Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child minding

• 13-06-2013 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

im trying to help someone get a job in child minding and would like to know where i should start looking :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not being funny here, but...
    If you have no contacts in the area, professional or personal.
    Why are you trying to get someone a job in the field?

What qualifications does the person have? Fetac Childcare Certs? Advanced 1st aid? Peadiatric 1st Aid?
    If the person has these qualifications, how come they need help to source a job in the area now?
    Surely they built a professional network while obtaining those and would know where to start looking for employment at least?
    If the person has no qualifications in the area, what references do they have from similar roles?
    Au pairing?
    What experience do they have that would allow someone to feel confident in leaving them with care of a child?
    Over someone recommended by a friend and whose work, skills and qualifications can be vouched and verified?
    Especially given the surfeit of folks out there with qualifications of at least fetac level 5 childcare certs.

Look I don't mean to be dickish, but these are all questions that will be encountered while you are trying to find this job for your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

She just booked a five week course for feetec level 5 and is going in for Guarda vetting today also :)

She is not well connected but has cared for children for six years with the HSE

I'm just looking for help in getting her some connection's or group's that are around limerick anything to get her name out there and meet people then fingers crossed get some work out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Good luck with the search.
    Hopefully the Garda vetting won't take too long for her.(although I think at present it is @4 months wait) and just to point out she cannot apply for the Garda vetting herself.

The vetting process is offered to organizations intending to employ people in roles dealing with young or vulnerable people.
    There is a good overview of the vetting process here and http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1535"]here
    In other words, your friend applies for a job with an organization.
    They send her a form for the vetting process that she will fill out and return to the vetting Dept.
    Who will then return the information after processing to the liasion person for the organization she applied to.

The frustrating thing about this, is that for each separate application via a different organization there will be a separate vetting form to be completed, so a new job means a new vetting application.

Good luck in your search, a lot of the current folk in childcare gain their experience and qualifications via community employment schemes in community creche's(Government funded) and so on before moving into private creche's or working from home.

Without a lot of experience and relevant quals it is a hard game to get into and even harder to make a comfortable living from.
    (Not that I work in the area myself, but know a lot who do/did and very few stick with it long term.
    A lot of my own work in a past life came from placing folks leaving that industry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Thanks you have been of help :)

Advertisement