Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky v Eircom Broadband

• 13-06-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has signed up with or has experience of Sky broadband in the Ennis area? I currently have Three mobile broadband which I need to get rid of asap before I crack altogether! Sky appears to have the best offer at the moment price wise but I'd say they would all work out pretty similar in the longer term.

A phone is not of any priority to me so Vodafone would be an option also.

I just want a decent broadband service and service provider so any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated. I'm in the Tulla Rd side of Ennis.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

All "landline" broadbands like Sky, Eircom or Vodafone will be over the Eircom infrastructure so they will all be exactly the same except for price.

Mobile broadbands are usually best to try out a few different ones to see the best 1 for you, some estates will have great coverage in 99% of houses for 1 type of provider but 1% won't have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a difference, sky aren't using the new fibre, so eircom vodafone etc will have a huge advantage till sky catch up.

That said if you're on the cappahard estate exchange, which also serves some neighbouring estates you won't have the new fibre anyway.

Eircom are doing an introductory offer at the minute that looks ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

eircom eFibre (or one of its resellers like Magnet Fat Pipe) is the best if it's available to you. There are a few VDSL cabs live on the Tulla road, so you will hopefully be near enough to one.

If it's not available to you, I'd normally recommend Sky (or an other LLU provider; who put their own equipment in to the exchanges to better control speeds/quality). However, Whitepark & Ballymacahill Cross (2 smaller exchanges out the Tulla Road) aren't LLU-enabled I think. They are, at least, ADSL2 though, which means you should be able to get the better quality "next generation broadband" (even if it's not) from eircom, or any of their resellers. ADSL2/NGB means less contention at night time.

As to which provider you go with, it's up to you. Pick the bundle that best suits you (or you calling patterns/minutes, if you use the landline for calls at all). Sky also provide non-LLU broadband, so they're an option as well (and might work out cheaper for you depending on your calls).

First, figure if you can get eFibre from eircom (they have a phone number test on their site). If you can't, then check out the bundles from eircom/Vodafone/Magnet/Smart/etc. and see which suits you best. The quality of their networks is largely dependant on eircom so, barring a fault, they'll all perform in and around the same. That's not always the case, but it is usually. Best to check with neighbours to see how they like their provider, etc.

Finally, o2/Three/etc. can't do reliable broadband; the technology isn't designed for that. Consider it a last resort, only!

EDIT: You should have a good chance of getting VDSL/eFibre, as there are a few VDSL cabs out that way (Ballymacahill Cross, and a few back around Corrorvorrin).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

I was with vodafone and since last December the service was terrible, eg take a phone call on the landline and the broadband went down. I signed up to Eircom 6 weeks ago, ngb is available in our area and it's fantastic. The various companies are using the same basic infastructure but how they load them varies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

Is sky broadband not satellite broad band ?? I live in the country side and get 2 megs from eircom. I'm going to change but would like to get mobile X 2, landline and broadband and TV all in one if possible however I believe e mobiles coverage can be so so and no one does TV except SKY and they dont do mobiles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No. Sky dont use satellite broadband. They use the phone line.
    Be aware that they charge €10 extra if you live out in the sticks.
    Better to shop around. Eircom will likely do you a deal if you threaten to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I changed from vodafone to sky 2 months ago and am delighted with it, excellent speed etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

haybob wrote: »
    Is sky broadband not satellite broad band ?? I live in the country side and get 2 megs from eircom. I'm going to change but would like to get mobile X 2, landline and broadband and TV all in one if possible however I believe e mobiles coverage can be so so and no one does TV except SKY and they dont do mobiles

Check your area for fixed wireless broadband .... it might be your best bet for getting reasonable broadband speed.

Advertisement