Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High viewing spots over Dublin city

Options
  • 13-06-2013 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

The name escapes me of what this is called, but;

Like the viewing top that's at the top of the Victoria Square shopping center in Belfast, I was wondering if Dublin has any similar viewing spots over the city? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Guinness ?

What happened to Smithfield , never been up it , is it still open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Guinness ?

What happened to Smithfield , never been up it , is it still open ?

Don't think so.

The Blue Light carpark in Rathfarnham :D

Or the Gravity Bar in Guinnesses - although you get to pay whatever they charge for the tour to get in. When it opened it was the highest point in the city centre(ish), not sure if the apartments at Heuston Square have beaten that now - I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Aer Lingus do a decent one. Bit pricy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The new hotel near grand canal dock has a rooftop bar - no idea what the views are like - the marker I think is the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

There's Gravity Bar which is at the end of the Guinness tour. Not sure if you can go up there without doing the tour, but seems only day time or private functions at night.

There's the Marker Hotel which is located in Grand Canal Dock. I haven't been up yet (was at the hotel twice to go up, but first time wasn't open yet and second time was wrong day!), it's open from Thursdays - Saturdays. It would have a pretty sweet view over the quays I'd imagine.

There's also the SIPTU building by Tara Street DART station. It has a viewing doc up the top and is one of the tallest buildings in Dublin, but I think you have to make an appointment to go up. Don't know how much it costs, but call them.

Lastly, there's Google, which IS the tallest building in Dublin, and is around Grand Canal Dock also, but I think you either need to work there or know someone who works there to get access. (their canteen is on the top floor I believe)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

There's also great views of the city to be had if you go out as far as Knocklyon/Firhouse, and head up the hills. Near the HellFire Club and that, you can see the whole city at night, if you are just after a nice view. I used to head up there sometimes when I lived in Hunters Wood. There's a fair share of.....suspect activity happening around there in parked cars however. I wonder is there any scope for a London Eye type thing in Dublin, is our capital city decorated enough to justify installing something similar so that people can take it all in on their trip? I would have thought there'd be something there by now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Very true, around Mount Merrion also. You can see down as far as the quays (the confrence centre in particular as it's usually lit up).

Also another great view of the city, although not exactly up high, is the boat the is permanently docked on the north side of the quays, down by PWC and Citi bank headquarters, it's a bar and restaurant, but on the top deck you can enjoy a nice beer / glass of wine with great views of grand canal dock lit up, the confrence centre, the Samual Becket bridge and you can see down as far as IFSC / Ulster Bank HQ and the spire etc.

At night it's really a fantastic place to see the city from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Top of stephens green shopping centre is pretty good for views of the centre of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Croke Park roof walk?

http://www.skylinecrokepark.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

There is a large roof garden on top of the new Special Criminal Courts on Parkgate street. I am not sure if it is open to only judges & solicitors or the general public also. I'd imagine it can be visited by appointment with the Courts Service or OPW, whoever runs it. I remember Nationwide did a program from the roof top but neglected to mention if the gardens were fully open to the public or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

if you drive to stepaside and walk to the top of tree rock mountain. This is the best view of dublin city Ive ever come accross.
    On top of debenhams on henry street theres a cafe with a decent view over the inner north side of the city.
    Atop of Liberty hall is an amazing view of inner city dublin and beyond, dontknow how to gain access normally but its open all weekend during '
    Open House Dublin 4—6 October 2013 '..

http://www.openhousedublin.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Don't think so.

The Blue Light carpark in Rathfarnham :D

It's in Barnacullia, D18. ;)

Best view of Dublin IMO is from a little further up at the summit of the Three Rock Mountain. Fantastic views of the city, Dublin bay, Wicklow and on a clear, crisp day you can see the outline of the coast of Wales and the mountains of Mourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The top of Killiney Hill also gives a great view over Dublin, easily accessible from the number 59 bus from Dun Laoghaire or if you're feeling energetic, a decent walk from the DART!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Vieew from the top of Liberty Hall
    http://libertytheunion.org/camera/webcam/

THe Guinness Storehouse also had one but it's down for maintenance

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was about to post Liberty Hall too but you all beat me to it! There is a rooftop garden on Chester Beatty Library, you can get a good view over some of the Castle but not too far beyond. The Radisson round the corner also has a rooftop terrace but it might just be for functions, I'm not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Croke Park roof walk?

http://www.skylinecrokepark.ie/

Has anyone done this? At €25 a go it would have to be pretty spectacular :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RATM wrote: »
    There is a large roof garden on top of the new Special Criminal Courts on Parkgate street. I am not sure if it is open to only judges & solicitors or the general public also.
    It's judges only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ticknock Hill for driving. Top of Ilac car park has a good view also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's judges only.

Yeah I had thought I heard that on the Nationwide program but couldn't believe my ears when I realised that members of the public couldn't go up there, despite it being a public building.

The building was built with taxpayers money yet what the top amounts to is a private rooftop garden for our wigged friends, not only have they got a pretty sweet €250k salary they also nabbed the rooftop garden as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Top of the science gallery in trinity has really sweet views.
    You can go up to the top, if questioned say you got lost looking for the jacks which are on the first floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Observatory or the Dump? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RATM wrote: »
    couldn't believe my ears when I realised that members of the public couldn't go up there, despite it being a public building.

The building was built with taxpayers money yet what the top amounts to is a private rooftop garden for our wigged friends
    Áras an Uachtaráin is a public building as well, and there's some amazing grub in the larder, all bought by the taxpayer. Yet they get really uptight if you try to go in and make yourself a sandwich. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Ticknock has the best views over Dublin. This is why most of the radio masts are placed there, because FM frequency is 'line of sight'. The masts were placed to 'see' as much of Dublin as possible.

Howth head gives good views aswell, albeit with greater distance and more sea between Dublin and the viewing spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

coolemon wrote: »
    Ticknock has the best views over Dublin. This is why most of the radio masts are placed there, because FM frequency is 'line of sight'. The masts were placed to 'see' as much of Dublin as possible.

That's the Three Rock Mt (as mentioned earlier) which can be accessed from Ticknock. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

gurramok wrote: »
    Observatory or the Dump? :)

Tip head.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Has anyone done this? At €25 a go it would have to be pretty spectacular :/

I have. It's not worth 25 quid to be honest. Dublin's skyline isn't spectacular and you can get as good a view from the other places mentioned. It's a pity because it's actually a good idea and shows initiative.

Alot of times the guide would point out stuff or there were signs of what is in front of you and you'd have to squint between council flats or have obstructed views of landmarks etc.

The best bit is visiting the stadium itself and looking down at the pitch. I don't know how much the tour of the stadium is alone so it may or may not be worth your while doing the skywalk as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Guinness Storehouse webcam back up.
    http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/weathercam.aspx

looks like it's doing a 360 degree panorama view of Dublin

Advertisement