Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Berini M21 restoration

• 13-06-2013 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I have a 1960 Berini M21 Autocycle which I will be restoring in the coming months. I've never restored a motorbike before and have some questions which you guys may be able to answer for me -

Wheels - Is is expensive to have motorbike wheels made up/re-spoked?
    I have come across a seller on ebay who can supply new chrome wheel rims (which seem to be sold in flat lengths, as opposed to already welded into a circle?)

Sandblasting - Anybody here ever have a motorbike frame sandblasted and re-sprayed? If so, is there any experienced motorbike restorer in the Leinster area who could do this for me?

Engine - Can you guys recommend a good motorbike mechanic in the Leinster area who could assess my Berini engine? (and re-bore it, fit new piston, etc if necessary)

Attached is a pic of a restored Berini in Holland -
    (i.e. what I want my Berini to look like in due course! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Silvera wrote: »
    I have a 1960 Berini M21 Autocycle which I will be restoring in the coming months. I've never restored a motorbike before and have some questions which you guys may be able to answer for me -

Wheels - Is is expensive to have motorbike wheels made up/re-spoked?
    I have come across a seller on ebay who can supply new chrome wheel rims (which seem to be sold in flat lengths, as opposed to already welded into a circle?)

Sandblasting - Anybody here ever have a motorbike frame sandblasted and re-sprayed? If so, is there any experienced motorbike restorer in the Leinster area who could do this for me?

Engine - Can you guys recommend a good motorbike mechanic in the Leinster area who could assess my Berini engine? (and re-bore it, fit new piston, etc if necessary)

Attached is a pic of a restored Berini in Holland -
    (i.e. what I want my Berini to look like in due course! :)
    Central wheel components in the UK are good for wheel parts.
    Wheels can get expensive fast.

Sandblasting is pretty harsh on vintage bike, look into soda or vapour blasting instead.
    You need to make sure that all the bolt holes are blanked off before blasting.
    and oil galleries if any are well protected.

Have you seen this guys blog? it might be worth contactinghim to pick his brains?
    http://www.irishmodified.com/berini/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Trevor at www.Classicmotorcycles.ie is your man, near Greystones, wicklow, he has a wheel builder and paint and engine work is done in house.
    But.. This sort of work is not cheap and can quickly mount up. Why not think about doing this yourself, it's not a complicated machine and IMO would be a good starter project.
    The lad CJ has posted the link to would probably be happy to help. Wheel building can be farmed out as can major engine work (see above)
    But you can do a lot yourself, paint stripper works well, sand down after an d unless its very rusty it's ready for paint, with a small job like this I've seen nice work with aerosols for instance.
    Anyhoo, best of luck whatever way you go, but there is huge satisfaction in doing as much as possible yourself..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thanks for the info guys!

CJHaughey - I will look up the UK company. I kinda suspected that new wheels would be pricey alright. I am looking at Dutch sites also for parts...maybe I will get a good deal on wheels there?! I have contacted the guy in your link...he said he will get back to me when he gets a chance to sit down and type up a detailed email. Cheers!

Zoo4m8 - Many thanks for the Irish link...I have emailed some questions to him. My plan is to do a lot of the restoration work myself. It's just jobs like new wheels, engine re-boring, soda blasting, etc that I wish to farm out. I plan on doing a high-quality restoration incl two-pack paint, etc. I know what you mean about satisfaction in doing most of the work yourself...I restored a Beetle many moons ago and recall the great feeling when it all finally came together :) Thanks for your help!

Has anybody here restored a moped/motorcycle?

Any info re re-chroming, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, I sold off a DT175 lately as the cost of wheels + exhaust was more than 50% of the bike..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Silvera wrote: »
    Has anybody here restored a moped/motorcycle?

Any info re re-chroming, etc?

I've done a number of machines and have just made a start on the latest money pit:) chroming is the big problem, I have had it done in a place in Dublin and it was rubbish, it's difficult getting a decent job done here (unless someone out there knows different) my last job went to the uk as most car and bike men seem to do now, in fact there is a well know restoration in Tipp where the owner put all his parts in the car and drove to an outfit in Dorset to get it nickled and then drove back for it.
    It's also very pricey and as the post above suggests can be well over what the bike is worth.

I've since made contact with a company in Holland who can build new wheels for my Berini (I supply my old hubs) for c.€100 each. Not too bad considering the cost of re-chroming. White-wall tyres (incl tube and liner) = €55 each.

Now if I could only find a trucker, or holiday-maker heading to Holland to bring my hubs over (and the new wheels back) ?! :D

I dont mind spending reasonable money on this bike as it belonged to my late grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PjLaffey

can any one tell where the bottom of speedo cable on BERINI M21 is connected to as it was only connected to speedo clock when I got it Thans P.J

PjLaffey wrote: »
    can any one tell where the bottom of speedo cable on BERINI M21 is connected to as it was only connected to speedo clock when I got it Thans P.J

Hi P.J.,
    The bottom of the cable goes into a mechanism in the centre of the front wheel, at the end of the centre shaft. It should be plain to see unless it's missing from your M21.

What condition is your Berini in?
    Have you owned it for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PjLaffey

HI to answer your question I got my M21 from a period georgian house I asked the owner for it and he said show me when its done up which I did . Its a 1958 and came out very well. what is the value of the m21 in restored condition. Thanks for answer on speedo cable Rgds P.J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

PjLaffey wrote: »
    what is the value of the m21 in restored condition.
    Price guideline?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/other-motorbikes-scooters/berini-m21-1956-rare-/1027757530

Advertisement