Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caramel Squares

Options
  • 13-06-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hello!

Does anyone have a good recipe for Caramel Squares using Digestive biscuits as the base? Also can I use honey instead of golden syrup?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can find my recipe in the Cooking Club here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056409066. I tried using some honey once and I thought it was disgustingly sweet. Honey might also be too runny for the caramel to set properly, so I wouldn't use it personally.

I don't use digestives for the base, but you can do it easily. Just crush up digestive biscuits and mix with melted butter and press into a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

+1 for Faith's recipe.

Any time I've tried using crushed digestives, it falls apart like crazy. Nothing i tried seemed to hold it together, which is why I always use the shortbread base instead.

Also, people in the thread Faith linked who used honey said it burned like crazy, so its probably not a good idea

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Another vote for Faith's recipe - I've never tasted nicer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

My daughter makes ones from a very similar recipe and they are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Faith's caramel squares are literally the best thing I've ever had in my mouth (ooh-er!) Seriously though, they are unbelievably good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

A cheesecake base made from digestives and butter stays together but cheesecake is typically not left hanging around at room tempurature for hours and is typically eaten with a fork.

In a caramel square, where the base is holding the whole thing together and people eat them with their hands, the butter would go soft and it would fall apart quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You can bake a crushed biscuit base to make it less crumbly, as seen here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6257/digestive-biscuit-base.aspx
    Haven't tried it for caramel squares but have used similar method with cheesecakes, nice crispy result

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the digestive and butter base and honey in the caramel and they turned out very well. I cut them up quite small so the base didn't crumble too much. My only issue was knowing when the caramel had been in the oven long enough as the recipe said for 12 mins or until golden and I wasn't sure what golden looked like :0. Anyway they tasted yum and went down a treat.

Advertisement