must be around 2 weeks :)

Well, two weeks is the most. She could have them any time! It's really exciting :)

Vojera wrote: »
    Well, two weeks is the most. She could have them any time! It's really exciting :)

Yeah i cant wait! :) just hope everything goes well for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I trust there will be regular updates on this thread???

PIGGY BABIES!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

PIGGY BABIES!!!!!!!!!!

I've been checking the thread all day hoping for the same thing!

PIGGY BABIES!!!!!!!!!!

Lol ill keep updating :) nothing yet although she has been standing up
    alot and it look like shes hiccuping and
    then hunching and checking her privates, started about 15 mins ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

BluEmilyBelle, please do let us know how you are getting on, without disturbing her too much of course.

Even us Mods need to learn more about the Cavy world ;) I especially would love to learn more about their parturition (giving birth). Good luck.

She just had two gorgeous babies!
    She started having contractions when i was to checking on her, she is being such a great mother, im so proud of her! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Pics please!!!! Aw, so cute, Im delighted for you and her!

Pics please!!!! Aw, so cute, Im delighted for you and her!

I know!:) i will post a vid/pics later on definately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Aww I love mini pigs! Their feet are so out of proportion to the rest of their body!

Heres a pic :) lighting isnt great will put up a better one tomorrow :)

Heres another to see the colours of them :)

They're fab! So so cute! Congratulations :)

Gorgeous little fluffsters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've never actually seen guinea pigs so young. Are they born like that? I don't know why I assumed they would come out like baby rats :p

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I've never actually seen guinea pigs so young. Are they born like that? I don't know why I assumed they would come out like baby rats :p

Yep, they're born fully furred, eyes open, able to walk within minutes. They're just like really small, weirdly proportioned piggies! They have tiny butts (no junk in their piggy trunks), huge feet and big ears. They're hilarious! They nurse for about three weeks but they start trying hay, pellets and veg within a day. They're lovely to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Vojera wrote: »
    Yep, they're born fully furred, eyes open, able to walk within minutes. They're just like really small, weirdly proportioned piggies! They have tiny butts (no junk in their piggy trunks), huge feet and big ears. They're hilarious! They nurse for about three weeks but they start trying hay, pellets and veg within a day. They're lovely to watch.

I always did find it sort of amazing when a newborn animal becomes mostly self sufficient within hours, and I only moved out of my mum's three years ago :p

• Advertisement

Clearer picture :)

They're so big already!

Aw - theyre sooo cute!!

May I request a pic of them with Mammy - guinea pig mammy that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Awwwwww, I wish I could give them a cuddle, I love piggies!
    Maybe one day I'll have some again.

Aw - theyre sooo cute!!

May I request a pic of them with Mammy - guinea pig mammy that is!

Ive been trying, one of them always moves and makes it go blurry lol ill put one up as soon as i get one though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Aww they are gorgeous! I remember when I had a guinea pig that had baby a few years back. I went to bed one night with one in the cage and came back the next morning to 5 running around.

Bit dark but best I could do Mama and babies :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I can't believe they're born like that. It makes me want to go and breed a bunch of them - but I've enough demanding animals!

Do they make piggy noises from birth? Does mama piggy mind you touching them or picking them up?

Im bursting with cuteness!!

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    Do they make piggy noises from birth? Does mama piggy mind you touching them or picking them up?

The mums are usually really good about letting you handle the pups. Once they've been cleaned after birth you're good to pick them up. So long as you don't keep them away too long! And the babies do make pig sounds from very young, but they have to learn their veggie schedule to know when to shout!

Advertisement