Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live for work in Drumcondra

Options
  • 13-06-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I got a job in Drumcondra starting in September, I need a pet friendly accomadation. 1 or 2 bed apartment. that will not cost me my whole months wages. Where would i look that would be a good area. Were both 25 but there would be no partys so not a student area as we will have early starts.

Perhaps Would it be possible to drive in from Swords everyday?

I am a country girl so Dublin will be daunting at first so if I could avoid dodgy corners it would be best...

Please Help! L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Swords would definitely be an option for you. It's on the M1 & the M1 Santry/Whitehall exit is very near Drumcondra. However, a lot would depend on what part of Drumcondra you'd be working in. The Santry end of it would grand for easy access to the M1, but if you have to commute to the parts of Drumcondra that are closer to town, or the Mater Hospital, you'd probably spend a fair amount of time sitting in traffic.

There would also be a fair amount of traffic on the M1 at rush hour, but it moves fairly decently. Try driving it during the morning/evening rush hour now, and you'll soon find out if its something you'd be ok doing twice a day. You'd also stand a better chance of getting a house with a garden for the dog, at a decent price in Swords, than you would in the suburbs that are closer to town, such as Drumcondra itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Why not live in Drumcondra?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

At the risk of sounding disingenuous; Drumcondra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Why not live in Drumcondra?

With its proximity to the hospital, colleges and town, it's not cheap..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Perhaps Would it be possible to drive in from Swords everyday?
    Due to traffic, you may be better off getting the bus.

=-=

You mention "early starts". How early is early? Would you be starting before 7am? I ask as the train arrives in on the Maynooth to Connolly line at 6:56am

If you get a dart & train from the Southside (eg: Dun Laoghaire), you can get into Drumcondra at 6:43am Prices start off at €950

Just to open up the area for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I live in Northwood, an estate in Santry, between Drumcondra and Swords. Its really nice, but may be more expensive now, my rent is cheap enough, from going back 3 years now.
    You'd be mad to drive into Drumcondra in the morning, you'll get stuck at Whitehall church, the traffic is nuts there at rush hour. However, the 33 and the 41 go straight from Swords to Drumcondra in about 15 minutes, so you'd be better off on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Not to be overly repetitive, but I would investigate all possible accommodation options in the Dublin 9 area before looking elsewhere. Not sure I'd agree with some of the above - Drumcondra is imho pretty average in terms of Dublin rental costs, particularly at this time of year. Lower Drumcondra also tends to be cheaper. Factor in the cost of commuting if you live somewhere a bus/train journey away, and you may have to go pretty far from work to offset the cost difference.

If budget is an issue, expand your search to Whitehall, Fairview, or Phibsboro. All walkable or a short cycle to Drumcondra, though some parts of these areas are more pleasant than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OP what's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MovingAgain

It was cost that was perhaps forcing us out further than Drumcondra... I would like to spend under €1000 per month on accommodation (that is between two of us).

My OH would start work at 6 and myself at 9 (that is an early start for me)

We have a car and a work van and a pet.. all of those really limit D9 choices!

Im so confused I have never lived in a city before so this is very daunting. I would hope to stay in Dublin for 3 years before moving back down the country.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

We have a car and a work van and a pet.. all of those really limit D9 choices!
    I can see your dilemma now. Your budget will cover a 1 bed apartment like this one, but this kind of property is not going to have 2 parking spaces, and unlikely to be suitable for a pet.

Is there any possibility of finding another person to share with you? For an extra €350, you could get a 3 bed with a garden and plenty of parking in a nice safe estate in Upper Drumcondra like this one. Personally I'd go for that any day, rather than spending 1.5+ hours of your day commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Phibsboro has some cheap accomodation, and is quite close to Drumcondra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

East Wall?

I can see your dilemma now. Your budget will cover a 1 bed apartment like this one, but this kind of property is not going to have 2 parking spaces, and unlikely to be suitable for a pet.

You got it in one! Is it completely crazy to contemplate anything that involves the m50 north in the mornings?

there are nice apartments on distillary road in Drumcondra if only they would accept pets I could fall out of bed at 8.40 for work at 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Pretty difficult to get a place with 2 parking spaces in Drumcondra. Your best bet would be a house with on-street parking. Not sure about pets though!

Pretty difficult to get a place with 2 parking spaces in Drumcondra. Your best bet would be a house with on-street parking. Not sure about pets though!

I dont mind leaving the car parked on the street but could not leave the work van there for insurance reasons!

Looks like I have a busy summer of research ahead of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

East Wall?

What's East Wall like?

Will be looking for a place myself soon.

The Lighthouse Apartments there look pretty nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

djPSB wrote: »
    What's East Wall like?

Will be looking for a place myself soon.

The Lighthouse Apartments there look pretty nice.

I've been there quite a bit as my brother is living there. I think it had a reputation as being a bit of a tough spot ca 10 years or more ago, but it's certainly fine now. Nice location, as your close to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've been there quite a bit as my brother is living there. I think it had a reputation as being a bit of a tough spot ca 10 years or more ago, but it's certainly fine now. Nice location, as your close to town.
    Choose your area well. Part of it is still meant to be "rough", although most of it's okay now.

Seen affordable appartments near ashtown station what is that area like for a female departing the train alone in the evenings/night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ashtown would be fine, Broombridge would not be.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Ashtown would be fine, Broombridge would not be.

Thanks January, i am looking at Royal Canal Park so do you know what it would be like for me walking down to the station, i was at a party there before so know the apartments are nice up there.

Advertisement