Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currency Exchange Permanent TSB

Options
  • 13-06-2013 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

I went to my local branch a few minutes ago.

I had a small amount of sterling which I wanted euros for. I was told that I'd have to lodge it to my account and that she couldn't just give me cash for it.

My account is slightly overdrawn and I needed cash so I opted against.

Anyone know why and when this rule came in and do any other banks operate this policy?

What if a tourist wanted a currency exchange?

I can't get the cash til tomorrow now as the banks are now closed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 neiljw24

Hi Henlars67

When I worked there 5 years ago we were told to lodge it to the customers account so that if any mistake was made we we would be able to contact the customer.

Mistakes where made,when doing foreign exchange, that positively and negatively affected the customer.

Hope this helps:)
    Henlars67 wrote: »

I had a small amount of sterling which I wanted euros for. I was told that I'd have to lodge it to my account and that she couldn't just give me cash for it.

Anyone know why and when this rule came in and do any other banks operate this policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

Dont tell the bank that you are a customer. Just go to their (or any other banks) FX desk and ask to convert the GBP to EUR.

PTSB just want to get their paws on your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Don't talk sh1te. Banks have their policies. Fx is through accounts only since 08 I think. AIB used to do over counter transactions but have heard recently they changed to account holders only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There are Bureau de Change which cater for this, but the rates are not as good.
    daheff wrote: »
    Dont tell the bank that you are a customer. Just go to their (or any other banks) FX desk and ask to convert the GBP to EUR

But most Bank would only buy currency from customers, so this would not work.

greenman09 wrote: »
    Don't talk sh1te. Banks have their policies. Fx is through accounts only since 08 I think. AIB used to do over counter transactions but have heard recently they changed to account holders only.

Do you have anything to substantiate that claim?
    There are Bureau de Change which cater for this, but the rates are not as good.

But most Bank would only buy currency from customers, so this would not work.

Try BOI they will do it. or PTSB on Baggot st...just bring your passport as they require this for ID purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

daheff wrote:
    Do you have anything to substantiate that claim?
    daheff wrote:

Do you? For someone throwing out randoms claims themselves, perhaps it might be better not to back seat moderate.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Do you? For someone throwing out randoms claims themselves, perhaps it might be better not to back seat moderate.

There is no moderation in my posts. I am challenging somebody elses assertion that I am talking sh1te, that FX is through account only since 08 and have asked that they provide something to back up their claim.

daheff wrote: »

OP has stated that PTSB will only let the OP conduct the FX if the funds are lodged to their account. This is not a random claim. It is based off OPs post.

Advertisement