Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flight operator obligations

Options
  • 13-06-2013 1:38pm

Hiya,

My OH should be enroute home but due to fog on his first flight this morning, he missed the connecting flight to Knock. All his flights are with FlyBe.

They offered him an overnight stay in Edinburgh but the next flight to Knock is next Tuesday and he needs to be home for tomorrow morning. So, they have put him on a flight to Inverness where he is waiting at present, he will then be put on a flight to Manchester and then a flight to Belfast. He should arrive there about 9pm.

My question is - are FlyBe obliged to bring him to his final destination (Knock)?

I would look online myself my little mobile phone doesn't like non-mobile websites so I thought I would enquire here first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

http://www.eccireland.ie/topic.php?topic=1#subtopic_44
    Regulation [EC] No. 261/2004 stipulates that in the event of a flight cancellation you should be given a choice between rerouting to your final destination or a refund for the part, or parts, of the journey cancelled or not completed due to the cancellation.

If you choose rerouting instead of a refund, the air carrier should offer you an alternative flight to your final destination at the earliest opportunity, or at a later date of your choice subject to the availability of seats. If the air carrier offers you a flight to an alternative airport in the region, the air carrier must bear the cost of transferring you from that alternative airport to the one in your reservation or to another close-by destination agreed with you.

If you are already at the airport when your flight is cancelled, you should receive adequate care from the air carrier which in such case is required to provide you with the following free of charge:

• Meals and refreshments in reasonable relation to the waiting time

• Hotel accommodation where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary

• Transport between the airport and the place of accommodation

• Two telephone calls, faxes or emails

Of course, trying to get FlyBe's ground handling people to deal with that in Belfast may be difficult. It may have to be arranged by himself and claimed back later.

Thanks Buffy :)

Inverness is a tiny airport and the lady at info desk rolled out the "act of god" spiel telling him they were not liable. He has a good few hours to kill before his flight to Manchester so gonna tell him to get something sorted. Costs me a fortune to drive to Belfast.

Sorted. Taxi will be waiting for him at Belfast Airport to bring him home.

I copied above regulation into a text, OH showed it to info desk, also told them that his job was on the line as he was meant to be attending a meeting today, and if he lost his job, he wouldn't need to use FlyBe for 4+ flights every 6 weeks.

So thank you BuffyBot for your help :)

Advertisement