Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

small heads up!

• 13-06-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I'm just after realizing something that tbh has me really fooked off. I just bought a 400cc bike four months ago with the intention of putting a restrictor in it and doing the IBT in preperation for a full license test a few months down the line. I was told quite soon after that if I handed in my provisional (paper) license that i would receive an unrestricted A provisional... great news!

That was all fine, I now have a 400cc bike and I don't need to restrict it, excellent. So just this week I was inquiring into doing IBT 1,3 & 5 in prep for the test only to find out that my engine size is too small for doing the IBT for a full unrestricted A license...

I'm literally just after paying off my new bike and now i find out that if I want to do the training and test for the full unrestricted A license I will need to be on a bike with an engine bigger than 595cc... talk about a pain in the hole! I knew that it needed to be a bigger bike for the test but I had no idea it need to be bigger for the IBT.

So this post is basically a heads up to anyone who finds themselves planning on picking up a bike to do the IBT on, make sure it fits the requirements of the training and the test for the license you are looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

dwelby101 wrote: »
    I'm just after realizing something that tbh has me really fooked off. I just bought a 400cc bike four months ago with the intention of putting a restrictor in it and doing the IBT in preperation for a full license test a few months down the line. I was told quite soon after that if I handed in my provisional (paper) license that i would receive an unrestricted A provisional... great news!

That was all fine, I now have a 400cc bike and I don't need to restrict it, excellent. So just this week I was inquiring into doing IBT 1,3 & 5 in prep for the test only to find out that my engine size is too small for doing the IBT for a full unrestricted A license...

I'm literally just after paying off my new bike and now i find out that if I want to do the training and test for the full unrestricted A license I will need to be on a bike with an engine bigger than 595cc... talk about a pain in the hole! I knew that it needed to be a bigger bike for the test but I had no idea it need to be bigger for the IBT.

So this post is basically a heads up to anyone who finds themselves planning on picking up a bike to do the IBT on, make sure it fits the requirements of the training and the test for the license you are looking for.

Can you get a loan of a suitable bike from someone you know? Also allot of driving instructors will hire out bikes for the tests. Send a pm to LookBehindYou he might be able to sort you out if he has any bike available for the date you need it, he is also an instructor if you need IBT or PreTest - might do you a deal with the bike hire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not like this is going to affect too many people and even for those it won't be for long. Best bet is to do your IBT, lessons and test on a school bike then you can keep your 400

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Yeah I could rent a bike to do the test and training but, its gonna cost money that I wouldn't have had to spend had I known that the IBT bike specs should match the test bike specs. Plus is it not better to practice on the bike that you'll be doing the test on? Its just an unwanted annoyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah I could rent a bike to do the test and training but, its gonna cost money that I wouldn't have had to spend had I known that the IBT bike specs should match the test bike specs. Plus is it not better to practice on the bike that you'll be doing the test on? Its just an unwanted annoyance.

In an ideal world yeah the bike you practice on should be the one you do your test on. But only one of our mates had a factory restricted bike and a good few people passed on it.

Why did you assume the regulations for the IBT would be different to the test? The whole point of the new law was to standardise the system across the EU and having a different spec for IBT and the test isn't standardising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So who are you "fooked off" at???

Yourself for not knowing the rules/requirements

OR

The system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭prunudo

Ring around, I don't think it's going to cost you that much more using a school bike, only €70 difference according to the website of a guy around here.

Another problem with these new laws is that some people automatically think that they have to buy/ride a bike over 595cc once the test is passed. You can get whatever bike you want, big or small whatever floats your boat (within license restrictions obviously)

So who are you "fooked off" at???

Well a bit of both really, myself for not researching it enough and the system because of the lack of information available in one place, yeah all of the info is there but you need to look around in different places to get it. It just seems that the system is designed to discourage and confuse people who want to ride... if you compare getting lessons and sitting the test with a car (and yes i know the stakes are higher on a bike so they need to be stricter) the information is straight forward.
    Why did you assume the regulations for the IBT would be different to the test? The whole point of the new law was to standardise the system across the EU and having a different spec for IBT and the test isn't standardising.

I knew the new system was in place to standardise the testing systems but it hadn't occurred to me that the IBT would also be affected. It states quite clearly the bike specs required for the test on the RSA website but it only refers to the IBT in relation to what modules needed to be completed, not the bike specs required to sit the IBT.

It just seems that the RSA are assuming that people already know the requirements, regardless of how obvious they might seem after you find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I think this is gonna be a kick in the balls for me. Im gonna start practicing slow maneuvers and U turns on my 400cc bike & when it comes to the test ill have to do it on a different bike which will have a completely different feel to it. :mad:

I think this is gonna be a kick in the balls for me. Im gonna start practicing slow maneuvers and U turns on my 400cc bike & when it comes to the test ill have to do it on a different bike which will have a completely different feel to it. :mad:

BMW GS650 is a great bike for doing IBT and also for doing the test.....very easy to ride (very rider friendly) and so easy and comfy to do the various slow speed bike skills infront of the tester.

paddy147 wrote: »
    BMW GS650 is a great bike for doing IBT and also for doing the test.....very easy to ride (very rider friendly) and so easy and comfy to do the various slow speed bike skills infront of the tester.

Ah paddy theres not a hope in affording a new bike. I bought the cb400 in April 2012 before the new rules came up.

• Advertisement

Ah paddy theres not a hope in affording a new bike. I bought the cb400 in April 2012 before the new rules came up.

Quite a few IBT instructors and training schools have them to hire out.:)

You can do your test on it too.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Quite a few IBT instructors and training schools have them to hire out.:)

You can do your test on it too.

Thankfully the option is there, unfortunately the cost is too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I got caught in the similar situation, where are you situated?

chrismon wrote: »
    I got caught in the similar situation, where are you situated?

Midlands.

It wont be a problem having a 600cc bike for the test. Im sure lookbehindyou will sort me out there. Its just the fact ill be doing it on a bike im not used to. Sure I haven't even applied for the test yet. I just received my fancy new LP license today in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Midlands.

It wont be a problem having a 600cc bike for the test. Im sure lookbehindyou will sort me out there. Its just the fact ill be doing it on a bike im not used to. .

A couple of sunday spins will sort that out for you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Midlands.

It wont be a problem having a 600cc bike for the test. Im sure lookbehindyou will sort me out there. Its just the fact ill be doing it on a bike im not used to. Sure I haven't even applied for the test yet. I just received my fancy new LP license today in the post.

Joe,

Dont put too much emphasis on doing the test on a different bike. As long as you are on it for a few hours before the test you will be grand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

Give Irish Motorcycle Training a shout. I did my IBT with them and he gave me the use of the school bike for very little.

Really sound bloke - went out of his way to for me so I'm very happy to recommend him http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

TTDublin wrote: »
    Give Irish Motorcycle Training a shout. I did my IBT with them and he gave me the use of the school bike for very little.

Really sound bloke - went out of his way to for me so I'm very happy to recommend him http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com

Is that you Mick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

No,not me.

Advertisement