Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laid off during probation

Options
  • 13-06-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys,

I need some advice. I got laid off from a job while working for a company. I was in my 7th week of the probation period. I didn't get any proper reasons for why, only told that I was given a warning and I was supposed to 'up my game' from there. However, this alleged warning was only a brief conversation with the manager where I was asked if I liked my job to which I said of course! I feel I was unfairly dismissed because I gave everything to the job and got on really well with all employees, except one, an assistant manager. Coincidently enough, he was the person who laid me off. Can managers just dismiss you if they feel they don't get along with you? What are my rights in appealing this matter if any?

Thanks!
    (any advice would be extremely helpful! :))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

sorry to tell you, but during the probation period you can be let go in exactly the way you were.
    The Acts do not apply to the following:

(j) an employee who is on probation or undergoing training at the beginning of employment, provided that the duration of probation or training is one year or less and is specified in the written contract of employment

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/dismissal/unfair_dismissal.html

The only exception is if you feel you were dismissed due to one of the accepted 9 grounds of discrimination:
    •Family status
    •Sexual orientation
    •Religion
    •Age (does not apply to a person under 16)
    •Disability
    •Race
    •Membership of the Traveller community.

So unless you feel you were sacked because you are a woman/traveller/black/gay/married/catholic etc etc you cannot make a claim for unfair dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Eva1810 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I need some advice. I got laid off from a job while working for a company. I was in my 7th week of the probation period. I didn't get any proper reasons for why, only told that I was given a warning and I was supposed to 'up my game' from there. However, this alleged warning was only a brief conversation with the manager where I was asked if I liked my job to which I said of course! I feel I was unfairly dismissed because I gave everything to the job and got on really well with all employees, except one, an assistant manager. Coincidently enough, he was the person who laid me off. Can managers just dismiss you if they feel they don't get along with you? What are my rights in appealing this matter if any?

Thanks!
    (any advice would be extremely helpful! :))

TBH they need very little reason to lay you off during your probation.. The function of probation is a time when the company can evaluate you and your productivity and fit in the overall scheme of things..
    Not getting on with someone in management during your probation is never good and is indeed probably why you got let go.. And it doesn't really matter if you think the disagreement was 100% his fault..

Move on, and next time remember that probation is a very bad time to be noticed by anyone in management for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eva1810

Thanks guys

Advertisement