Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Options
  • 13-06-2013 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Anyone get Sky broadband in Kilkenny. I am have UPC and happy with the speed but it is the price that is attractive and wondering has anyone switched. I am in the city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

My nextdoor neighbour got it she said she is happy with it no problems so far she couldnt remember what speed she was getting tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I have it, the area can only support 3mb/s where I am so its slow enough.
    They are the only company who have yet to take to the fiber network so there speeds are considerably slower than Vodafone, Ericom, Magnet,Digiweb etc in the area.
    Unless the price is drastically cheaper and you don't care about a slower connection I would go with another provider as they will offer a minimum 50mb/s across the whole city via fibre and the best sky can possibly offer at present is 24mb if you are one of the few in the right area.
    I would change myself except I'm contractually bound for the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

I have been with Sky since they launched in ROI a few months back with Broadband, so far so good and speeds and connection better than when I was with eircom. In a letter received from Sky today they are launching Sky Fibre in the next 2-3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's a shop in Kilkenny advertising Sky unlimited broadband, just opposite the Left Bank maybe inquire in there? Here's a pic of the premesis:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/175302/257423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ExtaticFob

I am currently receiving 1.75 mbps with Eircom. After speaking with Sky they say they will be able to provide close to 4mbps. How can they improve on Eircoms infrastructure does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ExtaticFob wrote: »
    I am currently receiving 1.75 mbps with Eircom. After speaking with Sky they say they will be able to provide close to 4mbps. How can they improve on Eircoms infrastructure does anyone know?

I assume you've taken in to consideration that they're probably lying? Did they say they could provide speeds of up to 4 mbps? Up to = less than. Just like in sales, up to 70% off = <70% off. Ring Eircom and see what they say.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I assume you've taken in to consideration that they're probably lying? Did they say they could provide speeds of up to 4 mbps? Up to = less than. Just like in sales, up to 70% off = <70% off. Ring Eircom and see what they say.

I was thinking that myself Captain. I explained that I needed over 2mbps for a new job and he confirmed that he felt it would be close to 4mbps. I presume there is some magic genie in the Sky Hub router and that makes the difference! :rolleyes:

Going to contact Eircom this eve and see what they have to say. Would be interested in other peoples experiences with switching, especially changes in speed, if any!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It is of course possible that your eircom service is being provided via ADSL and is on a set profile and sky will provide it via ADSL2+, hence the difference

I switched yo Sky in Feb, I've not had issues, but then I also had no issues with UTV prior to them and I'm only a few hundred metres away from the exchange on wiring thats less then 5-6 years old :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    It is of course possible that your eircom service is being provided via ADSL and is on a set profile and sky will provide it via ADSL2+, hence the difference

I switched yo Sky in Feb, I've not had issues, but then I also had no issues with UTV prior to them and I'm only a few hundred metres away from the exchange on wiring thats less then 5-6 years old :)

That's promising. I wouldn't know much about how the service is being provided. The only harm is changing is that I would have to sign up to a contract for 12 months and Eircoms Fibre service is rolling out in my area next year apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Folks just looking for an update on this thread.
    It there many people with the Sky broadband in kilkenny city and is there any bother with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not in the city but have Sky Broadband for over 12 months now, no problems. Can't tell you what support is like as I've never had to call them once.

Advertisement