Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing BSc Help

• 13-06-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I want to ultimately get a degree, as I've never previously gotten one. I feel computers is the way for me to go as I'm very interested in it and i seem to be good at it.

I've been looking at the Computing course in CIT, I would have to do a Part Time course because I'm working Full time and can't afford not to. I'll be 23 in November, so I'll be looking to do it as a mature student. I know that without a previous higher cert I can't go straight into the Part time 2 year Computing BSc course.

The obvious option would be to first do the Computing Higher Certificate in CIT, but unfortunately I can't afford that right now. I'm wondering, if I did a FETAC level 5/6 course in computers first (which would be signifigantly less cost), would that help me to then get directly into the Computing BSc part time course?

Any advice welcome and appreciated, I've emailed the IT department at the college but waiting for a reply :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

by doing it Part time its 300 or 290 i think per Module so if you could only afford maybe 2 modules a Semester till you get on your feet you would have it done in about 4 Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JessCork90

Cork24 wrote: »
    by doing it Part time its 300 or 290 i think per Module so if you could only afford maybe 2 modules a Semester till you get on your feet you would have it done in about 4 Years.

Thank you... yeah the Higher Certificate is €200 a module and BSc is €300 a module.

The problem is it would take me about 4 years for the higher cert, then 4 years for the Degree which is a long time! And then the registration fee's per year will be a lot as it'll take me longer, so it probably wouldn't even be worth drawing it out. I would be happy to draw it out and do the 3-4 years for the degree depending how much I can save but I don't think I could afford both.

Do you have any idea if the FETAc is a way to lead into the Degree? Thanks!

JessCork90 wrote: »
    Thank you... yeah the Higher Certificate is €200 a module and BSc is €300 a module.

The problem is it would take me about 4 years for the higher cert, then 4 years for the Degree which is a long time! And then the registration fee's per year will be a lot as it'll take me longer, so it probably wouldn't even be worth drawing it out. I would be happy to draw it out and do the 3-4 years for the degree depending how much I can save but I don't think I could afford both.

Do you have any idea if the FETAc is a way to lead into the Degree? Thanks!

Theirs no Registration fee's if your doing it part time. May i ask do you any loans are you going out with some one, do you really need to be in the job, so No to either one. Why not get Fired.

By that way you could go to and do it Part-time for free the only problem with this that if you do get offered a Job you have to drop out, but you could still do it but you just have to pay for it
    http://www.cit.ie/springboard

Which all the Fees a waved off, and if you stick at it, and after nine months you go apply for a back to Education from the Social Welfare where you can go back full time and you pay not one penny.

if your doing the Spring board you have to pop into CIT tomorrow

Cork24 wrote: »
    Theirs no Registration fee's if your doing it part time. May i ask do you any loans are you going out with some one, do you really need to be in the job, so No to either one. Why not get Fired.

By that way you could go to and do it Part-time for free the only problem with this that if you do get offered a Job you have to drop out, but you could still do it but you just have to pay for it
    http://www.cit.ie/springboard

Which all the Fees a waved off, and if you stick at it, and after nine months you go apply for a back to Education from the Social Welfare where you can go back full time and you pay not one penny.

if your doing the Spring board you have to pop into CIT tomorrow

That's great about no registration fee I didn't realize that. That might be a good option then.

No unfortunately I have to stay in my job. I live out of home so have rent and bills to pay, I'm getting married in November and my partner doesn't work due to illness so I have to pay the bills somehow. I would love to do it full time but it just isn't feasible right now.

Thank you very much for the advice though!

Ok, Here is the Module Content..
    http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/649

You be Learning Java within the 4 Semester.. So I would get my Hands on

Deitel - How to Program Java 9th Edition
    or go onto The New Boston on Youtube for his Java videos

HTML you can learn that on w3schools

And you be doing the CCNA Course within the Modules that for Networking, so you could go to CBT Nuggets and get their ICND 1 & ICND 2 which will go through everything that you need.

• Advertisement

Thanks... ok so I went and met with Jim O'Dwyer at CIT yesterday, very nice guy gave me good advice. Basically the Higher Cert will take me a minimum of 3 years part time (that's doing as much as I'll be allowed really). Since I'll be on honeymoon at the end of this year he's gonna let me start in February in Semester 2 which is nice of him. I'll also get to skip 2 modules under the RPL which will help. Then to go on and do the degree will take about 2 more years.

So all in all, it'll take 5 years and about €7,200 for me to complete it... I need to decide whether to apply or not. Anyone have any advice on if it's worth the time/money? Will it get me work in the long run? (obviously combined with my fantastic interview skills and previous work experience :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Thanks... ok so I went and met with Jim O'Dwyer at CIT yesterday, very nice guy gave me good advice. Basically the Higher Cert will take me a minimum of 3 years part time (that's doing as much as I'll be allowed really). Since I'll be on honeymoon at the end of this year he's gonna let me start in February in Semester 2 which is nice of him. I'll also get to skip 2 modules under the RPL which will help. Then to go on and do the degree will take about 2 more years.

So all in all, it'll take 5 years and about €7,200 for me to complete it... I need to decide whether to apply or not. Anyone have any advice on if it's worth the time/money? Will it get me work in the long run? (obviously combined with my fantastic interview skills and previous work experience :D )

I did the Bsc (Computer Applications) back in the 80s (actually Jim was one of my lecturers back then !), and I've been working in the computer industry since. I would highly recommend it, and if the Dept is anything like they were then, I'm sure you'll be fine. I admire what you plan to do, best of luck.

Good Luck within the Course.

Advertisement