Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Customer Notice - Simpler, Clearer Pricing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi goz83, 

Thank for posting.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by the technical issue with Business Online.
    Information on this can be found on the BOL Status page here

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi All,

We are extremely sorry to hear we may be losing your business.

If there is anything we can help you with in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Paula C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I'm a loyal customer of BOI for the last 25 years or so.

This is now the straw that broke the camels back. Im now in the process of moving my accounts to another financial institution that has ZERO fees. I'm also moving my investment accounts as well, money which BOI in the past practically begged me to keep with them.

Anyway, there's really no point or no need to complain about it as BOI head honchos genuinely dont care. Branch staff no longer have any discretion.
    What's simple and clear now is how easy it is to switch accounts. It's very very simple.

One particular institution this week has been receiving thousands of account switch queries. They have been inundated.

So just switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I thought ye act on feedback or so ye say.
    Well ye have feedback here now and it makes no difference.
    So what ye have being telling us is a complete pack of lies,yeah?
    Ye also say ye are sorry to be losing customers.
    Don't sound too sorry to me.
    Sorry means you act to make up  for the wrong doings ye have imposed on people.
    What do we get from ye?...... Nothing!!.. Sweet FA!
    Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi All,

Thank you all for continuing to provide us with your valued input in relation to our new Personal Current Account fee structure.

Please see below some of the benefits and features available to our customers.
    • Access to over 250 branches and 1,500 ATMs nationwide.
    • Over 2,000 qualified Financial Advisors across the country.
    • 365Online and Mobile Banking App, for iPhone and Android users, giving you access to checking your account both at home and on the go.
    • Online payments to accounts at home and abroad.
    • Pay to mobile service - allows our mobile banking app customer transfer money to any registered Bank of Ireland account simply by knowing the mobile number of the account holder.
    • eStatements - a choice of receiving statements in paper form or by pdf via 365Online.
    • Our recently revamped website with a new Help Centre where you can find answers to your most frequently asked questions.
    • Numerous customer service channels, phone, email and social media presence.

We also provide mortgages, savings solutions, insurance services, current accounts, loans and investment services to over 1.3 million people around the country. We continue to work on improvements to our service offering and currently have a number of new initiatives in the pipeline. We will post here as and when we receive updates on these.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

People, I spoke recently with a Banking 365 rep on the phone. I asked why, when I clear my credit card immediately (eg: use credit card in a shop, go home and then go online and clear it) how I still incur 'late payment' fees. I was told the following:

"Not many people know this, but if you pay off your credit card immediately you'll suffer the late payment fees as the statement you'll receive indicating what you spent and what you owe requires the payment to be made off your card after the date on the statement. Therefore, being disciplined and paying it off immediately is actually costing you! What you should do is actually wait until you receive the statement and then make a payment." 

Folks, make no mistake about it. BOI doesn't exist because they care for us and our financial positions. They're there to make money. Simple as that and we are their cash cow. They'll keep hitting you with charges, fees and pathetic responses on forums like this as long as you let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hi All,

Thank you all for continuing to provide us with your valued input in relation to our new Personal Current Account fee structure.

Please see below some of the benefits and features available to our customers.

Access to over 250 branches and 1,500 ATMs nationwide.
    Over 2,000 qualified Financial Advisors across the country.

365Online and Mobile Banking App, for iPhone and Android users, giving you access to checking your account both at home and on the go.
    Online payments to accounts at home and abroad.
    Pay to mobile service - allows our mobile banking app customer transfer money to any registered Bank of Ireland account simply by knowing the mobile number of the account holder.
    eStatements - a choice of receiving statements in paper form or by pdf via 365Online.
    Our recently revamped website with a new Help Centre where you can find answers to your most frequently asked questions.
    Numerous customer service channels, phone, email and social media presence.

We also provide mortgages, savings solutions, insurance services, current accounts, loans and investment services to over 1.3 million people around the country. We continue to work on improvements to our service offering and currently have a number of new initiatives in the pipeline. We will post here as and when we receive updates on these.

Thanks
    Tara
    Other banks off the very same service but don't find the need to screw their customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I'm another customer.. Been a young customer for 10 years and would have taken out a mortgage with you but for these fees... I'm actually moving my account to one which I might pay for but the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

So not only I'm paying an extra 200 euros per month of tax to bail out corrupt bankers, but they continue to suck hard earned money with inappropriate fees? I'm going to move to PTSB for now - KBC will be offering current account as well later this year, hopefully this will force PTSB to maintain their no fee policies. Also I believe with the SEPA, I could have a current account anywhere in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi everyone,

Danpad wrote: »
    People, I spoke recently with a Banking 365 rep on the phone. I asked why, when I clear my credit card immediately (eg: use credit card in a shop, go home and then go online and clear it) how I still incur 'late payment' fees........

Hi Danpad,

Apologies regarding the information you were provided with. If you were speaking to Banking 365, the representative should have transferred you to Credit Card Services. 

If you currently do not have any outstanding balance on your credit card account, ie the balance is currently zero. You spend €50 in the shop and clear it immediately. No interest or late payment fee should be incurred. 

If you have a balance on your credit card of €1000 and spend €50. If you pay off the transaction of €50, you will be charged interest and depending on the minimum balance due on the bill, may also be charged a late payment fee. 

If it is still unclear, please call Credit Card Services directly on 1890 251 251. A representative can check your particular balance and statements and explain it in relation to that.

Hi everyone,
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Other banks off the very same service but don't find the need to screw their customers.
    tatabubbly wrote: »
    I'm another customer.. ...........but for these fees...
    Cilar wrote: »
    ..........they continue to suck hard earned money with inappropriate fees? I'm going to move to PTSB for now .....

Thank you very much for all your feedback. Bank of Ireland would be sorry to lose any customers due to this change. If any of you have any questions regarding your banking, please feel free to ask and we will assist anyway we can.

Thank you very much
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

I'd love to see the figures of customers who have left BOI this year so far. I have left, and have taken 7 family members with me. Terrible bank with a useless online business banking website

Dear Linda (BOI) you are mistaken with your information. If my credit card balance is 0.00 on the 1st of a month and that day I spend let's say for arguments sake €20 on it and go home immediately and clear it I will still incur late payment fees because I've paid before the statement is printed. That's what has been happening to me for years. If this is not proper procedure and BOI have been incorrectly charging me for the last few years then I'm owed a massive sum of money back. Please enter into private correspondence with me ASAP.

Hi Danpad,

If there is a zero balance on a credit card account when your statement is due to produce, it would not be possible to incur late payment fees for that month. 

We do not have access to specific account details in this department so we would not be in a position to look into this for you. If you contact Credit Card Services, on 1890 251 251, a representative will be more than happy to check your account and clarify things for you.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Danpad,

If there is a zero balance on a credit card account when your statement is due to produce, it would not be possible to incur late payment fees for that month. 

We do not have access to specific account details in this department so we would not be in a position to look into this for you. If you contact Credit Card Services, on 1890 251 251, a representative will be more than happy to check your account and clarify things for you.

Thanks
    Tara
    Wow! Astonishing!
    Folks, I just phoned the number provided and was told "Even if you use banking 365 on the phone or online to access/pay credit cards do not talk to the banking 365 agents regarding your credit card because they may not know how the credit card system works and they could mix you up!"
    That folks, is word for word. I didn't think I could be more dumbfounded by your attitude towards customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Hi Delta2113,

If you do close your account before February 2014, provided there has been no other activity on it, the maintenance fee would not be applied prior to closure.

Thanks
    Tara"

Would the maintenance fee be applied at closure or after closure? We need clear facts - not waffle on your website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Delta2113, 

Thanks for the post.

If there are any outsatanding fees, they would applied before the account is closed. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

@Danpad

Sounds like boi have been screwing you alright. I have a boi credit card and i almost always pay the balance before the bill/statement is sent. Sometimes, i pay money to my card account when i know i will be using my card to pay for something, so i have been in credit often. I have never, to my knowledge been charged late payment fees on my boi credit card. The rep is correct that you should not be charged these fees if your balance is zero, but is incorrect that it is impossible. We have all seen people being charged for things they shoukdn't be charged on automated systems after all. Looks like you shoukd speak with your branch manager directly and have him/her call card services if necessary, referencing this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just heard about these new fees, done my damn hardest to stay "Free" banking with BOI. Ive all my accounts with you, but now enough is enough. Its goodbye. This cant keep going on, the banks doing whatever they want. Time to speak with my feet. All my life ive banked with BOI, but there is better options out there. Everyone has to pay €5 a quater now, doesn't sound a lot, but it all adds up. The word "Bank" is becoming a swear word now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi snaps,

Sorry to hear we may be losing your business.

Please see here for details on how to minimise or avoid fees which may be useful to you.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Paula C

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hi snaps,

Sorry to hear we may be losing your business.

Please see here for details on how to minimise or avoid fees which may be useful to you.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Paula C

its the 5€ every quarter for maintenance. Just don't understand it. Why is the customer being punished. When you brought last fees in, I adjusted and made sure I got free banking. Keeping my current account over 3k to avoid fees instead of taking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Can you please give some details on how much feedback was received regarding the fee structure and difficulty understanding it versus the fees simply being too high.

No Pants wrote: »
    Can you please give some details on how much feedback was received regarding the fee structure and difficulty understanding it versus the fees simply being too high.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We receive customer feedback through all of our channels, branch, phone, email and social media. We would not have access to   this level of information here. 

If this is a media query, please see our Boards Charter where you can find contact details for our Media Team.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

No point asking questions.
    They'll just give you the runaround!

Hi blade1,

We are here to answer general day to day questions about products and services with Bank of Ireland. We will always endeavour to answer and help as much as we can however, some information we do not have access to and also some information that we cannot publish on a public forum.

If you do have any general questions about day to day banking, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I actually feel sorry for the reps here. They haven't made the decision to increase fees (it is an increase for any customer who was already on the correct structure) but have to defend it. Not a nice spot to be in. Their bosses (and the AIB bosses) however should be well and truly ashamed of themselves. Unfortunately for the "pillar banks" in Ireland they are alienating lifelong customers at a phenomenal rate and with SEPA coming, there WILL be alternatives outside Ireland in the coming years. There will be no place to hide from real competition then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Closing my account after 30 years with BOI. Parents set up an account for me before a birthday when I was maybe 7. For that reason alone, I have never been with AIB. However, changed over to PTSB last month. It has been fun. 

I feel sorry for the representatives here being forced to answer questions. I hope your managers feel sorry for you as well. They have given you a horrible job with not even a worthwhile message to defend yourselves with.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Partner went into BOI today to discuss fees and explain she wasn't happy. Basically told nothing they could do and no plans to change. Been banking nearly 20 years, loyalty means nothing. 

Well it's time for change, she went into Permanent TSB and tried to arrange an appointment with the switcher team, unfortunately for us it seems there is a 2 week waiting list. I can wait 2 weeks I just hope that BOI take notice however I don't think they will. 

The scaremongering about other banks could introduce fees etc, well the business they make off the back of the bad decisions of BOI and AIB im sure will counter any thoughts they (PTSB) may have on it.

Please don't reply with a friendly post of explaining that your ready and waiting to assist etc. I appreciate there is nothing you can say to help the decision however I don't need the mandatory reply template you keep pushing out.

If you could pass the feedback to someone in a position to make decisions it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Henriettax

Oh, actually, the "new and improved" scheme affects all customer the same way - they are being ripped off. How come UK customers are not charged anything at all no matter what they do?
    And yes, it is simple alright .... Good thing one can choose any bank one wants and there are free ones. I've been a BoI customer for a long time but this is just outrageous!
    "you will only be required to pay the €5 quarterly account maintenance fee"??????????? You would like 3000 of my hard earned money in my account at all times so you can use it for your speculations and I ONLY have to pay 20 Euros for that???????????? This really is a joke, isnt it?

delos wrote: »
    It's the last bit under "Why The Change?" in th e-mail that is just beyond belief:

"We hope these changes make it simpler for you to stay on top of your finances....."

Anyone who was on the correct plan before (and it wasn't rocket science to work out what plan you should be on) will now be paying more so how on earth is this supposed to help me stay on top of my finances? This isn't a rhetorical question. Can you please explain to me the reasoning behind charging me more money in an effort to help me stay on top of my finances?

I accept that free banking is gone and was never really sustainable, but why can't you be honest about this rather than spouting rubbish like suggesting that I keep €3000 in my account or that by charging me more you are actually helping me? If you are going to rob me, don't treat me like a moron while you are doing it.....
    But there are LOADS of banks all  over Europe who provide free banking - and I mean FREE without any conditions. And they provide the same service as any other bank.
    I do particularly like the last bit in your comment. I believe they really do think we are all morons....

• Advertisement

Hi All

This is to respond to all of your posts collectively.

We have read each post and thank you for taking the time to comment on the new fee structure.  

With the many banking channels now available, customers advised that they would like us to differentiate the costing values between self service and staff assisted transactions which helped shaped the current changes being introduced.This new fee structure is solely driven by customer feedback via all of our banking channels.  

Here is a link to tips which may help to save and minimise fees on your account.

We are happy to answer any banking queries as always but we cannot discuss, on this forum, the banks policies and procedures.

Thanks a million for your feedback. We want to assure you that feedback and suggestions are listened to and taken on board.

Thanks for posting.

Paula H
    oh, so the customers wanted to have their banking fees doubled?????????

Advertisement