Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saints Row The Third on PC

• 13-06-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any issues running this game? Is it a badly optimized pc port?

Bought it a few nights ago and played it last night and the temps on gpu went up to 68C when overclocked,Arma 3 max temps with same overclock ar 60C. Surely an "old" game should not be getting those kind of temps. Ive googled a few things but anything that came up said AMD driver issues (i have a 7950) but most posts about it were nearly 2 years old so surely that should be fixed. I wouldnt mind but when the game starts it says optimized by AMD lol

So just wondering is anybody else having this kind of issue,seems like a very fun game the bit i played it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Does it run ok or is it just the temps that are bothering you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It runs ok,its the temps bothering me.

At 60C the gpu fans are just about silent so i decided to just jus bump up the gpu speed enough that the fans stay silent,at 60C they hover around 43% speed and are fairly inaudible. But at 68C the fan speeds go up to 51% and its like a jet engine in the room!
    Id jus like to know if its the game?
    AS i said i play Arma 3,Dayz,Skyrim with high res textures and temps go nowhere near 68C. After playing Skyrim for about 3 hours temps dont go past 58C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ran like a dog for a while, there is a fix for it.

Google it i cant recall it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

That game just squats on the graphics card.
    I remember thinking, "holy crap my GPU is bottlenecking me."

Any other game though and my GPU and CPU run at max :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

EoinHef wrote: »
    So just wondering is anybody else having this kind of issue,seems like a very fun game the bit i played it
    I had fun with it for about 10 minutes, then got bored, the mayhem wasn't my cup of tea. Give me story based mayhem of GTA anyday.

• Advertisement

I tried messing with a few settings with no joy so i re installed the game and hey presto 61C temperatures and it runs a lot smoother and the pc is not about to take off.
    Very weird,never had that happen to me before!

Ye its definitely no GTA but i like the quirkyness of it. The bits ive played so far the missions are kind of just set piece things then you can roam in between missions.
    Havent tried the multiplayer yet,id say its just carnage!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Those temps are fine, regardless don't know what the issue is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Vsync getting turned on and off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

coop is fun in it but its not as good as 2 was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ScumLord wrote: »
    I had fun with it for about 10 minutes, then got bored, the mayhem wasn't my cup of tea. Give me story based mayhem of GTA anyday.

To be honest I prefer it to gta4. Its got all the madness of the original GTA games from the ps1. I felt pestered way too much by the other characters in gta4. Saints row is pick and go as you choose, which is how the first GTA games were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I really enjoyed the game. Lots of fun and I thought the PC port was done well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It's a reasonably good PC port. It should run perfectly fine on a 7950. That's weird that a reinstall fixed all, but good news anyway.
    I thought it was quite a fun game although the co-op could have done with a bit more work. It's a pain when looking at your phone in the game pauses it for the other player. Also, it seems to disconnect easily.
    Multiplayer needs some work, but a good game - very shallow, of course, but fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I picked it up on sale the other day, I'm really enjoying it. I've never played any of the SR series, but yeah, it does remind me a lot of the early GTAs. Good craic.

I've noticed the controls are a bit... Spongy? Is that the word? Not quite as tight as I would like. Anyone else have that issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anybody have any issues running this game? Is it a badly optimized pc port?

Bought it a few nights ago and played it last night and the temps on gpu went up to 68C when overclocked,Arma 3 max temps with same overclock ar 60C. Surely an "old" game should not be getting those kind of temps. Ive googled a few things but anything that came up said AMD driver issues (i have a 7950) but most posts about it were nearly 2 years old so surely that should be fixed. I wouldnt mind but when the game starts it says optimized by AMD lol

I still remember I finished it somedays back with Intel HD Sandy Bridge IGPU, Amd 7950 itself is a beast try changing drivers and it might get done,

And yea the game is surely good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

68C is nothing to worry about for a graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think it was the fact that the fans were very loud which was how he noticed the high temp in the first place.

I bought this in a steam sale after a friend of mine bought it on PS3 and wouldn't shut up about how amazing it was. I couldn't really get into it, I much prefer GTA.

Im puzzled myself how a re install would fixed that either, maybe I missed something but ive had the same overclock on the card for awhile.

Ye it was the fan noise that led me to check the temps and saw they were above normal.

Played for about 3 hrs last night and didnt get any issues, ran very smooth with everything cranked up to max. Its actually a pretty good looking game I think.

I have to say im enjoying it, im a good few hours into and ive no idea what the main story is but the carnage is a laugh

Vojera wrote: »
    I picked it up on sale the other day, I'm really enjoying it. I've never played any of the SR series, but yeah, it does remind me a lot of the early GTAs. Good craic.

I've noticed the controls are a bit... Spongy? Is that the word? Not quite as tight as I would like. Anyone else have that issue?

I have to say I think there ok, I was actually suprised to find it easy enough to shoot people.

I always found shooting awkward in GTA, especially with the sniper, although ive only played GTA on console

Would be nice to zoom the camera out a bit when driving though

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Any of you try the Gentlemen of Steelport super mod?

It adds a few things like unlocking more colour options and different gang members. It also adds Mission Replays (just in case you missed a few achievements or had fun with a particular mission)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I bounced right off SR3. I'm not entirely sure why - best guess is that the quality of the base mechanics didn't match the effort that went into making the game 'wacky' - because I was a huge fan of SR2. Ironically the latter was a shockingly poor port while SR3 ran fine on my machine

• Advertisement

Any of you try the Gentlemen of Steelport super mod?

It adds a few things like unlocking more colour options and differential gang members. It also adds Mission Replays (just in ocase you missed a few achievements or had fun with a particular mission)

I haven tried any mods on it yet but I hear the developer is releaseing a set of tools and documentation to help modders.
    Not quite a full mod kit but hopefully see some good stuff come out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Reekwind wrote: »
    I bounced right off SR3. I'm not entirely sure why - best guess is that the quality of the base mechanics didn't match the effort that went into making the game 'wacky' - because I was a huge fan of SR2. Ironically the latter was a shockingly poor port while SR3 ran fine on my machine

I believe the pc port was in house for Sr3 and outsourced for Sr2

Advertisement