Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take for the estate agent to get back to you?

Options
  • 13-06-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I put a bid in on a house last Friday of 5,000 less than what they are looking for..the estate agent said he would get back to me...it's thursday and still no word....does it normally take this long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some EA's are sh|t at their job, so yeah, it could be a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Which piece of string did you pick out? Don't appear too anxious. Unless it's been in the market a while or he's undervalued it, you'll hear from any half way competent agent. After all, the diff between your offer and the asking is only €100 to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

It probably depends on the seller rather than the estate agent. Maybe they want to think about it for a bit longer, or they want to see if any more offers come in. If you don't hear from them by tomorrow, maybe follow up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

miezekatze wrote: »
    If you don't hear from them by tomorrow, maybe follow up on it.
    Do not do this, chasing after them will put you at a disadvantage in the bidding process. They're letting you hang to see how keen you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭khards

We had a similar problem, then the house suddenly went sale agreed without them getting back to us.
    We then chased the agent as they were selling the house to someone else (a friend) for less than we would pay.
    In the end we bid the other party up a good amount before pulling out as it would have been overpriced.

So yes, do chase them up and hassle them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

khards wrote: »
    We then chased the agent as they were selling the house to someone else (a friend) for less than we would pay.
    In the end we bid the other party up a good amount before pulling out as it would have been overpriced.

Are you still friends with the other bidder?

Are you still friends with the other bidder?

They want it, they pay for it.

I bid on lots of houses with no real intent on following it through. If I won a bid, then I would have to withdraw it.
    My tactics are to go up in small increments and pull out near self imposed imaginary limits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I bid on lots of houses with no real intent on following it through. If I won a bid, then I would have to withdraw it.
    My tactics are to go up in small increments and pull out near self imposed imaginary limits :)

So you bid on houses that you don't want to buy causing somebody that wants the house to increase their bid and end up paying more for it than they should have?!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

you, sir, are a <mod snip>

I know :)

some people get a kick out of anything..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I know :)

some people get a kick out of anything..

What kick do you get out of that? Do you feel you are getting one up on EAs or something. It's totally bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭comanche_cor

Do not do this, chasing after them will put you at a disadvantage in the bidding process. They're letting you hang to see how keen you are.

That is one side of it, the other side of it is that an offer has been put on and you want to find out if its been rejected / refused. If the OP knows how much they want to pay then they should just stick to their guns. The problem may be if the EA plays silly buggers and starts inventing bids ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you may find that they are hanging around to use your offer to get others involved. I never make an offer in the 1st 2-3 weeks of a house on show because they will use my bid to create business. I also hate being told that stuff has offers when its clear they don't. I would follow up but more on the notion that we're not hanging around with an open offer. One way of doing this is to ask to view another property with the same auctioneer?

Advertisement