Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a clutch replacement kit?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

i would imagine, one contains clutch friction plates only, and the other kit contains clutch friction plates and the metal plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

As said above,the dear one contains plain and friction plates as well as clutch springs it seems,the cheap one is for friction plates only.

You sure the clutch is goosed completely? And it's not just that there is no freeplay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is there many miles on your bike?
    Friction plates alone will be fine if the miles aren't massive.
    Soak them in oil overnight before you replace them.
    I usually cut the pack close to the cardboard and just fill the blister with oil to soak them.
    However if the bike has a lot of miles on it check the driven plates for wear/blueing which could mean they need to be replaced as well.
    When you have the clutch basket off check the fingers aren't notched where the friction plates contact the fingers, if they are then a light filing can make the clutch smooth like butter again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

There is about 40k miles on my bike.

The biggest problem is that the clutch is not disengaging when I pull the lever. I adjusted it to a point where there is no free play on the lever (extreme) and pulled the clutch lever in all the way. Result is that it is still engaged. I can't stop the back wheel from moving with my foot and I find it impossible to get into neutral.

I have the clutch out of the bike now. Horrible odd burnt smell from it. Is this normal? Probably since it's a clutch? Besides that I can't see any unusual scraping or warped plates.

I'm going to upload a video to youtube showing you all the parts. I've no experience with this so maybe these plates do look knackered.

YouTube video I just made:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Quick question, what engine oil did you use? Car oil or bike specific oil? Car oil can cause clutch slip

It was serviced at a garage before I bought it. The clutch isn't actually slipping. It's just not disengaging even with the clutch pin fully pushed into the basket.

Also when I'm pulling away in 1st gear it was severely judder.

Just noticed that the rings that compress are actually warn into the metal plate. I don't think there should be a severe groove in any of the plates. This plate is has a 1mm groove cut into it from the tiny compression ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That clutch looks fine to me, I'd say either you have a cable problem or the arm that moves the pushrod in the centre of the clutch is not fitted correctly.
    The friction plates are a little worn but the driven ones are fine.
    Since you have it apart replace the friction plates, are the springs in spec for length?
    You could always move the arm back a notch so it pulls more.

I ordered new friction plates and springs. I haven't got a manual for the Honda Deauville so I couldn't measure. I should have checked somehow to see if the clutch cable was pulling that arm all the way so that the bolt goes right into the clutch basket. The problem might actually just be in the cable and that arm or the springs even.

It's my first kind of project bike so I don't mind learning as I'm going with this. I bought it knowing it had clutch issues, bad tyres and center stand about to break.

Advertisement