Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap accommodation in Cork

Options
  • 13-06-2013 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So here's the deal. I have been unemployed in Dublin for a while and have zapped all my savings, I have been offered a job but it's in Cork starting on 11th July.

I can afford to spend around €40 a week on accommodation and nothing more until my first payday , which isn't enough for any hostel or B&B that I've managed to find.

Before I throw myself on the mercy of the Couchsurfing website I was wondering if any Cork-folk had any other suggestions re: budget accommodation in the city?

I really would appreciate your thoughts as I'm in a Catch 22 situation. I am in the process of trying to ask my new employer for a small advance on my salary but have been told by my recruitment consultant that this isn't likely to happpen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Bad buzz. Have you tried negotiating with the hostels or have you gone by their official rates? Where's the job? The upside is Cork is awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

cantdecide wrote: »
    Bad buzz. Have you tried negotiating with the hostels or have you gone by their official rates? Where's the job? The upside is Cork is awesome!

You're right, I've heard nothing but good things! It's with Apple, but I imagine you have fairly good public transport for getting around the City? I will try and contact one or two hostels and see what they have to say - sad to say, I only receive a small weekly stipend so can't offer an upfront bulk discount but still no doubt solutions will present themselves, I'll stay at a homeless shelter if I have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I know my friends are currently paying around €40 a week for a house on college road. Maybe contact a few landlords and see if they have a empty room in one of their houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

Try the ucc college accomadation website! you shoud get a decent comfortable place for 40e with a bit of negotiation as landlords generally just have them houses sitting around for the summer and should be happy with any rent. Also, if you are worried about living with noisy students, most student who are in cork for the summer will be on placement or doing a thesis so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

A lot of the various student accommodation complexes cut their costs for the summer to around what your looking to pay.

There's plenty around UCC and a few out near CIT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You probably won't get a nice place, but as the others have said, here's a bunch of student houses for less than €200 a month (the lowest daft lets you put in): http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct3&s%5Ba_id%5D=&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=200&s%5Broom_type%5D=either&s%5Bpt_id%5D=&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=sharing&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=sharing

Faith wrote: »
    You probably won't get a nice place, but as the others have said, here's a bunch of student houses for less than €200 a month (the lowest daft lets you put in): http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct3&s%5Ba_id%5D=&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=200&s%5Broom_type%5D=either&s%5Bpt_id%5D=&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=sharing&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=sharing

Thank you Faith, much appreciated. I'm an old campaigner, more than happy to rough it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

theres a lovely bench on south mall wont cost ya much -be wide of the winos though.

• Advertisement

mean gene wrote: »
    theres a lovely bench on south mall wont cost ya much -be wide of the winos though.

I wouldn't feel right sleeping on the same spot where you were conceived Gene, thanks all the same. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Parchment Square on model farm rd, near CIT.
    http://www.parchmentsquarecork.com/summeraccom.htm

Can't see the price on the site but saw a sign for there before & I think it's €40 a week during the summer.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Parchment Square on model farm rd, near CIT.
    http://www.parchmentsquarecork.com/summeraccom.htm

Can't see the price on the site but saw a sign for there before & I think it's €40 a week during the summer.

Thanks chief, much appreciated. I don't think they have Summer accommodation available as per the website but will e-mail to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

silentrust wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel right sleeping on the same spot where you were conceived Gene, thanks all the same. :-D

Something tells me youll fit in fine in the real capital.

.red. wrote: »
    Something tells me youll fit in fine in the real capital.

Glad to see you Corkonians like the Dubliners appreciate a good burn. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

You're right, I've heard nothing but good things! It's with Apple, but I imagine you have fairly good public transport for getting around the City?

It's not brilliant - do you know which Apple facility you'll be in?

One is city centre the other, main campus, is a far bit out and up (top of the city) it is reasonably served with public transport - they have a new stop and everything near the new loop around the city built for them.

evilivor wrote: »
    It's not brilliant - do you know which Apple facility you'll be in?

One is city centre the other, main campus, is a far bit out and up (top of the city) it is reasonably served with public transport - they have a new stop and everything near the new loop around the city built for them.

Not yet, fingers crossed it won't be too inaccessible. I do know we may be asked to work early morning/late evening when buses may not be running but I daresay a walk up the hill won't kill you, although it might leave you a bit out of puff? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Not yet, fingers crossed it won't be too inaccessible. I do know we may be asked to work early morning/late evening when buses may not be running but I daresay a walk up the hill won't kill you, although it might leave you a bit out of puff? :-)

I've never walked up there - but it can be a bit of a lungbuster on a bike in the lower reaches - I try and do it regular to improve my strength - it's a lovely trip down though.

evilivor wrote: »
    I've never walked up there - but it can be a bit of a lungbuster on a bike in the lower reaches - I try and do it regular to improve my strength - it's a lovely trip down though.

Sort of like hitting yourself over the head with a hammer - it feels so lovely when you stop?

I think the 202 bus route also goes up there too, so hopefully all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Ask Apple about transport for early and late shifts. I know a few places put on private buses that take people about when there's no public transport. Blizzard definitely did it and I think Apple have done it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Sleep in the gutter its cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think buses go to hollyhill? You would need car/public transport. Would you cycle just get your bearings? Easy walk on foot in city but lot of one ways and different lanes in city.

Take taxi or lift or bus if you can or find a place to stay walking distance of apple until you find a place more permanent. Taxis can be pricy in heavy traffic or delays. Hostels might do good rates and ucc student accommodation be best bet for the summer cost wise.

Try have temp accommodation or b and b if you can lined up before july. Look up daft.ie when looking for a place more permanent. You might have to go out of city for a nice place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

You could go to penny dinners for your meals and use the money you'll save to increase your accommodation budget: http://www.corkpennydinners.ie
    They'll even give you sandwiches and fruit to take away. All types go there including college student, unemployed, low income and homeless.
    Regarding accommodation, I was in a similar position to you a few years back. Called about a few rooms in student houses that were vacant for the summer. The houses were complete **** holes but I didn't have to pay any deposit and moved out as soon as I received my first months pay.

becost wrote: »
    You could go to penny dinners for your meals and use the money you'll save to increase your accommodation budget: http://www.corkpennydinners.ie
    They'll even give you sandwiches and fruit to take away. All types go there including college student, unemployed, low income and homeless.
    Regarding accommodation, I was in a similar position to you a few years back. Called about a few rooms in student houses that were vacant for the summer. The houses were complete **** holes but I didn't have to pay any deposit and moved out as soon as I received my first months pay.

Very useful becost, thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

202 services Apple - it stops right outside and is quite frequent during business hours - normally 4-5 services an hour.

It's a 30 minute trek from the city centre and great exercise, as it's pretty much located at the top of the Northside. There's plenty of accommodation in Cork at the set price, not the most desirable of places but they'll serve a purpose. Speak with the HR people in Apple, they deal with organising accommodation for a lot of their international staff members so there shouldn't be a bother. They may even put you in contact with Apple staff that live close to the facility.

I'm from the area myself, and worked with Apple so if you have any questions then work away. Congratulations on the new job also.

Advertisement