Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland fees

Options
  • 13-06-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Current Fee Structures
    Pay As You Go
    28c per transaction
    OR
    Flat Fee
    €11.40 per quarter for up to
    90 transactions and 28c each
    for transactions over 90
    -
    -
    -
    New Fee Structure from 19th August 2013
    Free Contactless payments until 18th August 2014
    -
    20c for Automated Transactions e.g. Visa Debit card, ATM,direct debits/standing orders and 365 phone/online and Mobile Banking transfers
    -
    40c for Paper/Staff Assisted e.g. Cheque/paper lodgements and withdrawals over the counter using paper or Visa Debit card
    -
    A maintenance fee of €5 per quarter

Simpler and more transparent say Bank of Ireland
    From 19th August 2013, we’re introducing a simple and transparent fee structure for your Personal Current Account replacing our existing fee options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭sean200

Bank off ireland have being over charging me on banking fees since last october
    I signed up for the flat fee in october but they forgot to change me over
    I got billed for fees in February and after weeks of ringing them they refunded me
    Last week i got my bill again and yet again they over charged me and forgot to change me over to the flat fee
    Keep an eye on you fees as Bank of ireland as they are trying there best to rip me off

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Sean200, how did you elect for the flat fee? Been a customer for years but was never offered the choice....as far as I'm aware but I may have just missed the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

sean200 wrote: »
    Bank off ireland have being over charging me on banking fees since last october
    I signed up for the flat fee in october but they forgot to change me over
    I got billed for fees in February and after weeks of ringing them they refunded me
    Last week i got my bill again and yet again they over charged me and forgot to change me over to the flat fee
    Keep an eye on you fees as Bank of ireland as they are trying there best to rip me off

Would you consider leaving them as result of such treatment?
    They seem to rely on the fact that we will go on forums like this and complain but not take our business away.
    If you felt a shop or pub was trying to rip you off then you wouldn't continue to give them your business

I found changing current accounts was easy and painless;
    a few minutes of my time and a more productive use of my time than complaining (which I did)

PTSB offer free current account f you lodge at least €1500 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Free contactless is the only real benefit here. I use contactless in preference to my credit card when available for time reasons. Otherwise use credit card and pay it once a month and withdraw much larger amounts at the atm than before so will likely end up paying more now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Here are some ways you can keep fees at a minimum or avoid them altogether.
    Keep €3,000 in your personal current account
    You don’t pay quarterly transaction fees if you keep a minimum of €3,000 in your Personal Current Account at all times. However you will still pay the €5 quarterly maintenance fee. Please note that we don’t pay credit interest on your current account balance and you may be missing out on potential interest by keeping a balance of €3,000 in your current account.

Link of the e-mail from Bank of Ireland - http://media.boimail.com/lp/link.aspx?elid=385651&ctid=30ba30ab45f690b9ffca3f59d20b7aba.

I still received it, even though I had moved bank already. Thanks, but I would prefer not to pay transaction fees or maintenance fees to access my money, thank you.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Free contactless is the only real benefit here. I use contactless in preference to my credit card when available for time reasons. Otherwise use credit card and pay it once a month and withdraw much larger amounts at the atm than before so will likely end up paying more now

Again if its an issue for you would you consider changing provider?

(Presumably it is an issue for any of us that take the time to come on here and comment on the matter)

Actions louder than words and all that

macjohn wrote: »
    Again if its an issue for you would you consider changing provider?

(Presumably it is an issue for any of us that take the time to come on here and comment on the matter)

Actions louder than words and all that

Last time I checked, no provider had a better deal or if they did they had horrible limitiations, e.g. being incompetent (Ulster) or limited (Danske - no counter or cash service - I do occasionally need to lodge foreign currency, cheques, etc).

PTSBs offer at the moment seems acceptable, but I need to figure out the opportunity cost of changing, e.g. it is going to require a fair amount of my time to do so, and their branch network is paltry compared to BOI, and I work on the road. Only used my "home" branch for my mortgage application, last three counter transactions I did were in Trim, Tallaght and Cahir - I live in Maynooth! If its worth it I'll go, I don't have loyalty to financial institutions, my five year NCB with five different insurer names on the forms is proof of that.

Last time I checked, no provider had a better deal or if they did they had horrible limitiations, e.g. being incompetent (Ulster) or limited (Danske - no counter or cash service - I do occasionally need to lodge foreign currency, cheques, etc).

PTSBs offer at the moment seems acceptable, but I need to figure out the opportunity cost of changing, e.g. it is going to require a fair amount of my time to do so, and their branch network is paltry compared to BOI, and I work on the road. Only used my "home" branch for my mortgage application, last three counter transactions I did were in Trim, Tallaght and Cahir - I live in Maynooth! If its worth it I'll go, I don't have loyalty to financial institutions, my five year NCB with five different insurer names on the forms is proof of that.

askaboutmoney.com keep an excellent and up-to-minute list of best buys for current accounts

Fair enough Ulster get bad press and yes their systems went down;
    I have a current account with them and have had no problems
    Their conditions have changed so now you need to lodge at least €3000 a month.

Yes PTSB seems the best option at the mo.

Surely being on the road is an argument for changing ? If someone is on a production line all day everyday you can make the argument for using a nearby bank and accepting the costs.
    Lot of branches between Trim, Tallagh, Cahir and Maynooth.

Opportunity costs? - Go in with your documents and it takes 15 to 20 minutes of your time.

I am not having a go, but we all find time to complain so I am saying why not find the time to act
    Complaining rarely makes us feel better; positive action does

If people feel strongly about the B of I changes then act on the feelings, posting here wont save you money, changing bank will

Lot of branches between Trim, Tallagh, Cahir and Maynooth.

Still a fraction of the number BOI have. I cover 32 counties (albeit I suspect I'd have trouble dealing with a BOI NI...) for work so I need to be able to get branches pretty much anywhere, AIB have the closest coverage even after their closures.
    Opportunity costs? - Go in with your documents and it takes 15 to 20 minutes of your time.

The "we'll change all your direct debits" thing simply doesn't work reliably. I know PTSB are advertising that they'll have someone to assist, but its still even more time to tie up the ~15 accounts that I get DDs in or more usually put DDs out to.

I'll wait to see what the first quarter of the new charges amounts to and decide then.

Still a fraction of the number BOI have. I cover 32 counties (albeit I suspect I'd have trouble dealing with a BOI NI...) for work so I need to be able to get branches pretty much anywhere, AIB have the closest coverage even after their closures.

The "we'll change all your direct debits" thing simply doesn't work reliably. I know PTSB are advertising that they'll have someone to assist, but its still even more time to tie up the ~15 accounts that I get DDs in or more usually put DDs out to.

I'll wait to see what the first quarter of the new charges amounts to and decide then.

Yes, they have less branches (dont think its worth changing to AIB, similar charges)
    But again if you cover the 26 counties you will never be a million mils away from a branch

The "we'll change all your direct debits" thing simply doesn't work reliably. .

Do you have evidence for this or is it just the standard Irish line we all use to avoid action???

I changed (ulster) no problem with the direct debits - ie money going out

Sister changed - no problems (ptsb)
    Her husband changed - no problems (ptsb)

Anyone paying you money then yes you will have to give them the new details - Ulster offered to do it for me - so they can set the new details up on their systems. Not a biggie to be fair.

If anyone is are happy to stay with bof i then stay; just pointing out
    I) dont complain :-) 2) know that exact same service free elsewhere for a tiny bit of effort

• Advertisement

Do you have evidence for this or is it just the standard Irish line we all use to avoid action???

Yes, my parents and my brother both changed accounts and only about one third of DDs were changed successfully. Leading to overdue bills, etc, being sent.

Yes, my parents and my brother both changed accounts and only about one third of DDs were changed successfully. Leading to overdue bills, etc, being sent.

Oh ok that would be frustrating alright and put people off changing.  Was any explanation provided/compensation offered?  

As I say thankfully all ours were seamless,  old bank sent copy of list of dds to me and to  the new bank  
    in turn the new bank set them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I switched to TSB and did the switch my self, contacted all my bill providers (most of which could be done via online login) and changed the bank details online or over the phone. Took about an hour, but it beats paying BOI 40 euros in fees every 3 months that's for sure. 

Action taken - satisfaction gained. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I switched to TSB and did the switch my self, contacted all my bill providers (most of which could be done via online login) and changed the bank details online or over the phone. Took about an hour, but it beats paying BOI 40 euros in fees every 3 months that's for sure. 

Action taken - satisfaction gained.
    What documentation do you need to set up a new account with them? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Was thinking recently I should really switch to the flat fee, as I'd make a decent saving. Its way too much as it is, working out at about €120 a year :eek:
    But does this new structure mean that there will be no flat fee any more? That's my reading of the OP & the email i got anyway.

I've setup a 2nd current account with PTSB to try them out. €12 quarterly fee if you dont deposit 1500 every month. So if it became my main current account, it would essentially be free banking due to my salary going in there every month.

beglee wrote: »
    Was thinking recently I should really switch to the flat fee, as I'd make a decent saving. Its way too much as it is, working out at about €120 a year
    But does this new structure mean that there will be no flat fee any more? That's my reading of the OP & the email i got anyway.

I've setup a 2nd current account with PTSB to try them out. €12 quarterly fee if you dont deposit 1500 every month. So if it became my main current account, it would essentially be free banking due to my salary going in there every month.
    To keep it free just transfer 1500 in, and back out again over a 2 day period. that will work. :)

What documentation do you need to set up a new account with them? Thanks.
    Two forms of ID - Passport & Driving License

2 types of proof of address - eg; Utility bill, bank statement (try and have them as recent as possible, i think 6 months is the max)

Proof of PPS number - I gave my Tax Credits form for 2013. I presume a scan of your Social welfare card, or something else would suffice, or any letter from the revenue with your PPS number on it

If you bring these to a branch, I believe they can set you up on the spot, with your VISA card posted in 3-4 days. 

I set all mine up over phone/post, and it took about a week in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cirrus55

I have been a Bank of Ireland customer for over 15 years. But after reading news of these new charges coming in, I will be closing all my accounts with Bank of Ireland. Disgusted ex customer. Hello Permanent TSB

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/rivals-set-to-follow-as-bank-of-ireland-hits-customers-with-raft-of-new-fees-29343738.html

The only way to combat this is to move banks, plain and simple. Setup a TSB account, run your BOI account side by side with it until all your direct debits are moved etc, and once sorted, bank transfer everything over and close your BOI account. Easy peasy.

Ardeehey wrote: »
    Sean200, how did you elect for the flat fee? Been a customer for years but was never offered the choice....as far as I'm aware but I may have just missed the chance!
    You have to ask for it 
    What i have done to reduce my fees is i am using my VISA card which allows free usage and then one a month i pay if off

• Advertisement

Would you consider leaving them as result of such treatment?
    They seem to rely on the fact that we will go on forums like this and complain but not take our business away.
    If you felt a shop or pub was trying to rip you off then you wouldn't continue to give them your business

I found changing current accounts was easy and painless;
    a few minutes of my time and a more productive use of my time than complaining (which I did)

PTSB offer free current account f you lodge at least €1500 a month.
    i have just contacted PTSB

• Registered Users Posts: 16,025 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I changed to PTSB. I went to close my account in boi. They didn't give a flying **** I was changing. Why anyone would pay fees to these robbing shower I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm kinda glad they did this now. I was thinking about setting up a savings account with them. Now I'm just gonna leave, probably to PTSB also. I see no reason why I should pay these extra fees, they are offering me nothing in return for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Link of the e-mail from Bank of Ireland - http://media.boimail.com/lp/link.aspx?elid=385651&ctid=30ba30ab45f690b9ffca3f59d20b7aba.

I still received it, even though I had moved bank already. Thanks, but I would prefer not to pay transaction fees or maintenance fees to access my money, thank you.

I haven't quite got to close my account yet, but never received this notification. I have nothing in my online inbox...strange that they only send it to some people and not all.

In fairness at least they learnt to communicate the changes in a better manner than the farcical way they did when introducing fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi daheff.

Thanks for your post.

We will be communicating the new feestructure to all of our Personal Current Account holders. 
    For customers who wedo not have a valid email address for, we will be sending them a letter by post. We also have other methods of communicating this important message e.g. press advertisement, which will be done in the coming weeks.

We hope this helps clarify things.
    Laura

Hi daheff.

Thanks for your post.

We will be communicating the new feestructure to all of our Personal Current Account holders. 
    For customers who wedo not have a valid email address for, we will be sending them a letter by post. We also have other methods of communicating this important message e.g. press advertisement, which will be done in the coming weeks.

We hope this helps clarify things.
    Laura
    To clarify things the banks that destroy this country and now screwing the Irish people my putting up their fees
    These same banks asked the government to make the post office cut their interest rate they were paying on saving accounts so the bank could ever screw the irish people more
    If you have one ounce of morals at all close your bank account with bank of Ireland today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Sean200, this is a customer service forum not a place for you to vent against Bank of Ireland.

Unless you have a specific customer service query or valid feedback, please do not post again. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Will the flat fee option (€11.40 for 90 transactions) be available under the new pricing structure or will it be per transaction only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi antoobrien,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The new fee structure is replacing the existing fee options so from 19th August 2013 the Flat Fee and Pay as You Go options will no longer be available. You can find information on the new fee structure here.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hi antoobrien,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The new fee structure is replacing the existing fee options so from 19th August 2013 the Flat Fee and Pay as You Go options will no longer be available. You can find information on the new fee structure here.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Tara

just wanted to confirm that the fees were per tx as outlined and that there would be no flat fee structure.

Will there be a full fee schedule outlining how much online tx etc will cost?

Thanks

antoobrien

Advertisement