Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie equivalent in UK?

• 13-06-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭

Is there any comparable site for random shíte for the UK? I've googled a couple of things but they come back with a few dozen active people compared with Boards' several thousand active.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I'm clearly psychic. I was just this minute thinking about the same thing. Think boards tried a UK site once, but it didn't take off. I never had any luck finding a similar site myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

gufnork wrote: »
    I'm clearly psychic. I was just this minute thinking about the same thing. Think boards tried a UK site once, but it didn't take off. I never had any luck finding a similar site myself.

Yeah I think this forum is the remnants of that experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Yeah I was really hoping there would be something like Boards over there, as certain tips could be invaluable, plus job links/hints for the UK scene would be most welcome.

Unfortunately as has already been mentioned, there really only seemed to be messageboards for regions, or for specific interests such as football. No 'all-in-one' as we have here.

Maybe the UK is just too big a country, even on Boards there are a huge amount of users and Ireland only has around 5 million people (obviously there are people outside Ireland who use it also but you see what I mean).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

This is from couple of years ago. Better explanation,

"Quote: Alun
    IIRC There used to be a UK boards (boards.org.uk) at one time but it never really took off, and after the big security breach last year, the powers that be decided to close it down. There was a US version as well (boards.us) and that was even less popular.

Yep, the shame was that we were just starting to build up a decently-active community in the London forum on boards.uk when the breach happened It set us back a good bit, but we're back on track more or less now with both the boards.ie UK forum and London forum."

Sorry about not literally linking to the post but my kindle tablet doesn't seem to have that option on the touch site. Our it could just be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

Digitalspy.co.uk has quite a large forum with a busy General Discussion section, but it's primarily 'entertainment and digital TV news discussion'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

SkyscraperCity would probably be in there somewhere. not on the same scale as boards for its various topics but based on transport building and cities i think there is a good selectionin the London section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, I was Admin over on boards.org.uk. It was a great site with a small but decent group of regular contributors. Not enough however to sustain it :(

As has been hinted at most sites tend to be single-issue centric with a few sub-forums for other topics. Bear in mind, that's how boards.ie got started. It was a Quake players forum that became a monster ;)

Great forums I use in the UK include moneysavingexpert, audi-sport.net, bookgrouponline and avforums.

However, I'd still love a site like boards.ie over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

yeah I agree. I spent ages trying to find a similar Boards site but could find none. I think that is a symptom of the country. Everyone is wrapped up in themselves or maybe too busy....:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

There's urban75, London based - quite a few Irish on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Sorry to bring up a very old thread, but found this when I googled the same question. Is there anything similar nowadays? We are considering a move to the UK this year and would love if there's was a site like this thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In my experience it's more likely that you'd find a uk-based forum about some particular topic (cars, paintballing, whatever) that happens to have an After Hours-like section, rather than a catch-all site like boards. Reddit seems to have subreddits for a fair few UK cities, so might be worth checking that out. Alternatively sites like meetup seem to be the way to go if you're wanting to meet people IRL, though Meetup itself doesn't have a particularly good discussion function IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Yep, I was Admin over on boards.org.uk. It was a great site with a small but decent group of regular contributors. Not enough however to sustain it :(

As has been hinted at most sites tend to be single-issue centric with a few sub-forums for other topics. Bear in mind, that's how boards.ie got started. It was a Quake players forum that became a monster ;)

Great forums I use in the UK include moneysavingexpert, audi-sport.net, bookgrouponline and avforums.

However, I'd still love a site like boards.ie over here.

I used to find moneysavingexpert pretty good as a catch all general board when I was living in the UK seven or so years ago. Since most things cost money pretty much everything was relevant or covered somewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

boards.jp was where it was at

Advertisement