Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worming

• 13-06-2013 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

How often do people worm their dogs? Have been reading a little about it, some people say that after a certain age they never do it unless they notice some symptoms, others say every 6 months after puppy-hood.

I wouldn't like to neglect doing it but I wouldn't like to introduce those chemicals to my pups diet every 6 months.

In two minds about this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I currently worm my dogs and cats once every 3 months. That's what's recommended, but like you I don't like the idea of giving them chemicals. Many people now worm less often or when the dog shows symptoms of worms, but I haven't done enough research yet to decide if I want to go down that route. Worms can cause serious illness if they go undetected.

Flea treatments on the other hand - I've stopped giving those monthly (which is what's recommended) and now I only dose them once or twice per summer as a precaution and occasionally during the winter if I think they need it. Fleas are a lot easier to detect than worms. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Have left it about 6 months now but I think I will give her another dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The recommendation once your pet reaches six months of age is to worm every three months. You could worm more, or less often. I stick with every three months, bearing in mind that worming is not a preventative, but simply destroys your pet's existing worm burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Gave our pup half a Zantel Tablet today as recommended on the box and it vomited several times is this normal ? because it says to give half tablet for 3 days, or should I stop using it any advice welcome thanks.

Advertisement