Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Economics!!!! :O

Options
  • 13-06-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I hate this subject so much. (well not really the subject, its just my teacher is horrible. I don't really HATE teachers, like sometimes they're bad at teaching but I wouldn't hate them, but this teacher is such a horrible person and she sucks at teaching :/)

Has anyone any predication's for tomorrow (I don't think its really a subject you can predict though...)

Any resources online you're using to study?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

I don't have any predictions no, but I'm planning on covering the whole book skim/scam, I'm getting up at 6 a.m tomorrow to do a good bit of study. Heres a few sections which might come up

-Reproductive System [if you do science, a bonus there]
    -Consumer section [business great help there]
    - Textiles
    - Budget

If you want to do well and you're under time-pressure, do exam questions and try as cover as many chapters as possible.
    Goodluck, I'm sure you'll do great with this exam, my fellow boardsie and let us know how you got on!

-Cfc.forever

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

I don't have any predictions no, but I'm planning on covering the whole book skim/scam, I'm getting up at 6 a.m tomorrow to do a good bit of study. Heres a few sections which might come up

-Reproductive System [if you do science, a bonus there]
    -Consumer section [business great help there]
    - Textiles
    - Budget

If you want to do well and you're under time-pressure, do exam questions and try as cover as many chapters as possible.
    Goodluck, I'm sure you'll do great with this exam, my fellow boardsie and let us know how you got on!

-Cfc.forever

Thank you! I am getting up at 6am too but I am dedicating most of my time to German because I want to get a good grade in that, and I have no intentions of continuing Home E past JC level!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kaylee101

How do you answer the question on designing a garment and care label?
    Also,how do plan a household budget as i dont do business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

kaylee101 wrote: »
    How do you answer the question on designing a garment and care label?
    Also,how do plan a household budget as i dont do business?

For the budget..
    1. List all sources of income, include child benefit and social welfare
    2. List all your expenses, include regular expenses and irregular expenses
    3. Allocate a percentage of income to each expenses listed e.g. food 25%, housing 45% etc
    4. A savings element is essential in order to provide for emergencies and luxury items
    5. Evaluate the budget to check if you allowed enough for each expense and savings. Do you need cutbacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kaylee101

Pwee2029 wrote: »
    For the budget..
    1. List all sources of income, include child benefit and social welfare
    2. List all your expenses, include regular expenses and irregular expenses
    3. Allocate a percentage of income to each expenses listed e.g. food 25%, housing 45% etc
    4. A savings element is essential in order to provide for emergencies and luxury items
    5. Evaluate the budget to check if you allowed enough for each expense and savings. Do you need cutbacks?

Thank you! Do you put it in a table form or can you just write it out?

• Advertisement

kaylee101 wrote: »
    Thank you! Do you put it in a table form or can you just write it out?

Write it out like i did

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

What are the most important things to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 juniors

Ugh I hate home ec pointless useless subject im leaving early couldnt care less about it ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

My teacher is crap:mad:, we basically only did cooking over the past three years. I know I aced my cookery and childcare, so would that be 50% in the bag? We hardly covered any material for the JC... I had to buy a revise wise book for the mocks and spent an entire day cramming, I came out with 67%.

So boardsies... any tips on how to answer the long questions? What's the most important material to know in Home Eco? and any predictions? Any help will be appriciated! :)

I got As on all class tests and summer/christmas tests ... the mocks was a big let down to me. Please help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Drift_King_33

My teacher is crap:mad:, we basically only did cooking over the past three years. I know I aced my cookery and childcare, so would that be 50% in the bag? We hardly covered any material for the JC... I had to buy a revise wise book for the mocks and spent an entire day cramming, I came out with 67%.

So boardsies... any tips on how to answer the long questions? What's the most important material to know in Home Eco? and any predictions? Any help will be appriciated! :)

I got As on all class tests and summer/christmas tests ... the mocks was a big let down to me. Please help! :)

Learn off the compositions of the foods and functions for Q1
    Q3 should be easy enough because it's common sense
    Q6 is textiles which also quite easy and straight forward once you learn basics of it..

Then your final question is up to you not great but hope it helps ;):)

• Advertisement

Learn off the compositions of the foods and functions for Q1
    Q3 should be easy enough because it's common sense
    Q6 is textiles which also quite easy and straight forward once you learn basics of it..

Then your final question is up to you not great but hope it helps ;):)
    Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Someone said eggs might come up but thats not my words! Em learn these definitions

Baking blind
    Glaze
    Roux
    Bias
    Selfage
    Warp
    Weft
    Bias
    Emphasis
    Nap
    Proportion
    Haute couture
    Pret a porter
    Table d'hote
    A la carte
    The work triangle

Consumer association of ireland and national consumer agency

Functions of all vitimans

Learn the production of cotton flax linen and wool

Reasons for uneven stitches, broken thread, looped stitches, broken needle

Ask me if you have any questions, home ec is one of my good subjects! :)

No problem :) Also for textiles know how each natural fabric is made :)

sotisme wrote: »
    Someone said eggs might come up but thats not my words! Em learn these definitions

Baking blind
    Glaze
    Roux
    Bias
    Selfage
    Warp
    Weft
    Bias
    Emphasis
    Nap
    Proportion
    Haute couture
    Pret a porter
    Table d'hote
    A la carte
    The work triangle

Can you give me the definitions of all them words you listed? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Azzaface

Practice short questions and learn a few off, alot usually repeat themselves, you need to do good in short questions for a high grade, for short questions look at stitches, symbols and diagrams in your book, and learn how to label the diagrams eg. wheat or egg structure, ect.:)

For long questions look at the marking scheme, do some and then correct them with the marking scheme, if you get the general idea what the examiners are looking for you'll do well. Looking at the marking scheme is important! In questions 6, fibres haven't have come up in a while eg, cotton and wool so if your really stuck for q6 just learn them, bit risky though just to do that though!

For your long question answers write mainly in point format, it will only annoy examiners if you dont! And write down as much as you can think of!, If you do business the consumer studies question might be ideal and if you do science revise the systems like the heart ect. They can come up.
    Hope I helped :) Good Luck tomorrow!

Azzaface wrote: »
    Practice short questions and learn a few off, alot usually repeat themselves, you need to do good in short questions for a high grade, for short questions look at stitches, symbols and diagrams in your book, and learn how to label the diagrams eg. wheat or egg structure, ect.:)

For long questions look at the marking scheme, do some and then correct them with the marking scheme, if you get the general idea what the examiners are looking for you'll do well. Looking at the marking scheme is important! In questions 6, fibres haven't have come up in a while eg, cotton and wool so if your really stuck for q6 just learn them, bit risky though just to do that though!

For your long question answers write mainly in point format, it will only annoy examiners if you dont! And write down as much as you can think of!, If you do business the consumer studies question might be ideal and if you do science revise the systems like the heart ect. They can come up.
    Hope I helped :) Good Luck tomorrow!

How much is the project and cookery worth together? 50%?

Yeah! I dont know the definitions i wrote down, theyre all the ones i got wrong in my mocks and class tests! But ill try make a list later if i get a chance!

yup. :)

If the project + cookery is worth 50% ... then I only need to get about half of the exam right? XD I did superb on my cookery and project so I think I got 40-50% :D.

• Advertisement

If the project + cookery is worth 50% ... then I only need to get about half of the exam right? XD I did superb on my cookery and project so I think I got 40-50% :D.

If you did well in them now is your chance to get your A :)

Hey,
    What are the main things to cover for Home Ec and what parts are most likely to come up?

Baking blind
    Glaze
    Roux
    Bias
    Selfage
    Warp
    Weft
    Bias
    Emphasis
    Nap
    Proportion
    Haute couture
    Pret a porter
    Table d'hote
    A la carte
    The work triangle

I think they only come up in the short questions? My teacher advised us not to do the long question on textile studies as no one ever does good in that.. must we do 4 out of 6 questions?

Well if you do business, go over the consumer studies section. It's pretty straightforward. The first long question is always about evaluating the label thingy, that's quite easy as the composition is given to you, all you need to do is copy the figures down and add some knowledge about it from your studies e.g. this soup contains 3.4g of fat which is unhealty as the RDA is blah blah blah etc also say explain the functions of fat and diseases related to it. That could get you full marks in that question. A system comes up so go over the body section. Again it is easy if you do science

Baking blind
    Glaze
    Roux
    Bias
    Selfage
    Warp
    Weft
    Bias
    Emphasis
    Nap
    Proportion
    Haute couture
    Pret a porter
    Table d'hote
    A la carte
    The work triangle

Is that all we need to know or is there more ;)

Is that all we need to know or is there more ;)

A LOT more unfortunately!

A LOT more unfortunately!

Awh :( Is there any stuff thats guaranteed to come up?

Awh :( Is there any stuff thats guaranteed to come up?

nutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Do the definitions as advised earlier.
    Revise the symbols in consumer studies as well - they'll be there in the book somewhere -
    And defo know the different kind of embroidery stitches and maybe common faults on the sewing machine - why threads break that kinda thing
    In the long questions, question 1 nearly always has a chart or label and you'll be asked questions on that - usually the nutritive value. For this, write out the following
    Protein - state info from the chart, say if its 1st or 2nd class (1st class always comes animal foods 2 nd class from cereals/fruit n veg) and state the function of protein (growth and repair)
    Carbohydrate - state info from chart. Break into sugar, starch and fibre. Give function of these. If not there say that the food is lacking in xxx which is needed for xxxx.
    Fat - state info from the chart. Say whether its saturated (meat, milk, cheese etc) or unsaturated ( fish, fruit n veg, cereals ) and give function - heat and energy.
    Vitamins - say which vits are there and give function and say what is missing and give function.
    Repeat for minerals
    Personally I wouldn't bother learning off composition tables at this stage - you'll only confuse yourself
    For consumer studies, go over the laws and maybe letter of complaint (which you might know fom business or English)
    If the lungs/ heart/teeth etc come up, use what you know from science.

A lot of it is common sense tbh so just explain everything in your own words and give lots of examples.
    Answer all the questions and the corrector will pick your best ones.
    Hth good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Azzaface

Hey,
    What are the main things to cover for Home Ec and what parts are most likely to come up?

Nutrition (food) and sewing section, a system eg, the heart/lungs or something will probably come up (everything you do in science :) ) thats 3 of the long questions if it helps :)
    If you do business your okay for consumer q's which is usuallly another long question :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 xxDianaxx

Does anyone know what chapters I should learn? :pac:

Advertisement