Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-cigs prohibited to take aboad Aer Lingus flights

Options
  • 13-06-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

According to the list here Electronic Cigarettes are not to be taken on board, yet I thought Li-Ion batteries were not to be put in checked baggage!!
    (It's near the end of the page)

Will be flying to Portugal on Saturday and plan on taking 2 Ego-C cigs, a 25ml bottle of juice, spare attys and a couple of spare batteries.

Anyone any advice please? Is this a recent requirement by Aer Lingus?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Nah, they've had that up for ages, bit the airport security staff (in Cork at least) have their own rules, Aer Lingus' rules don't come into it. The last time I went to Amsterdam I had the TH mod and the Drawtube with 4 spare batteries and nothing was said apart from a scrunched-up face and "What's that?...Oh, right so."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Stick your vape gear in your carry on or camera bag, I doubt anything will be said. I'm heading away end of month too, my stuff is going into my camera bag. They never check it. The scan it sure, but never have I been asked to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Yeah, Dublin customs x-rayed my carry on and called me over to ask me what the 4 small tubes were, I showed them my ego c pv in my pocket and they said "no problem". Aer lingus haven't a clue whats in your bag. Best not to stealth vape on board if you can help it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

So I'm Ok to stick the lot (except the juice) into my carry on?

Thanks.

So I'm Ok to stick the lot (except the juice) into my carry on?

Thanks.

25ml is fine to carry in your pocket or bag, just put it in a clear bag and put it in the tray with your metal objects.
    Best thing I find is to keep everything together in a box and take it out of your bag before customs and put it in the tray. Keep the liquids separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Presume it's ok to vape away in the toilets? Haven't flown since starting to vape a few weeks ago, but will be going on a long flight soon, and want to avoid the nicotine patches?

Yeah, just don't be an idiot blowing plumes into the alarm.

@Chrome - I brought 100ml with me in 10 small bottles last time, no problems.

I think you can bring 100ml in any one container, I brought 40ml in a 50ml bottle and a 10ml bottle.
    Personally I wouldnt chance vaping in the toilet because of the alarm directly over your head unless you can hold your breath for a long time, I would take my chances in the seat.
    Did you see that rant pbusardo went on about vaping on planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

grindle wrote: »
    Yeah, just don't be an idiot blowing plumes into the alarm.

@Chrome - I brought 100ml with me in 10 small bottles last time, no problems.

I've tried this (just to test) in the last place I worked, and it didn't set off the alarm. It was a sensitive one too, burning toast used to set it off.

(Just to clarify, I was being made redundant the next day.)

jamie72 wrote: »
    I've tried this (just to test) in the last place I worked, and it didn't set off the alarm. It was a sensitive one too, burning toast used to set it off.

(Just to clarify, I was being made redundant the next day.)

Unless you're an alarm-fitter who knows the model used and whether it detects carbon or just light diffraction, I'd refrain from blowing plumes into an alarm on a plane. Especially a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I phoned Aer Lingus on May 19th about this, 'cos I was flying with them on the 21st. They said it would 'probably be OK', and couldn't explain exactly what their policy was, when I pointed out that I wasn't going to be travelling with an e-cig, but with a personal vaping system (posh!). Basically, they don't really know why e-cigs are in the list, what they mean by e-cigs, and there is more than one version of the list on their website - only one version lists e-cigarettes as 'prohibited'. I am still waiting for a definitive reply via email, so will get back on to them today and let you know if I get any sense out of them. As it was, I put the batteries in hand luggage (mandatory for lithium batts), my clearos mostly in checked luggage (careful, they leak under pressure), and a couple of them in a small plastic bag for going through security. Didn't have any issues at all - flew with my PV on a lanyard round my neck (put it back together after passing through security).

I'm flying with them again next week, so am grateful for the reminder to get back on to them and try to get a written answer to the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

DublinCJM wrote: »
    Presume it's ok to vape away in the toilets? Haven't flown since starting to vape a few weeks ago, but will be going on a long flight soon, and want to avoid the nicotine patches?

I've set off various alarms on purpose by vaping directly into them to see what kind of alarm techonologies are more sensitive than others. It appears that close range all alarms go off with vapour from ecigs.

I didn't test in a situation with an alarm in a small small room and vaping right under it.

Personally I would not recommend it.

I think you're much better to stealth vape in your chair where there is no alarm right over your head as you sit in a mini hot box.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

if anyone is contacting Aer Lingus - might be worth pointing out to them that ryanair even sell them onboard (I know they only allow their own versions onboard however no need to mention details :-) )

At the moment there's a bit of gray area on this - and I would be of the opinion that sometimes its better to leave the vagueness :-) ... however if people are contacting them anyway then I would be suggesting to aer lingus that if they allowed vaping on a certain designated area on the plane - it would be a very progressive and scientific based approach :-)
    They would probably get they a lot of positive press for free

grindle wrote: »
    Unless you're an alarm-fitter who knows the model used and whether it detects carbon or just light diffraction, I'd refrain from blowing plumes into an alarm on a plane. Especially a plane.

I have no intention of vaping on an plane, not worth it to get called a terrorist and cause an international incident.

if anyone is contacting Aer Lingus - might be worth pointing out to them that ryanair even sell them onboard (I know they only allow their own versions onboard however no need to mention details :-) )

At the moment there's a bit of gray area on this - and I would be of the opinion that sometimes its better to leave the vagueness :-) ... however if people are contacting them anyway then I would be suggesting to aer lingus that if they allowed vaping on a certain designated area on the plane - it would be a very progressive and scientific based approach :-)

It was a few years ago that I used one, but the ryan air ones where vape free? Just like a niccorette inhaler really.

In mainland Europe or scientific journals/websites.
    The cynical sensationalists and their brain-dead followers would have a field day, and they vastly outnumber the people who can read and judge for themselves.

Optimism adjourned!

Advertisement