Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop in Waterford

Options
  • 13-06-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Any idea where is the best place to buy in will be purchasing in a month or two . PC WORLD and soundstore seem to be cutting back on stock by the looks of things .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Harvey Norman sell them but they dont have a big selection. If I was you I'd be buying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

DID, Kelly & Dollard are other options or you might bag a bargain here.

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/laptops-and-netbooks/laptops/505/county-Waterford/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

IMO over the last few years Soundstore is the place to go.
    I've bought 2 laptops there, work and personal.
    They were quality machines and the staff knew their stuff.

One began to lag on me after a while, I brought it down, got a system restore done and when that didnt work it was sent back to the manufacturers and a replacement given.(Dont think you get that service in PCWORLD)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

I would highly recommend soundstore. I bought a laptop which was well specced and cheaper than others online. Their selection is small but all bases are covered. I picked one out I really liked and enquired. Was advised they would have it Friday morning. Went in on Friday and as the salesman remembered me, he just went out back to get it. The staff were polite and helpful and did a deal on a few other bits while I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i wouldn't go near pc world anymore,in january of this year i bought a monopod,it was on sale , when i was at the till the ignormamus behind the counter insisted i pay the old price. i was short a few cents and wouldn't let me off, then i told her the item was on sale and i had to bring her down to it and show her,i then bought the monopod, which is a complete heap of ****, better off going to soundstore or online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Go online, I was laptop shopping there in September and then again April. The section in town is crap very much overpriced for the same spec you can get online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

i wouldn't go near pc world anymore,in january of this year i bought a monopod,it was on sale , when i was at the till the ignormamus behind the counter insisted i pay the old price. i was short a few cents and wouldn't let me off, then i told her the item was on sale and i had to bring her down to it and show her,i then bought the monopod, which is a complete heap of ****, better off going to soundstore or online

So you saw a device and knew its spec and then it turns out its crap, thats not really PC Worlds fault is it? the product and its spec were fully shown im sure when it was on display, Staff being smart well youll get that in most shops wont you, depending on what sort of a day theyve had.

In the spirit of spending money to help the local economy that would be nice if you could pick one shop in Waterford, I had a similar thread and most people came back and said your best bet would be online.

I would advise you though if you have an old laptop to have it serviced and looked at before you splash out, I was all set to spend in the area of €1000 on a laptop and because i couldnt really find one i liked i said ach to hell with it i will go to a laptop repair shop to see what he says, he told me my computer was fine no need to splash out just needed a service and cleaned up and the memory was expanded and im glad i didnt buy a new one, coz this won is perfekt now. I was really surprised by his work and will highly recomend him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ that's the thing in most cases. A memory upgrade is almost as good as a new laptop for folks who are not really 'working' their computer. Couple that with a restore system to the day it was bought and it's as good as new for most users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I was looking for one recently too and found the stuff in Pc world, argos and harvey norman to be competitive in fairness... maybe if your buying a high spec machine for gaming you'l do better online.... but for just browising I'd keep it local for the sake of a few euro

oh....and as it turns out it developed a fault and had to bring it back to get fixed... I was glad I bought it in a shop in the end... saved me the hassle of posting.... if you do buy online maybe they'l have a collect and return... maybe something to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

How about OP post your computer's model number and any specs you know and we can see should you upgrade. I know its not the PC forum but for the sake of speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

old gregg wrote: »
    ^ that's the thing in most cases. A memory upgrade is almost as good as a new laptop for folks who are not really 'working' their computer. Couple that with a restore system to the day it was bought and it's as good as new for most users.

Yeah my computer was like new after i got it sorted, i think it cost like 90 euros in total for the service and and for a memory increase, the computer was much better afterwards. Oh and depending on what type of computer you are looking at? If its just for browsing and a general home computer maybe you should consider Tesco, I know Tesco Ballybeg had some great deals some computers had 100 euro off their price, I think they were trying to clear their stock and if youve a club card youll get alot of points for buying a laptop for 3-400 euro with 100 euro off, I know its not ideal and theres down sides to buying in a shop like that but 100 euros off is nothing to be sniffed at,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Dell Inspiron 1720 3gb ram ,220 GB HD

decies wrote: »
    Dell Inspiron 1720 3gb ram ,220 GB HD
    What Operating System? Minor question, when did you last back everything up and do a factory restore?

I reckon any lappy benefits from this when getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

Got below in Argos the other day. Had done a good bit of looking online and local shops and went with the Acer in the end as it seems to very good specifications for the price, i5 processor etc, and I have no complaints as of yet.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089521.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

old gregg wrote: »
    What Operating System? Minor question, when did you last back everything up and do a factory restore?

I reckon any lappy benefits from this when getting older.

windows dreaded vista. Dont think i ever did a factory restore.

decies wrote: »
    windows dreaded vista. Dont think i ever did a factory restore.

I found Vista Ok as long as I used it stripped down for gigging but reckon it was a bugger for every day use for most folks. 7 will run better after a factory restore to clean out the crap but only if you are comfortable with doing it. Happy to help if you need it. Not shilling in any way, just a musician who's used laptops for many years and is really conservative about installing stuff that will slow sh1t down.

Advertisement