Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant and centra during the summer

Options
  • 13-06-2013 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

Are the restaurant and the centra open during the summer?

The websites only give opening hours for "term time"

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Are the restaurant and the centra open during the summer?

The websites only give opening hours for "term time"

Thanks
    Don't know about the restaurant, but the Centra certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

There are three terms in UCD, one of which runs through summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭danceswithwolf

The restaurant was open all this week, lots of people eating it. Plenty of people on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Just to warn you, the slop they turn out in the restaurant is even worse during the summer.

I was in during the week and the best thing I could find to eat was a few dried out sausages and shriveled chips. Absolutely stomach turning muck. I'll bring lunch in with me for the rest of the summer. The variety is hugely reduced as well with some of the counters now closed all day.

I don't object to them reducing their stock during the summer since their customer base is reduced, but they're making absolutely no effort these days because the bulk of their clientele are conference visitors and the like who will never be back again anyway and so are unlikely to complain.

It's as though they don't realise there are still staff and students around during the summer who may be put off eating there permanently by the despicable fare they're serving up out of term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Actually, I think it's more that there's not a single building on the campus (bar maybe science with it's renovations in progress, and engineering which just has a shop) that doesn't have an eatery in it, and with the vastly limited numbers on campus, most people are content to just go to the near one, which has less cues, than truck over to the restaurant, which tends to be meh. Only reason I'd ever go there is it's better able to handle numbers than any of the café type places around the place.

As regards bulk of numbers, I'd imagine staff and postgrads vastly outnumber conference visitors in general. Though in just the restauraunt, I'll grant it, as conferences tend to meal voucher things out to there (or just get it catered tot he venue). Although in that case, I believe they warn the restaurant in advance to prepare proper food.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Alderwould

Is it easy to 'bunk' into the restaurant if you're not a student..?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

Alderwould wrote: »
    Is it easy to 'bunk' into the restaurant if you're not a student..?

Yep. They'll take anyone's money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There are three terms in UCD, one of which runs through summer.

Well I know for sure that the Java Arts cafe is not operating according to term hours. Closes at 5. Not 10. http://www.ucd.ie/catering/facilities/arts_cafe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just to warn you, the slop they turn out in the restaurant is even worse during the summer.

I usually apply a rule of three to any restaurant. Three bad strikes and I won't go back. I like to make allowances for the odd bad night or bad day for the staff. Gave up on UCD after one. How anyone could part with there money there is beyond me. Its utter tripe they serve at a price point well beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

The lady in the restaurant is so depressing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Rad!

Is there anything open on campus right now, apart from centra?

what are the post 6pm dining options? vending machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There's plenty of places open pre-6pm, actually as far as I can tell everywhere is open, but I may be wrong.

Post 6pm, order pizza/chinese?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Amphicoelias

Raphael wrote: »
    There's plenty of places open pre-6pm, actually as far as I can tell everywhere is open, but I may be wrong.

Post 6pm, order pizza/chinese?

Post 6pm - Bring a cooler box with your food in it. Few ice blocks in the box will keep it cool.

Advertisement