Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Customer Notice - Simpler, Clearer Pricing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This is great, only went with boibecause of the flat fee charge and because my local PTSB branch shut, I will be either going back to PTSB now or going with Ulster Bank. Having a branch locally is not enough reason for me to be gouged by these crappy charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 spiderspubes

The above quote should read "Simple clearer ways to RIP our customers off", I am absolutely disgusted and sick to the back teeth of the way BOI continues to rip off it's customers, only 2 months after we find out what the CEO of BOI is earning,  what can only be described as shameful wages given the current balance sheet of BOI, we month after month get hit with price increase after price increase for what exactly better service? the majority of my banking is now completed online, which costs you nothing, I go to a bank and can't find any teller to talk too I get ushered to a machine in the corner, customer service? bunch of hypocites more like... your bosses should be ashamed are they though, clearly not as you say "Were ripping you off more that ever" I can only urge that those of you that are as disgruntled as I am please leave this cesspit of a bank and go to TSB the only bank that i'm aware of that holds it customers in a higher regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MJCM71

It looks like after 25 or more years of being a loyal BOI customer it is finally time to quit, I'm going to pop into Permanent TSB in the morning, at least they still offer truly fee free banking if you meet  a few simple requirement and they still pay interest!!  
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our New Current Account works hard for you:[/font]
    • No quarterly fees or day-to-day transaction fees when you lodge €1,500 a month (if you don’t lodge €1,500 every month, you’ll have to pay €12 a quarter)
      [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
      [/font]
    • You don't need to maintain a minimum balance on the account
    • 1% AER (variable) Credit Interest on balances up to €1,500 a month
    • A Switch Buddy to make switching hassle-free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yes, it looks like I'll be following suit to PTSB with at least one of our accounts, leaving one open for now until some savings policies mature.
    Moving to PTSB really looks like a no-brainer.

A big slow handclap for whatever genius thought up this fee "simpler, clearer" structure (Oh, sorry - it was us customers who wanted to be gouged more, sorry).  In my case, instead of BoI earning around €90 a year in fees from two accounts (and whatever else in interest they get for the free usage of our money), they'll now be earning around €30 from one.  Great business model there - driving your customers away, good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Another one here moving to Permanent TSB.

Been with BOI nigh on 18 years, always the bank I've had my wages paid into.

Not for much longer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

PTSB must be laughing their heads off. This is like the best publicity that they could get for their free banking. All its doing is driving customers from BOI (and soon to be AIB/Ulster) to them. It will make them the 3rd force that they want to become.

So in a way, BOI are right...this is a making things simpler and clearer for customers....PTSB have a simple criteria for no fees and its much clearer that any smart customer should move from BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi All,

Thank you all for taking the time to post. Your comments and feedback will be passed on to the appropriate departments.
    Delta2113 wrote: »
    "If you don't use your current account: If you haven't used your account, we won't charge you the maintenance fee until the fee quarter that starts in February 2014."

Can you spell out exactly what this means? I have a current account with one direct debit sitting on it that was never 'called on'. It  actually does not show up in the direct debit list as it was never 'called on'.

Can I afford to wait until Feb 2014? I'm not paying any €5 -that's for sure. This sounds like a trick to me to try and put off people closing accounts and then hopefully they forget and start getting hit with €5 charge.

Hi Delta2113,

If there is no activity on an account i.e. no transactions in or out, the maintenance fee will not be charged on that account until the fee quarter starting February 2014. If a transaction should go through the account before then, the account would no longer be classed as not being used.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

bye bye BOI,
    I have the 3000 in my current account but ye are not getting any quarterly fiver off me.
    Ye are making money off my 3000 already and i am losing out on interest on it so no more.
    I moved my savings to RaboDirect a few months ago and now i will moving my current account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Hi EAFC_rdfl

The feedback has been across all of our channels includingour phone service, Facebook, Boards, secure messaging and branch services.

We do not have the manpower to go looking for the links foryou but you are free to check the threads here on Boards.ie, any that relate to ‘Branch services’ or ‘No transaction offer’ among others.  

There have always been fees for 365 transactions.  

Thanks for posting.

Paula H

Hold on now, what do you mean you don't have the manpower?if you state a fact you need to be able to back it up with evidence.

The last time you increased charges A spokeswoman for Bankof Ireland "defended its decision not to issue news releases to the mediaabout the bank charge changes or the mortgage interest rate increase and claimed that improvements to its online operation and the creation of banking apps for smartphones were costly and would have to be paid for by end users."

So as a customer of BOI we are paying for your presence hereon boards.ie. Now if you can’t answer a question that has been asked by multiple users of boards.ie, well then you’re wasting your customers money by been here and you would be better off not been on boards.ie. This way you will not cause any confusion as to why you are here, because that is exactly what you’re doing now.

Hi harolds57,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We totally appreciate we used an inappropriate phrase by stating we did not have the manpower to search for links to feedback. We were very anxious to answer the many questions posted about our new fee structure. 

All we wanted to get across is that the voice of the customer has been listened to across all of our channels, including phone, branch network, Facebook, Twitter, Contact Us, Secure Messaging as well as Boards. The reference to Boards was only made as we wanted to emphasise to our Boards community that they are listened to and when we say 'we'll pass on your feedback' that this is exactly what we do. 

Collective customer feedback helped shape the changes and apologies if it was implied that all changes reflected boards posts.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
    Tara

• Advertisement

It's easy to listen!
    What will be done about it?
    Cancel these new fees or ignore the people you say you are listening to?
    So which is it?
    I just want to be certain before I stop doing business with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Hi Delta2113,

If there is no activity on an account i.e. no transactions in or out, the maintenance fee will not be charged on that account until the fee quarter starting February 2014. If a transaction should go through the account before then, the account would no longer be classed as not being used.

Thanks
    Tara"

If I close my account say in January 2014 and get a remaining balance paid back to me will BOI slap a €5 maintenance charge on it? Would this be considered an 'out' transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Enough is enough. I can't stand the lies being told by boi. These changes will only help people who were on the wrong plan and were being ripped off as a result of laziness, or stupidity, or both. 

I have several accounts with BOI

* personal current
    * personal savings
    * personal master card
    * business current X 3
    * business credit card
    I also regularly use personal and business banking online. 

BOI. I will be moving my accounts and so will my wife and everyone else i know who banks with you....by the way, thats most people i know. I use a branch a handful of times per year and i usually use the machine for lodging cheques or cash, so i don't take up staff time. After about 15 years of loyal custom, i'm afraid you've really got it wrong here. Higher fees are one thing. Lying to customers by mass email is a whole different thing.

blade1 wrote: »
    It's easy to listen!
    What will be done about it?
    Cancel these new fees or ignore the people you say you are listening to?
    So which is it?
    I just want to be certain before I stop doing business with BOI.

Hi blade1,

Changing our fee structure is a lengthy process with a high level of work and sign off involved. This is also something which we do not take lightly. 

Our fees and charges are reviewed periodically. When they are being reviewed in the future our Consumer Banking Team will take all feedback received now into consideration as they did with feedback received in the past when reviewing this new fee structure.
    Delta2113 wrote: »
    "Hi Delta2113,

Thanks
    Tara"

If I close my account say in January 2014 and get a remaining balance paid back to me will BOI slap a €5 maintenance charge on it? Would this be considered an 'out' transaction?

Hi Delta2113,

If you do close your account before February 2014, provided there has been no other activity on it, the maintenance fee would not be applied prior to closure.

Thanks
    Tara

Sorry but I'm having big trouble believing feedback contributed to these new fees.
    Unless ye got feedback and then decided to do the complete opposite.
    Who in their right mind would give positive feedback to getting screwed more than they already are?
    You've made up my mind for me!
    Enough of bull for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

I've found a very simple solution as we all know BOI are great guys really. Here is a fee free account with the following features:
    http://boini.bankofireland.com/personal/current-account/clear-account/

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Free everyday banking
    Enjoy transaction fee free banking with our clear Current Account.  With a Bank of Ireland UK Clear Current Account the following services are FREE of charge, no matter how many times you use them:[/font]
    • Lodging and withdrawing cash in branches
      [font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
      [/font]
    • Making payments online, on the phone and in shops using your debit card in the UK
      [color][size][font]
      [/font][/size][/color]
    • Withdrawing cash from cash machines (ATMs) in the UK, and all Bank of Ireland cash machines in Ireland¹
      [color][size][font]
      [/font][/size][/color]
    • Setting up standing orders and direct debits for regular payments
      [color][size][font]
      [/font][/size][/color]
    • Paying by cheque
    [font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
    Find out more about what is available with this account by clicking the links below:[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Of course its not available in Ireland silly!!!! Its only in the UK where they look after their customers!!![/font]
    [font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]AND they pay interest on current accounts.... [/font]
    [font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Over to you BOI.[/font]

Tsb guys, no fees, I mooved and its the best thing I ever did,. on line banking no queues and no fees, What are ye waiting for????

Yet its the Irish taxpayer that baled them out,. our money the Irish people, it makes me sick, leave in droves and that will sort them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

goz83 wrote: »
    Enough is enough. I can't stand the lies being told by boi. These changes will only help people who were on the wrong plan and were being ripped off as a result of laziness, or stupidity, or both. 

I have several accounts with BOI

* personal current
    * personal savings
    * personal master card
    * business current X 3
    * business credit card
    I also regularly use personal and business banking online. 

BOI. I will be moving my accounts and so will my wife and everyone else i know who banks with you....by the way, thats most people i know. I use a branch a handful of times per year and i usually use the machine for lodging cheques or cash, so i don't take up staff time. After about 15 years of loyal custom, i'm afraid you've really got it wrong here. Higher fees are one thing. Lying to customers by mass email is a whole different thing.
    Hi goz83,

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the new fee structure and you are now closing your account.

Yes there is an introduction of a new €5 quarterly maintenance fee, however you mention you use self service a lot, these transactions have been reduced from 28c to 20c.  Please see here for tips on how you can reduce your fees.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ha, no mention of previous flat fee.

No mention of the perks of being a UK resident customer of BOI.

All this talk of feedback, did you only ask people who had too much money and needed rid of it?

• Advertisement

Sean. Please don't insult my intellingence. I know bull when i read it and boi reps linking the "useful tips" is only aggrevating everyone more.

Did anyone ask for higher fees? I suspect not, but we are still being told that the feedback received by loyal customers helped shape the new structure. What a load of horse meat. 

Meanwhile, you are pushing people to self service banking, closing branches, cutting services and charging more for less. I know you have no say in what happens, but you can at least cut out the sh1t peddling here if you want to maintain any credibility with what YOU say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rfitzg

I forgot to mention in my last post that one of the pathetic excuses, I mean "reasons" for the new charges from BOI is the "refurbishment of branches".

Are you for real guys?  As they say in Texas "that's hay that's already been through the horse!"

Since when are a bank's customers expected to contribute towards the upkeep of branches?  I run my own software company and rent my premises.  If I told my clients I was increasing my fees to "refurbish my offices" I would be laughed out of business in an instant.

I swear.  In a few years marketing textbooks in college will have a chapter called "PR Disasters".  Underneath will be the Bank of Ireland logo and a copy of your email.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

goz83 wrote: »
    Sean. Please don't insult my intellingence. I know bull when i read it and boi reps linking the "useful tips" is only aggrevating everyone more.

Did anyone ask for higher fees? I suspect not, but we are still being told that the feedback received by loyal customers helped shape the new structure. What a load of horse meat. 

Meanwhile, you are pushing people to self service banking, closing branches, cutting services and charging more for less. I know you have no say in what happens, but you can at least cut out the sh1t peddling here if you want to maintain any credibility with what YOU say.
    What do you expect though, the man is paid by BOI to peddle ****. He knows himself they are ripping off customers but he cant say it. I'm sure someone did the figures that the money they would take in would outweigh the customers they lost. Its all about money. They know most people are too lazy to move banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

It's true, most people are too lazy to switch/close accounts. I was one of them so I'd like to thank BOI for providing me with the catalyst to do something which I've been planning on doing for some time now; Withdraw EVERY spare penny I have from my account and leaving in the bare minimum to cover bills DDs etc. Now, whilst you may still charge me your fees penalties in the mean time, I'm about to start re-routing by bills and DDs elsewhere. Your bank will not earn 1 single cent more from me than I can physically allow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm off too.
    I should have done it when I discovered I could get home insurance through a broker with exactly the same cover and exactly the same insurer for about  a third of what BOI Home Insurance was charging me, but now enough is enough - I've had an account 43 years.

Im closing my current account with boi and moving to TSB as soon as my savings account matures Im moving that to tsb for better interest also let me add. Im taking a stand against BOI who I bailed out with my taxpayers money. bye bye boi,.

Another shocke! Arrived home from holiday today. Tried to transfer money from my business account using business online banking, but there is an error! It NEVER works properly. The switching starts tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭davemeade1

Began the switching of my accounts today. actually surprised with how easy it is. Applied for a call back at the weekend, i was rang monday morning (between the hours i requested) and had appointment in PTSB today. I arrived with the listed documents and ID and left 30 or 40 mins later with two new current accounts open and ready to go. Also i'm fully setup for online and phone banking already. I will need to wait a week or so for visa debit cards but I've chosen a switch date of this time next month so have full use of BOI accounts till then so no issue not having visa debit cards for PTSB for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭jos22

davemeade1 wrote: »
    Began the switching of my accounts today. actually surprised with how easy it is. Applied for a call back at the weekend, i was rang monday morning (between the hours i requested) and had appointment in PTSB today. I arrived with the listed documents and ID and left 30 or 40 mins later with two new current accounts open and ready to go. Also i'm fully setup for online and phone banking already. I will need to wait a week or so for visa debit cards but I've chosen a switch date of this time next month so have full use of BOI accounts till then so no issue not having visa debit cards for PTSB for a few days
    funny how switching banks is easiest thing to do when it comes to banking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Am I the only person happy with the new charges, I think they are great as they will show more people what a shower of ******* are running the bank of ???? where ? oh yeah bank of germany. left BoI when u tried to turn my overdraft into a loan. 
    Keep going with new charges, drive more people away,  
    May all top people in BoI  rot
    PS tara, sean don't bother thanking me for my views

Advertisement