Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Reading 2013

Options
  • 13-06-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Have read a few books in quick succession. I'll put them all in a different post.:cool:

Title: Foster

Author:
    Claire Keegan

Thoughts:
    Lovely simple story. I really liked the protagonist, felt very sorry for her family circumstances. The ending left more questions that I would have thought from such a short, simple story. I would recommend.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

Title: How Many Miles to Babylon?

Author:
    Jennifer Johnston

Thoughts:
    Having heard about this book I was apprehensive to read it, but I'm really glad I did! The characters were great, I loved Alec but I was frustrated with Jerry! The bond between the pair was very natural and the descriptions of the war time struggles were very realistic.

Title: All My Sons

Author:
    Arthur Miller

Thoughts:
    I love Arthur Miller. I love this play! One of the best things I've read in a while. The characters are complex and understated, the descriptiveness is very thorough and you can almost imagine the characters while reading. I haven't read much from the American perspective during the war but this would encourage me to look more into it. I would definitely recommend this play.

Title: Heart Shaped Box

Author:
    Joe Hill

Thoughts:
    I read this for a book club, it wouldn't be something I'd choose to read. I didn't like it. No bond with the characters, the concept seemed forced and unbelievable. I can get caught up in worlds created by writers and imagine the strangest events being true but this didn't achieve what it set out to do. Wouldn't recommend.

Title: The Book Thief

Author:
    Markus Zusak

Thoughts:
    Thoroughly enjoyable. I found it a little hard to get into in the beginning. Great concept. I am very interested in WWII so this appealed to me straight away. The characters were endearing and believable. I felt a strong bond with them. The style of writing was great. Death is a great narrator! I would highly recommend.

Title: Ham on Rye

Author:
    Charles Bukowski

Thoughts:
    I have heard a lot about this book, from various friends and acquaintances so when I got the chance to read curiosity got the better of me. I did enjoy the book. I was well written and the story was interesting. Very in funny in parts but also quite crude. I was left wanting with the ending, very abrupt. I don't think I'd recommend it and I probably wouldn't go out of my way to read other work by Bukowski but I did think this was okay.

• Advertisement

Title: Siddhartha

Author:
    Hermann Hesse

Thoughts:
    Recommended to me by my dad. It was quick to read. It was thought provoking and beautifully descriptive. I can see why it is such an inspirational piece of literature. Didn't warm to the characters, seemed a bit self-righteous.

Title: The Leopard

Author:
    Jo Nesbo

Thoughts:
    Having read all of the previous books in the Harry Hole series but having heard bad things about this book, I was sceptical about reading. I had to leave a gap between finishing The Snowman and reading this because the worlds created by Nesbo are intense and draining. I like the suspense and the twists. Not altogether believable, much too long but enjoyable. I'll give it a break before reading the next in the series.

Title: The Bell Jar

Author:
    Sylvia Plath

Thoughts:
    I am a huge fan of Plath's poetry, having read two of her collections I was saving this book up with anticipation. This book has been compared to 'The Catcher in the Rye' and I can see why, although I think this is a lot more personal and moving. I feel we catch a glimpse of a fragile woman trying to come to terms with the world around her. It reminds me of Chopin's 'The Awakening', and I know it is a book I will re-read again and again.

Title: The Fault in Our Stars

Author: John Green

Thoughts: Decided to try out something different. My cousin is a big fan of John Green. I found the novel loaded with teenage melancholy. I did shed a tear though! Doubtful I'd read another by this author.

Title: Mister Pip

Author:
    Lloyd Jones

Thoughts:
    Another good read. The story was quick to begin and it held my interest throughout. The protagonist was likeable and to a certain extent compelling. I would be interested to read more on this subject and by this author.

• Advertisement

Title: The White Tiger

Author:
    Aravind Adiga

Thoughts:
    Took me a while to get interested in this book, I think it may be because of the style it is written in.The protagonist writes a series of letters that give an account of his life. I didn't warm to the protagonist, but the story was interesting.

Title: Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns

Author:
    Lauren Weisberger

Thoughts:
    Well I thought I'd try a 'light read'.... and boy do I regret it now! Having not read the previous book, but having seen the film, I thought this may be at least readable. Everything about this book annoyed me! The characters, the ridiculous plot, the 'twists' that were glaringly obvious! If I could erase it from my mind I would! :(

Title: The Dinner

Author:
    Herman Koch

Thoughts:
    Saw this mentioned in another posters reading log and I was intrigued. Good concept for a story. I did enjoy reading it, although I found it long-winded at times. Thought provoking subject matter. It was a good read.

Title: Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald

Author:
    Therese Anne Fowler

Thoughts:
    Having previously read work by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and being a fan of historical fiction in relation to some of the literary greats, I was looking forward to reading this. I found it slow moving in the beginning, but I got into it by the time they had moved to Paris. From what I can gather the author used her artistic licence generously. The characters seemed a but whiny in places, but I did feel sorry for the Zelda created in this book.

Title: A Thousand Splendid Suns

Author:
    Khaled Hosseini

Thoughts:
    Really enjoyed this book. Felt a real connection to the characters. The narrative was so emotional and personal. The two main characters were beautifully described and I really felt as if I knew how they felt in their situation. It was sad but really worth the read.

Title: The Uncommon Reader

Author:
    Alan Bennett

Thoughts:
    I chose this as a quick read that I've had on my Kindle for a while, I was taking a flight and had it read in about two hours. They are two hours I wish I could get back to be honest! I can't even say anything good about the book at all! Bad in every way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Title: The Devil I know

Author: Claire Kilroy

Thoughts: Its a fairly light satire on the Celtic Tiger set mostly around Howth. Quite different to other books of hers I have read. I enjoyed it, some of the scenes seemed outlandish and unbelievable but then one only had to think of the tone of the Anglo tapes!

Title: Swimming Home

Author:
    Deborah Levy

Thoughts:
    This book was only okay. I felt that the narrative was a bit too disjointed and there was no real flow. The events weren't explained enough and there was no real understanding of the characters actions. It took a while to read, even though it's a short book, because I had no real connection to the characters.

Title: The Lord of the Flies

Author: William Golding

Thoughts: I knew the general plot and was intrigued to read the novel. I really enjoyed it. The characters were well thought out, a good mix of personalities. Great pace and build up of excitement. I would recommend this book.

Title: Girls in White Dresses

Author:
    Jennifer Close

Thoughts:
    Was in the mood for an easy read so I chose a chick-lit for a change. It was okay. Much like a rom-com the story was a bit predictable. Wasn't too taken with the protagonist and the ending just fizzled out. I wasn't expecting much, and I didn't get it! But it hit the chewing gum for the brain spot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭Banneret

very nice

Advertisement