Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house that was owned by a known criminal

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

Run a mile......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A relative of mine got a house that was previously owned by a criminal, they lived in it for 3 years when they decided to put down new floors only to find a kilo of heroin. Luckily when they went to the guards they were informed this criminal had passed away but it was a very worrying time for them, I think I'd steer clear of this house. It would always be on my mind that the house could be targeted out of some idiotic sense on injustice or just plain spite.

If they were smart that could have been 150k off the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HouseHunter13

I suppose or they could have been murdered or spent 10 years in prison don't mind the moral dilemma! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I have no idea about who this particular person is but I would imagine I would buy it if it was significantly cheaper. Lots of properties have been taken by CAB and im not aware of any problems for future owners.

One of the most exclusive B&B's of west Cork was once a home seized by CAB.

After a quick google I would definately not be put off. On release I would be surprised if he doest head to Spain or wherever fairly quickly.

Does this house happen to be in Lucan ? If so, i would probably stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I have no idea about who this particular person is but I would imagine I would buy it if it was significantly cheaper. Lots of properties have been taken by CAB and im not aware of any problems for future owners.

One of the most exclusive B&B's of west Cork was once a home seized by CAB.

All it takes is one instance to turn a good purchase into a disastrous choice, and the risks involved in this scenario are significantly higher than normal. My safety and the safety of my family is worth more than any savings I might make when buying a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Yes. It's the one belonging to John Gilligan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

which house is it?

he's out soon you know

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Neeson wrote: »
    Yes. It's the one belonging to John Gilligan

John gilligan isnt going to go starting trouble for anyone who bought his house. when that fella gets out, hes not going to be sticking around this county for long because IMO the guards will have something in line to set him up and stick him away for years just out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

You should go and visit him and ask him straight out. Dont buy into all that ballix you read in the papers about him. You never know, he might just be a sound fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Do you mean go down and chat to JG? I doubt John Gilligan is a nice man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I can definitely share an experience of renting a house that once must have been occupied by criminals.

One day while my dad was at work and my mam and I were in the house and a car turned up in the driveway with 4 lads in it.

All 4 of them got out of the car, knocked on the door and we answered. They started asking if a person named X lives here, we told them that he doesn't so they demanded that we let them search the house.

So we obviously got scared of them and let them look around the house. After about 5 minutes they were gone. It was quite an unpleasant experience :mad:

So no - I wouldn't ever like to experience this again therefore I wouldn't buy such a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

don't visit gilligan lol
    how angry do you think he is after being sentenced to the longest hash sentence in irish history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Suggest turning it into a safe house. Offer one free room every night, free accommodation, no questions asked. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let's not go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

Victor wrote: »
    Let's not go there

If crime paid JG would still own the house! :-)

Advertisement