Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone?

Options
  • 13-06-2013 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Right likely upgrading phone and giving my iphone 5 to the wife. What alternatives do I have for an upgrade? Now I may well keep my 5 and just get her a 5 as well (she currently has a 4) or I can switch to something else.

Now before I get a blast of Galaxy S4 or whatever is the latest there it's waaaaay to big. The 5 is really the biggest I would go in a phone so I'm looking for something similar or better spec that a 5 but no bigger. Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Spec in what way?

Camera, storage, FM transmitter.....etc, what do you need?

What OS will you use, and not use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Davy wrote: »
    Spec in what way?

Camera, storage, FM transmitter.....etc, what do you need?

What OS will you use, and not use?

OS not fussy. Spec as per iPhone 5 or better. Storage min 16gb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

OS not fussy. Spec as per iPhone 5 or better. Storage min 16gb

What network?

Davy wrote: »
    What network?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Now before I get a blast of Galaxy S4 or whatever is the latest there it's waaaaay to big. The 5 is really the biggest I would go in a phone so I'm looking for something similar or better spec that a 5 but no bigger. Ideas?

There's nothing really out there that's as small as an iPhone with the same specs. S4 is the smaller of the bunch as well vs. Xperia Z and HTC One. They did a fine job cramming a bigger screen into the size of a S3.

You should not think about the size. You get used to it very quick. I can guarantee that.

I got used to my Note 2 in a weeks time. It was actually comfier to hold as it was fatter than the S4.

• Advertisement

There's nothing really out there that's as small as an iPhone with the same specs. S4 is the smaller of the bunch as well vs. Xperia Z and HTC One. They did a fine job cramming a bigger screen into the size of a S3.

You should not think about the size. You get used to it very quick. I can guarantee that.

I got used to my Note 2 in a weeks time. It was actually comfier to hold as it was fatter than the S4.

Yeah I had a good look around and couldn't find anything of similar or better spec than the 5. Was hoping some on here would has spotted something I didn't.

I got a note 2 with work, had it for a month and gave it back to them. Waaaaaaay to big. S4 is a cracking phone as is the HTC 1 but again, both of them are just far too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stick with the iPhone 5, get the mrs an iPhone 5 and sell hers for €300 bucks. An android will do you head in if your used to the crispy ness of iOS. Had an s3 for a few days while iPhone was being repaired and hate it, my sonos nearly became unusable as the app kept crashing and the same for some remote apps I use, for a crashless user experience ios is still leagues ahead of android.

Galaxy S3 out of that bunch by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Stick with the iPhone 5, get the mrs an iPhone 5 and sell hers for €300 bucks. An android will do you head in if your used to the crispy ness of iOS. Had an s3 for a few days while iPhone was being repaired and hate it, my sonos nearly became unusable as the app kept crashing and the same for some remote apps I use, for a crashless user experience ios is still leagues ahead of android.

Not true at all. I have a Nexus 4 and I haven't had 1 crash in 6 months. Maybe Samsung's touchwiz is prone to crashes or you just had a faulty device.

Also the bigger screen is great and I was used to it in 10 minutes.

In fact I wouldn't say iOS is ahead of stock android in any way these days. Note the iOS 7 reveal adding a ton of features that android has had for a long time.
    http://digitaltrends.com/mobile/ios-vs-android/

EGriff wrote: »
    Not true at all.

Oh Yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

As an ex iphone user, Iwouldnt touch em again if you paid me. Android all the way, preferrably via htc one!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stay with the 5. I don't see a particular reason to change it.

Ok thanks for the input folks. Mod's maybe even close this off before we get into a iphone v droid bash thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

OP, Would you consider a nokia lumia 820? Moved to one from galaxy s2, and delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭circadian

tipperary wrote: »
    OP, Would you consider a nokia lumia 820? Moved to one from galaxy s2, and delighted with it.

This or the 925 when it arrives.

Advertisement