Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lanes Finally!!!

Options
  • 13-06-2013 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Just heading into work this morning and noticed new white lines along the side of the roads through town.

Its great to finally see them as they were badly needed around the place and they are supposed to be part of some new huge network around the area too.

Just a heads up though they don't actually say cycle lane or have pictures of the bikes in them like most do so cyclists be sure to stay in them and motorists stay out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

They are still putting the marking on them I think. The one out blaney road has a bicycle painted on it.

judging by the shape of them (up & down kerbs ect.) I'll stick to the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

They are still putting the marking on them I think. The one out blaney road has a bicycle painted on it.

judging by the shape of them (up & down kerbs ect.) I'll stick to the road :rolleyes:

haven't had a chance to look at much of the route yet, the bits i seen down by the community center and across to the old aldi out to the student accomodation was all on the road.

taxi man mentioned about it being on the footpath out that road but i guess thats what happens when you don't think of bikes when building.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lines on the road - pointless, everyone ignores them anyway (including cyclists)

havent seen these but probably not wide enough either

generally the best thing to do with cycling infrastructure in this country is ignore it (asa cyclist)

lines on the road - pointless, everyone ignores them anyway (including cyclists)

havent seen these but probably not wide enough either

generally the best thing to do with cycling infrastructure in this country is ignore it (asa cyclist)

In Letterkenny its as if not worse than Dublin. I've ended up sprawled over the road more here in 6 months than i did in 4 years in Galway. and at over 6ft with a bright blue helmet and jacket its quite hard not to see me

Cars cutting across my path after just passing me out and then shouting at me for damaging their cars. cars pulling out at roundabouts and keeping driving as i skidded across the road, people swinging open car doors its a nightmare

I know that a cycle lane wouldn't have stopped her cutting across or most of the others but its a start and the more people that use them and the more drivers that see them may start looking out for cyclists.

I can picture quite a number of teething issues however as i heard nothing about this being done till i seen it this morning, nothing in papers or online

I'll take a photo of them now after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

I seen these been done yesterday evening around the town.

Driving into work this morning across the Pearse road and as a cyclist myself I will be reluctant to use these simply because the road space left for the cars and lorries is not wide enough and they will have no choice but to overlap with the cycle lane in some places and is just dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

That's the spirit, bemoan the fact that even when they are provided, they're still not good enough for you and you'll ignore them anyway.
    Should a motorist ignore them, oh, the humanity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

Hope they do a better job on the cycle lanes up here than they did recently in sligo... in places it is physically impossible to keep a car out of the cycle lane, even a small car, cos they made the cycle lanes so wide!! The cycle lanes is actually as wide as the car lane its a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

As a cyclist who cycles everyday to and from work in Letterkenny. I have seen these lanes and I wont be using them. I go hell for leather when Im out so I will just come off at some point going up and down the curbs.

Im going to be sticking to the roads for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

grugni wrote: »
    I go hell for leather when Im out so I will just come off at some point going up and down the curbs.
    Is that not the sign of a bad cyclist?

muffler wrote: »
    Is that not the sign of a bad cyclist?

Nope, I just like to push myself when Im out, Im training for the sligo to letterkenny cycle at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Pique wrote: »
    That's the spirit, bemoan the fact that even when they are provided, they're still not good enough for you and you'll ignore them anyway.
    its pointless providing them, if they are not going to be done right, 2 lanes not wide enough for either is no better than one lane. This was regular in dublin and both forms of transport got on with it.
    plus as a motorist which would you rather, a cyclist going in a straight line or one which has to constantly swerve to avoid debris (ok theres worst than this but so many are so badly installed and have to be avoided) most of this a car wouldnt have to avoid but a bike would.

how do they compare to this?
    DSC001221.jpg

grugni wrote: »
    Nope, I just like to push myself when Im out, Im training for the sligo to letterkenny cycle at the moment.
    Understandable of course.

I suppose the point I was making was should cyclists not exercise more care and cycle that bit slower in an urban environment as opposed to a good long stretch of country road?

Good luck with the Sligo to Letterkenny run :)

overshoot wrote: »
    its pointless providing them, if they are not going to be done right, 2 lanes not wide enough for either is no better than one lane. This was regular in dublin and both forms of transport got on with it.
    plus as a motorist which would you rather, a cyclist going in a straight line or one which has to constantly swerve to avoid debris (ok theres worst than this but so many are so badly installed and have to be avoided) most of this a car wouldnt have to avoid but a bike would.

DSC001221.jpg
    The spuds are cheap :pac:

overshoot wrote: »

DSC001221.jpg

here are 2 pics from the same area just past the college, will try and get one of the lanes down along pearse to compare

danniemcq wrote: »
    here are 2 pics from the same area just past the college, will try and get one of the lanes down along pearse to compare

Havent cycled that road yet, those arent that bad, the ones ive seen are actually part of the path. I would use the ones that are actually part of the road

Yeah blaney road is on footpath and so is the one along pacificare/pramerica road. Are they the ones you use? i think most of the rest are on the road but the lanes on pearse road seem awfully wide.

Had a bit of a better look today, and more of them are going down today, the ones along pearse road don't seem too bad, I wouldn't fancy trying to go up there in rush hour traffic mind you. But they do seem relatively wide, good job t seems.

I think you're missing what I mean, I will use the cycle lanes that are on the road itself, but the ones on the footpath that I've seen are too up and down for entrances to houses / business' that require you to stop in some places you have to stop around 6 times in 100 meters, they are pointless cycle lanes for me anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

You are mistaken if you think that roadside cycle facilities are inherently beneficial for cyclists. If poorly thought out, they are more dangerous to cycle on than simply staying on the road.

Edit: This video was posted recently in the cycling forum by someone who, like others, has discovered that putting cyclists on footpaths is dangerous and inconvenient.
    ghogie91 wrote: »
    Just wanted to bring this up.

I made a video of this on youtube to explain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWppcOGB87o

My argument is that to be safe on the likes of these lanes you have to bypass them and ride on the road as I did in the first half of the video

Since these are paths and basically stop for entrances to estates and houses, cars treat you like a pedestrian and not a cyclist. In comparison to flat cycle lanes, cars have to wait for you to pass as you are essentially on the road with the traffic in a continuing cycle lane.

Where does the right away lie? With the cyclist or a car turning into an entrance to somewhere where these cycle 'paths' are? Does the car wait or does the cyclist wait? Keeping in mind that if this was a lane and not a path the bike would have the right away? And also I have to mention the sudden ending of these cycle lanes also shown in the second half of the video!

They look quite narrow - certainly less than the required 2m width.

They look quite narrow - certainly less than the required 2m width.
    2 metres?

• Advertisement

suggest otherwise
    I wont. One cyclist requires 1 metre width according to your link.

am i reading it wrong that its at least 2.55m (1.25 to inside kerb and same to outside lane?) the measurement at the top suggests 1 but the plan view shows 1.75 for cyclist width

the bottom image seems to be 1.5m for the photos i put up (.25m from kerb, .75m for single file and a further .5m -.75m to traffic depending on speed)

For what its worth the ones on Pearse Road seem much wider

You've never seen me cycling so, :pac:

There's something not adding up right with the dimensions in the diagram

You've never seen me cycling so, :pac:
    No, but I've heard about you though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

Pearse Road is a mess , the road is too narrow to facilitate the cycle lanes. Wide Lorries or buses will have to veer into the cycle lanes in some places , also the lanes suddenly end before the station roundabout :confused: . Can see it backing up traffic there . Badly planned all round , half-assed by the DCC once again.

There's something not adding up right with the dimensions in the diagram

The NTA guidance is a bit of a mess - but thats a much longer story.

If you look at some of their diagrams they show cycle lanes as 2m wide.

http://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/designing/flowchart/

A better discussion here from English guidance:

http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/sites/cycling-embassy.org.uk/files/documents/cyclingengland/2011/01/a11_cycle_lanes.pdf
    Width of Cycle Lanes
    Wherever possible cycle lanes should be 2m wide. This is particularly important where parents are accompanying children and for cyclists overtaking other cyclists.

In addition, unlike most vehicles in urban areas, cyclists travel at different speeds and will regularly need to pull out to overtake slower cyclists. Cycle lanes can only provide comfort and reassurance for cyclists if motorists do not pass them too closely. There is evidence to suggest that cycle lanes can actually encourage motorists to pass cyclists more closely than if there were no cycle lanes.

This source does give 1.5m as a minimum width. However, there is a view that narrow cycle lanes can make cycling conditions worse than doing nothing at all. See further on in that document for a discussion of wide traffic lanes as an alternative to cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Do the cycle lanes outside the main college entrance area not have huge drops/kerbs or was I seeing things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Few drivers seemed to be getting annoyed with cars on the Pearse road staying out of the cycle lanes this evening.road is definitely too narrow to have the cycle lane and 2 lanes of traffic heading towards the Tesco roundabout.

Wonder would they be wide enough for me to stick stabilisers on a bike so I can learn to cycle??:D

Advertisement