Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very slow download speeds on eFiber

Options
  • 13-06-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hello, we just got eFiber installed about 2 hours ago, browsing websites seems okay but the download is struggling to get above 50kbps.

We're in the Tallaght area, but, strangely, when I go to speedtest.net the default location is in Limerick and when I use that the speed test flies up to 50mbps, but when I select a Dublin server to run the test it crawls and the upload speed exceeds the download.

Something has been setup wrong, I fear.

I have a download from iRacing.com, a premium service, currently downloading at 0.34kbps. I tested a download from download.com and it is similarly slow.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭swoofer

do you know  how to check the line set up in the modem/router and change your heading to  eircom fibre installed 2 hours ago etc grab their attention,  it takes a little while to settle down and did you ring eircom support?

oops only noticed you posted yesterday!! and no reply eek!

gbc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Go to http://192.168.1.254 enter your wireless key as the password, then go to the system monitor option at the bottom of the page, then to xdsl stats, if you want take a screenshot and post it here or in the fibre rollout thread in the broadband forums, this info shows everything about the connection then we can try to determine what the issue might be. or call broadband support on 1890260260 and have them take a look at the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hello, we just got eFiber installed about 2 hours ago, browsing websites seems okay but the download is struggling to get above 50kbps.

We're in the Tallaght area, but, strangely, when I go to speedtest.net the default location is in Limerick and when I use that the speed test flies up to 50mbps, but when I select a Dublin server to run the test it crawls and the upload speed exceeds the download.

Something has been setup wrong, I fear.

I have a download from iRacing.com, a premium service, currently downloading at 0.34kbps. I tested a download from download.com and it is similarly slow.

thanks in advance.

Hi Christ the Redeemer

Sorry to hear of this.

Please contact broadband support on 1890260260 (option 0) for technical assistance with this issue.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

allen175 wrote: »
    Go to http://192.168.1.254 enter your wireless key as the password, then go to the system monitor option at the bottom of the page, then to xdsl stats, if you want take a screenshot and post it here or in the fibre rollout thread in the broadband forums, this info shows everything about the connection then we can try to determine what the issue might be. or call broadband support on 1890260260 and have them take a look at the connection.

I think this is what you asked for.  It's even slower today. Youtube 300p videos even take ages to load up.
    =======================================================================
        VDSL Training Status:   Showtime
                        Mode:   VDSL2 Annex B
                VDSL Profile:   Profile 17a
                Traffic Type:   PTM Mode
                 Link Uptime:   0 day: 2 hours: 22 minutes
    ============================================================================
           VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
                   Line Rate:     10.298 Mbps       41.055 Mbps
        Actual Net Data Rate:     10.239 Mbps       40.955 Mbps
              Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
                  SNR Margin:        8.2 dB            7.3 dB
                Actual Delay:          7 ms              8 ms
              Transmit Power:        8.6 dBm          13.5 dBm
               Receive Power:       -6.1 dBm          -6.3 dBm
                  Actual INP:        2.0 symbols       3.0 symbols
           Total Attenuation:       14.7 dB           19.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate:     13.068 Mbps       49.100 Mbps
          VDSL Band Status    U0      U1      U2      U3      D1      D2      D3
      Line Attenuation(dB):  7.0    39.1    58.1     N/A    18.3    48.9    75.2   
    Signal Attenuation(dB):  7.0    38.2    56.2     N/A    18.4    49.0     N/A   
            SNR Margin(dB):  8.3     8.2     8.2     N/A     7.3     7.3     N/A   
       Transmit Power(dBm):  0.8     5.9     3.1     N/A    12.0     7.8     N/A   

VDSL Counters

Downstream        Upstream
    Since Link time = 22 min 35 sec
    FEC: 21584 0
    CRC: 0 0
    ES: 0 0
    SES: 0 0
    UAS: 0 0
    LOS: 0 0
    LOF: 0 0
    LOM: 0 0
    Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 11 sec
    FEC: 1074 0
    Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
    FEC: 25 0
    Latest 1 day time = 2 hours 23 min 11 sec
    UAS: 34 34
    Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
    FEC: 0 0
    Total time = 2 hours 23 min 11 sec
    UAS: 34 34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Yeah thats the page, all looks good, you are getting the correct speeds to the modem.

Are you using wireless or cable connection?
    If wireless how far fro the modem are you and do you know how good the wireless card is, like is it wireless b/g/n?

• Advertisement

Were all using wireless, it's the same on all 3 systems in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭swoofer

10.239 Mbps= up       40.955 Mbps =  down  this is your current speeds.  if you check with it wired you should get this result.  where have you the router locoated,  the further you are away and the more barriers = bad speeds.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    10.239 Mbps= up       40.955 Mbps =  down  this is your current speeds.  if you check with it wired you should get this result.  where have you the router locoated,  the further you are away and the more barriers = bad speeds.

My PC is about 3 meters above the modem. There's another in the attic, were both getting pitiful speeds, as is the PC in the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Just going to pop a quick point in here.

Not with Eircom but i was having speed issues on another provider and no matter what was tried i maxed out at 65Mb out of 150

Then one day i disabled my antivirus and ran another test lo and behold full speed.

Some AV software like Avast can slow your speeds down as they scan in real time

Most important though is to get some Cat6 cable and directly connect into the router or invest in homeplugs

The issue appears to have fixed itself! hopefully that's the end of that. Was bloody miserable yesterday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement