Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience for TY after the JC

Options
  • 13-06-2013 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

What are you planning on doing for experience? Are you doing something exciting? Are you working for a big company? Are you gonna work for a shop?

You're junior cert results would be a help to getting a placement, for example if you got an A in English/History a library would be inclined to take you on, if you're good at IT, google would take you on.

Personally on my list is Facebook/working in a ministers office.. and I don't know what other one to do. We pick three and do it once a week.

Whats your school like? Have you not decided? What does your daily work involve?

-Cfc.forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Probably going to try and get something to do with engineering/architcture/draughtsmanship and i'll see from there. In my school, you pick one place and work there for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

My school you pick 3 places and there divided up.. You do experience for the whole year, if you want to do something really exciting, like work in google or do mini med, we're allowed take a week off school. For example a girl in my class is doing work experience in germany :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I already have a 2 week placement for architecture. I have two more weeks to slot so I think I might spend one in an art college and one in a physiology course or something. I want work experience where I do more than just get people their coffee and kitkat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

My school's Ty year is always jam-packed so we only get one week of work experience. I might try working in the Medical Centre in town or CUH in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm going to try to work at Google or Microsoft. If that doesn't work, then I will try small companies such as gamestop etc. If that doesn't work, I will try local shops. I should be able to get a decent placement as I already have work experince and my results shouldn't be that bad ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Mary A

ty to me is just a waste of time , I wanna be young in uni :P

Mary A wrote: »
    ty to me is just a waste of time , I wanna be young in uni :P
    Benefits of being young in university? :pac:

Benefits of being young in university? :pac:

well ill finished the course I want to do in uni early and get a job fast , anyways if ur gonna say theres no jobs in Ireland im moving back to London for uni soo yhh really excited :D

Mary A wrote: »
    well ill finished the course I want to do in uni early and get a job fast , anyways if ur gonna say theres no jobs in Ireland im moving back to London for uni soo yhh really excited :D
    I think there's going to be loads of jobs in Ireland in three years. :rolleyes: I'm moving to Canada, New Zealand, Japan or Austriala after university :).

I think there's going to be loads of jobs in Ireland in three years. :rolleyes: I'm moving to Canada, New Zealand, Japan or Austriala after university :).

yhh sure (i) ... cool .. my friend moving to Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Got a summer job out of work experience, minimum wage is liquid gold when you don't earn enough to pay taxes and have no bills. :)

Getting a good w.e. place is hard, some places will purely exploit you as a teamaker, photocopier and shredder. Small places were better for me, it was a bit more involved, but others seemed to do well in big businesses where there was a relative or family friend, or a well-run TY programme.

If you're shy, and academic, I'd recommend doing TY. You really come out of your shell, and even if you hate your year, people really mature by the end, pr*cks turn into sound people. (September's the worst time, as they all become 2x pr*cks, but gradually become really nice people)

Also, teachers become less scary and more human, which is a plus.

Got a summer job out of work experience, minimum wage is liquid gold when you don't earn enough to pay taxes and have no bills. :)

Getting a good w.e. place is hard, some places will purely exploit you as a teamaker, photocopier and shredder. Small places were better for me, it was a bit more involved, but others seemed to do well in big businesses where there was a relative or family friend, or a well-run TY programme.

If you're shy, and academic, I'd recommend doing TY. You really come out of your shell, and even if you hate your year, people really mature by the end, pr*cks turn into sound people. (September's the worst time, as they all become 2x pr*cks, but gradually become really nice people)

Also, teachers become less scary and more human, which is a plus.
    Wow, you make TY sound awesome :pac:. Is there anything that would improve chances of getting a job? Like JC results or previous experince of working etc..

Wow, you make TY sound awesome :pac:. Is there anything that would improve chances of getting a job? Like JC results or previous experince of working etc..

Qualifications, previous experience, portfolio work, working your ass off for free for them for a while all help.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭greenpyjamas

Do ye think I could get some experience in a library or bookshop this summer or next summer? I'm not doing TY but I still want to get some experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Man, the whole ordeal of getting a job is a right pain in the b****cks, I do say.

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Man, the whole ordeal of getting a job is a right pain in the b****cks, I do say.

Don't even know where to start...

Do ye think I could get some experience in a library or bookshop this summer or next summer? I'm not doing TY but I still want to get some experience :)

No one will turn you down in a recession if you will be of benefit to them for free! :D

So long as you're not going to lower the tone, I'm sure they'll leap at the very thought of of you working for free.

No one will turn you down in a recession if you will be of benefit to them for free! :D

So long as you're not going to lower the tone, I'm sure they'll leap at the very thought of of you working for free.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'll ask in one of the bookshops, and see what happens. :) Thanks!

+1 Although, if your parents are good friends with someone who is a manager at a fast food restraunt... it's not that hard :rolleyes:.

+1 Although, if your parents are good friends with someone who is a manager at a fast food restraunt... it's not that hard :rolleyes:.

You seem to have it easy, at times, you know?

• Advertisement

You seem to have it easy, at times, you know?
    "Through sacrafice come good things." :)

"Through sacrafice come good things." :)

I've tried burning thousands of virgins, I got nothing for my great sacrifice.

I've tried burning thousands of virgins, I got nothing for my great sacrifice.
    Odd, how did you know they were virgins? :eek:

Odd, how did you know they were virgins? :eek:

They're always virgins. :cool: ¡Viva el diablo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

I just finished TY in my school, and i was so happy to see the end of it. They have it compulsory in my school and if there was another Irish school around that hadn't got TY i definitely would have moved!

My attendance dropped as everyday going in became a nightmare. Going in to school to empty classes and long boring days where teachers didn't seem to care and i was blown of with the whole " Sure its only 4th year".

But if im completely honest i think my school just made a complete arse of it all. They blew off trips because of funding. Which i found out at the end of the year that ALOT of students hadn't paid for their trips and tours at the start of the year, when i understand money is tight at the moment but i dont think it should be left on others that are willing and able to pay.

My school also gave us the choice of doing a musical, which is ran every year or running a school garden and sort of outdoor education learning about sustainability and things like that. I chose gardening as i wasnt all up for the dancing and singing on a stage. What i didnt know was that 6 weeks in a row trips would be cancelled because the "musical" had to be practiced which ment myself along with other outdoor ed students wore left sitting around watching them practice, even though no ammount of practice in the world would help them!

Theyre mainly the reasons i was put off in TY and didnt enjoy the year. Its all fun for the first few weeks with the change of not doing work all day long, but believe me it gets boring!

EDIT: noticed i just completely ranted about TY :P

For my work experience i had to do 2 weeks charity work and 2 weeks in a career of our own choice.

I got the charity work with my local youth service, which i really did enjoy going out mountain walking and other activities and just generally helping out on drop ins.

My work experience i where i really satisfied myself. I managed to get it up in the Air Corps in Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel through a relative that is high up in the army. I was shown so much while there and even brought out to Dublin Airport one of the day up to Air Traffic Control and also in the radar room where they supervise military airspace around the bases. Like if they have training on the supervisor has to keep all airspace around it clear and i was basically shown what they do in their day to day job and its very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I'm going to try to work at Google or Microsoft. If that doesn't work, then I will try small companies such as gamestop etc. If that doesn't work, I will try local shops. I should be able to get a decent placement as I already have work experince and my results shouldn't be that bad ;).

I'd apply now for Google or Microsoft if you already haven't, I got in contact with Microsoft but unfortunately I'm too far away from Dublin. I also got into Dell but then that was cancelled as the person who offered me the spot was no longer going to be in Dell when I was supposed to have WE.

Don't be out off if something like this happens, always have backups...

So you could apply to local ITs and I'm pretty sure Universities have TY type courses but I don't live near any so I could be wrong.

I myself did a week in a local game studio where I learnt about how to make a game in Javascript through a HTML5 Game Engine which was challenging as I had to program it from scratch but was worthwhile.

The second place was a computer repair shop which I now do a few days of work a week in so that's good too

Troxck wrote: »
    I'd apply now for Google or Microsoft if you already haven't, I got in contact with Microsoft but unfortunately I'm too far away from Dublin. I also got into Dell but then that was cancelled as the person who offered me the spot was no longer going to be in Dell when I was supposed to have WE.

Don't be out off if something like this happens, always have backups...

So you could apply to local ITs and I'm pretty sure Universities have TY type courses but I don't live near any so I could be wrong.

I myself did a week in a local game studio where I learnt about how to make a game in Javascript through a HTML5 Game Engine which was challenging as I had to program it from scratch but was worthwhile.

The second place was a computer repair shop which I now do a few days of work a week in so that's good too

I'm planning to check into Google HQ this July. I don't have any qualifcations yet(JC) but I have previous experince. I hope I would get in XD Better start making my CV soon ;)

I'm planning to check into Google HQ this July. I don't have any qualifcations yet(JC) but I have previous experince. I hope I would get in XD Better start making my CV soon ;)

I hope you do too, it sounds like a brilliant experience. I'm guessing you have previous IT knowledge? With hardware or programming? Put that down, even if it's just the basics of some languages such as C++ or Java. If you're interested in IT have you gone to any CoderDojo sessions? They're really useful

Troxck wrote: »
    I hope you do too, it sounds like a brilliant experience. I'm guessing you have previous IT knowledge? With hardware or programming? Put that down, even if it's just the basics of some languages such as C++ or Java. If you're interested in IT have you gone to any CoderDojo sessions? They're really useful
    I don't have any coding experince but I have experince with Microsoft and Adobe programms like Photoshop and Word obviously and I know how to web design as I have created three websites and in progress of another one this summer XD. I'm planning to start coding this summer, but my laptop will explode if I try anything like that. Might look into CoderDojo when I get a new laptop to work with.

• Advertisement

I don't have any coding experince but I have experince with Microsoft and Adobe programms like Photoshop and Word obviously and I know how to web design as I have created three websites and in progress of another one this summer XD. I'm planning to start coding this summer, but my laptop will explode if I try anything like that. Might look into CoderDojo when I get a new laptop to work with.

Programming won't kill your laptop tbh... You can use Notepad and then just download a compiler but that's just a waste of time. I'd start off with HTML5 and download Notepad++ to write it, just remember to save the files as .html Spend a week or two at that and you'd be pretty good. Then move on to C#, C++ or Java, up to you and after that you'd have a brilliant grounding

Advertisement