Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII sites trip. Suggestions please.

Options
  • 13-06-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

In a couple of weeks I am going from Brussels down to the Normandy beaches.

Can anyone suggest other stops along the way, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Visit the free war museum in Brussels, park Cinquantenaire, surprisingly large tank and aircraft collection

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah been there a few times, was only thinking yesterday that I am due another visit. Very impressive place all round.

So far I have decided to visit Normandy and Bastogne.There is a battle of the Bulge museum just across the boarder in Luxembourg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Gasp ! where to start. Just back this weekend from a family tour of all the Normandy sites. Top favs were The American cemetery at Colleville-sur-mer (featured in saving private ryan) which overlooks Omaha Beach, the grand atlantic bunker which is near Juno beach and is left exactly like it was when the Germans were there with all artifacts on display, Pegasus bridge is nearby and the museum is well worth a look, it had the original bridge and glider.

All the beaches can be visited in a fly by, we visited the Battle of Normandy museum in Bayeux which is rated highly on tripadvisor but I wasn't that impressed. If you intend to go to lots of museums, get a discount card, we didn't and we got asked for it at most places. The museum at Mount Ormel was another hit, this tells the story of the final defeat of the German army as it fled France in August 44, it was here that the 'Falaise pocket' was finally closed with a huge number of casualties and the loss of most of the German tanks and armour. Its between Falaise and Argentan, about 30 mins south of Caen.

We also went to Villers Bocage, nothing much to see there now, it's where Michael Wittmann shot up a line of British Armour in June 44, we also found the field where he met his end, its on the road south of Caen, we also visited his grave in La Cambe German cemetery, its near Omaha beach.

All the graveyards are worth a look and they are dotted all over the area. St Mere Eglise is also interesting, if you saw the 'longest day' you may remember that the US paratroopers landed in the main square on the night of 5th/6th June and were shot as they landed in the trees beside the church. One guy got stuck on the church roof and they still have a figure plus parachute hanging there. The stain glass window is worth a look here too, its near Utah beach. There is an army/navy store in the square that has original artifacts for sale, I got a reichs pass book issued in 1942, its a german passport, the photo of the guy made us laugh, it was only 30 euro and well worth the price:p you may get a good souvenir here;

Point-de-hoc is the cliffs when the Americans had to climb and the original barbed wire and emplacements are still there, the ground is all cratered from the navel bombardment. If you need any more specific info, feel free to PM me. Enjoy your trip :D

Cool thanks for that :D

I intend to stay in Normandy for a couple of days and I really want to visit Bastogne and surrounding area too. Think I will drive straight to Normandy and work my way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Hi,

First time posting in this section but I know of quite a few museums in France and Belgium ie the route you thinking of taking. :)

First up is the museum below. If you click on the link it will bring you to the face book page.

Liberators Museum - Normandy 1944

If will post the other museums shortly. I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭The Dragon

Hi,

December 44 Historical Museum (La Gleize, Ardennes, Belgique)

www.december44.com

Baugnez 44 Historical Museum (Baugnez, Ardennes, Belgique)

www.baugnez44.be

Both of these museums belong to the same person. I believe the first museum "December 44 Historical Museum" he recently acquired.

Thanks for that, they all seem worth a visit. Will be added to my list :D

Advertisement