Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up

Options
  • 13-06-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I am looking to start up a small barber shop, first of all I need to know what i need to register for e.g. trading certificates or any sme that i need to register with.

And secondly does anyone who i could apply to for financial help? looking for small loan or grant around €6000

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You just need to register a business name with the Company Registration Office for RBN1 see www.cro.ie. You also need to register as a sole trader with Revenue by filling out form TR1 www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/forms/formtr1.pdf‎.

You will not be eligible for any grants or soft loans for this type of service business. Banks are very difficult to deal with at the moment but if you have at least the same amount in cash, you existing bank is your best chance. If that does not work out, try family and friends for the loan. I have heard of people getting a “ car loan” from a bank or Credit Union and used it to start their business!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

Thank you peter,

Yeah I am currenlty in the middle of doing a business plan to apply for a loan I have about a 1/4 of the initial loan myself. May try the car loan if that fails thanks for the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tinytank

hi getsome,
    i am currently in the same process in a similar line of work and i recommend you should go to your local social welfare office for some help. they have a development officer who can help you with a start up enterprise.
    for instance if you are currently on/ entitled to job seeker benefit, you can apply to receive the short term enterprise allowance, which means you can receive your jb for the first 6 or 9 months of your business (if you are already on jb you can claim for how ever many months you have left on it).
    Also they have a TAT fund which can be up to the value of 1000e for start up business for things like stock, equipment or insurance ( for this you will need to get 3 quotes )
    Enterprise boards may also offer small loans to start-up business or i personally went with credit union, they are very easy and efficient to deal with.
    other than that, register with revenue, get a business current account with your bank, negotiate hard with your suppliers, there are discounts to be had with salon sales reps if you push them for it, price compare everything and ask them to better it, you will be surprised at what you can save!
    Also websites like selfemployedsupports.ie and citizensinformation.ie are a mine of information for sole traders like us!
    best of luck with your shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭UBERTILT

County Enterprise Board are very approachable.
    Google your nearest one and pick up the phone :)

Advertisement