Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on climbing plants

• 13-06-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am thinking about some climbing plants for a wall in my back garden and would appreciate any advice that you can send my way.

I have run wire all along the back wall to support climbers that do not grab directly onto the wall.

I have been looking at clematis and scented jasmine but i am not quite sure if they will take off with the way the wall is facing.

As you can see from the compass in the corner of the picture below the wall is not exactly south facing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You will be fine to grow clematis on that wall, they will get plenty of evening sun and in fact prefer their roots to be cool, to the extent that you are advised to put a cover of some sort - paving stone, gravel, etc over the roots. There might be a tendency for them to show the best of their flowers over the wall on the other side, but you can pinch out very long shoots. You could put in a mixture of clematis so that you have something in flower for the whole summer - check their labels for flowering times.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

looksee wrote: »
    You will be fine to grow clematis on that wall, they will get plenty of evening sun and in fact prefer their roots to be cool, to the extent that you are advised to put a cover of some sort - paving stone, gravel, etc over the roots. There might be a tendency for them to show the best of their flowers over the wall on the other side, but you can pinch out very long shoots. You could put in a mixture of clematis so that you have something in flower for the whole summer - check their labels for flowering times.

Do you think something as small as one foot high would take off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

If your looking for an evergreen climber, I would suggest a Solarium Jasmine (Potato vine) it grows about 1m wide and 2 or 3 m high.
    It grows very fast and will definitely take off in a shaded garden but it will need wire or a trellis for support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tulipout wrote: »
    If your looking for an evergreen climber, I would suggest a Solarium Jasmine (Potato vine) it grows about 1m wide and 2 or 3 m high.
    It grows very fast and will definitely take off in a shaded garden but it will need wire or a trellis for support.

Or maybe Self supporting/self clinging evergreen hydrangea.....Hydrangea Seemanii.

Needs to establish itself,but once it does,it grows vigorously.

Lovely rich glossy evergreen leaves and large white scented flowers from late June onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

paddy147 wrote: »
    Or maybe Self supporting/self clinging evergreen hydrangea.....Hydrangea Seemanii.

Needs to establish itself,but once it does,it grows vigorously.

Lovely rich glossy evergreen leaves and large white scented flowers from late June onwards.

Looks nice Paddy.

I might check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Looks nice Paddy.

I might check it out.

Its not as common a sight in gardens as the likes of Hydrangea Petiolaris,which is the deciduous Hydrangea climber.

Advertisement