Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for Video Editing

Options
  • 13-06-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help me with this - I'm working off a laptop at the moment and it's a massive pain in the... neck, so I'm after recommendations for a PC for editing.

I know this is more suited to the tech forums, but since it's specifically video editing I'll ask here.

Plan is to run Adobe's Creative Suite and Magic Bullet Looks, 90% DSLR video editing, potentially some higher res in the next year, but if it's going to cost a lot more I'm not overly pushed. Running an i7 in the laptop, and it's fast enough, but a few things I've thrown at it recently have given it fits.

Requirements are fast(ish) rendering/exporting with Magic Bullet, reasonably future proof - would like to get 3 years out of it, capable of handling some basic vis FX, and if it's not a huge price jump, able to work with RAW video - thinking Blackmagic Camera rental for a project coming up, but if it's cheaper for a week or two in an edit suite, I'll just do that. And a massive hard drive would be good.

Any ideas on price/recommendations? Self-build I'll try but I've never done it before, so I'd rather something off the shelf.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You'll get more than 3 years out of an i7 desktop.

The building and upgrading forum is where to ask though, I asked the same question in there 3 years ago and I'm sitting in front of the PC they recommended right now.

Many of the requests are for video editing machines so they're well versed in building that specific type of PC.

I'd say you'll get something for under a grand that will have 12 - 16gb of ram, an SSD for your programs and a second hard drive for your files (I'd recommend a raid array to protect your files.

The good thing is at the moment the hardware is well ahead of the software so you'll get plenty of bang for your buck.

Advertisement