Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important Customer Notice - Simpler, Clearer Pricing

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I am also upset by BOI (and the other banks) increasing fees. 
    We provide the bank with our money which allows them to function.
    It is again an example of the man on the street bailing out the wealthiest and biggest gamblers in Ireland.

The irish banks gambled and lost in the boom. Those losses should be recuperated from senior management, the building developers and the cash rich low taxed large corporations in Ireland.

The most insulting part of the actions by the banks is how they target the absolute weakest clients and not their strongest.I am referring to the "helpful clauses" like if you keep 3,000 euros in your account or have transactions over a certain amount you can avoid fees. i.e. If your poor or out of work without cash flow we will charge you extra. It is revolting chasing these people for a few euros when banks throw/threw millions and billions are thrown around at a whim.

Sadly nothing will change unless people vote with their feet in large numbers. If the bank wants to behave like it does not want or need your custom then we must should not continue to do business with them. People need to move their cash out of BOI and any other bank lacking social and corporate responsibility. 

The young generation had no part in the bust and why the banks want to chase us for pittance is something i do not understand when the likes of BOI have clients who are among the worlds most successful companies and are tied into irelands generous tax system and are easy targets for the bank to recuperate money.

I like many other clients am a young man in a stable job looking keenly at getting my first mortgage. BOI are jeopardising the income they can earn from me in the future because of what i regard as short sighted greed.

I refuse to engage with these new fees and if the bank wont offer free banking i WILL move my business to a place which at least pretends to be grateful for my business. Again the targeting of the weakest clients is something the bank should be ashamed of given its very recent history.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭sean200

I am also upset by BOI (and the other banks) increasing fees. 
    We provide the bank with our money which allows them to function.
    It is again an example of the man on the street bailing out the wealthiest and biggest gamblers in Ireland.

The irish banks gambled and lost in the boom. Those losses should be recuperated from senior management, the building developers and the cash rich low taxed large corporations in Ireland.

The most insulting part of the actions by the banks is how they target the absolute weakest clients and not their strongest.I am referring to the "helpful clauses" like if you keep 3,000 euros in your account or have transactions over a certain amount you can avoid fees. i.e. If your poor or out of work without cash flow we will charge you extra. It is revolting chasing these people for a few euros when banks throw/threw millions and billions are thrown around at a whim.

Sadly nothing will change unless people vote with their feet in large numbers. If the bank wants to behave like it does not want or need your custom then we must should not continue to do business with them. People need to move their cash out of BOI and any other bank lacking social and corporate responsibility. 

The young generation had no part in the bust and why the banks want to chase us for pittance is something i do not understand when the likes of BOI have clients who are among the worlds most successful companies and are tied into irelands generous tax system and are easy targets for the bank to recuperate money.

I like many other clients am a young man in a stable job looking keenly at getting my first mortgage. BOI are jeopardising the income they can earn from me in the future because of what i regard as short sighted greed.

I refuse to engage with these new fees and if the bank wont offer free banking i WILL move my business to a place which at least pretends to be grateful for my business. Again the targeting of the weakest clients is something the bank should be ashamed of given its very recent history.
    <SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

sean200 banned from forum for failing to heed previous warnings and bans. 

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Dear Bank of Ireland,
    I have been a loyal customer for in excess of 35 years. In that time I have opened and closed various loan, investment and business accounts. While I worked in the UK during the 1990s, I opened and maintained accounts with your English subsidiary. I have never missed a payment on any loan, I have never overdrawn my current account, and always clear my credit card.
    I have always found bank staff to be courteous and helpful, and a pleasure to deal with, and I appreciate that these new charges are not the fault of most of the staff.
    However, I object to these new charges. Particularly in light of the obscene salaries paid to Richie, Archie et al. I object on three levels.
    Firstly, I am one of the taxpayers forced to pay for the (lets call them) mistakes made by a bunch of overpaid morons whose decision making skills during the so called boom rival those of my infant son.
    Secondly, I am a shareholder who invested some of my hard earned money in the mistaken belief that my money was safe, and might even generate a reasonable return.
    Thirdly as a customer. The money in my accounts is given out by BOI as loans to other customers, who repay them at high rates of interest. As I see it, BOI should be paying me interest, not charging me for the use of my money.

Yesterday, I tried to ring my branch to register my protest, and to inform the staff I will be moving my accounts. After wading through the BS numerical guessing game, I was left on hold for about 5 minutes, before hanging up in disgust.

My family feel the same. I have spoken to them all over the last couple of hours, and we will all be moving. The total turnover on all the family accounts last year (including accounts for 3 businesses 10 personal savings accounts, 12 personal current accounts and 5 investment accounts) was in excess of €1.5 million. All gone from the books of BOI for the sake of a couple of hundred euro you tried to gouge out of us.

But I would like to repeat my thanks to the staff. A I have said, I realise its not your fault. However, I refuse to be ripped off to subsidize Richie's golf club subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi skafish,

Thanks for posting.

We're sorry to hear you'll be closing your accounts.

If you would like to send a PM with your name, account holding branch and contact telephone number, we will ask for your branch to contact you.

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Hi skafish,

Thanks for posting.

We're sorry to hear you'll be closing your accounts.

If you would like to send a PM with your name, account holding branch and contact telephone number, we will ask for your branch to contact you.

Thanks

Billy
    Why? Will my branch manager be able to exempt me from the new charges?

Hi skafish,

Thanks for posting.

The maintenance fee will apply to all current account holders except 2nd Level, 3rd Level, Graduate and Golden Years customers. 

I offered to arange a call from your branch because you mentioned you were on hold for 5 minutes and then hung up. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I have my appointment with PTSB tomorrow and will be transferring my savings, current and credit card accounts to them. I've been a customer for 15 years but these new fee arrangements were the last straw for me. The fact that BOI want to charge me 5 euro per quarter even if my balance is anything >3,000 (and it usually is) is unbelievable.

Also, to have BOI reps coming on here and somehow try to tell us that this was what the people wanted just adds insult injury. Don't bother to tell me you are sorry to hear I'm leaving as you are speaking on behalf of BOI here and I don't believe for a second that BOI care whether I leave or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Hi BankofIreland,
    I am in the process of moving banks, I have a form that I need to submit requesting that the tax relief at source for our mortgage be paid into the new permanent TSB account instead of the BOI account being closed. Who should I send this form to? The mortgage is with BoI, and would have been set up in the Loughrea branch.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

BOI,

I currently live out of the country, but still have my current account back home. It is only ever used when I am back for holdiays, or whenever I transfer money to it. The amount that is sitting in it is quite substantial. Will i now get charged fees from February onwards?

I also own shares in your bank. In light of the changes that are coming, would you recommend that I sell my shares before your customer base completely collapses?

Thanks for repaying my 25 years of loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula H

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    Hi BankofIreland,
    I am in the process of moving banks, I have a form that I need to submit requesting that the tax relief at source for our mortgage be paid into the new permanent TSB account instead of the BOI account being closed. Who should I send this form to? The mortgage is with BoI, and would have been set up in the Loughrea branch.

Cheers!
    Hi EAFC_fdfl

The TRS comes from your Mortgage to your Current account so you would need to send this TRS form into Revenue. 

Thanks for posting. 

Paula H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If I close my current account before Feb 2014 (dont use it at all) and transfer my closing balance using switching code to another bank will this be considered a transaction and result in me being charged a €5 maintenance fee?

I can put it another way - do you consider closing a BOI current account as "using your account"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

when do these new charges kick in? So if i have over 3,000 in my current account now does it mean nothing??

Hi Delta2113, 

Thanks for your question. 

Closing an account does not count as a transaction so there is no transaction charge for this. 

Thanks

Billy

Hi snaps, 
    Thanks for posting.

The new fee structure begins on Aug 19th. 

If you maintain a minimum balance of at least €3,000 for the full fee quarter, you will qualify for the No Transaction Fees offer however the €5 quarterly maintenance Fee will still apply.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Hi EAFC_fdfl

The TRS comes from your Mortgage to your Current account so you would need to send this TRS form into Revenue. 

Thanks for posting. 

Paula H

Hi Paula H
    I have contacted revenue and they have put the ball back in your court,they say its up to the mortgage provider to handle this change,so can you let me know as my mortgage is with boi?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Hi Delta2113, 

Closing an account does not count as a transaction so there is no transaction charge for this. 

Thanks

Billy
    Ok no transaction fee but what about the €5 fee - would I be charged this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Delta2113,

Provided there is no other activity on your account and it remains inactive until closure, the €5 maintenance fee would not apply.

Thanks
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Simpler clearer pricing?? You're having a laugh.

More expensive pricing you mean. Went in to close my account as I've joined ptsb. Over 55 euro in "fees" deducted from my final balance. Outrageous gouging by bank of ireland. The very helpful woman in customer service was shocked at the amount of fees. Said it was shocking. I told her that's exactly why I'm closing the account. 

With the old structure of a flat fee for 90 transactions at least you knew where you stood. This is sickening behaviour. I withdrew 10k in savings and 1k from current account, and closed both. 

Good riddance 

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Hi L5,

How did you close your account?

Was it done there and then?

I am in the same boat, swapped all my accounts due to the changes and not being able to lodge cash and coins when I want. (Its a bank!)

I have joined Ulster Bank, even though I am paying €10 a month I get loads with that including death insurance, phone insurance, travel insurance etc.

Dmca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I just want to confirm something a girl in my bank told me a few weeks ago... Are contactless  transactions with my Visa Debit free under the new fee structure? ie if I spend €5 via contactless payment tomorrow will that transaction not be charged at 20cent? That's what I was told but Idon't trust BOI staff after getting wrong info a few times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi whatlliwear,

What you were advised is correct. We will continue to waive all domestic contactless transaction fees, until the 18th August 2014. A transaction fee of 15c will apply thereafter. You can find more information on our Personal Current Account fee structure here.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Flynner1313

Hi,

Was posting a question about Bank of Ireland elsewhere and found this old thread. Was interested to read the posts about free banking being unattainable.

I live in the UK and have never paid a bank fee in my 15 years here. Many European countries offer free banking as normal. While not with Bank of Ireland over here I am pretty certain they don't charge any fees to their UK customers either. Some banks even pay interest on your balance! Remember that? Banks paying interest on your money rather than charging you fees to put your money in the bank and take it out? 

It appears its simply squeezing money out of their customers to pay for past mistakes. As a new poster I won't write what I think of this shower as I don't want to get banned on my first day!

Flynner1313 

Advertisement